LONDON IS LOW ON YANKS

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:20 AM
Edgar

LONDON IS LOW ON YANKS

According to a recent report the occupancy rate of London hotels has dropped by at least 45% and seems to be staying there. The majority of visitors to London and UK is American and they have stopped coming since Sep. 11. Tourist board expects the losses to be in the billions of pounds. <BR> <BR>So, what do we hear about London hotels finally lowering their rates to more reasonable levels? Hotels there have always been SO expensive for what one gets.....perhaps this will make them realize that they need to lower the costs a bit.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Jess

I couldn't agree with you more, Edgar. I'm in the process of planning my first overseas trip to London and the prices for one person in a hotel is unbelieveable. I've actually managed to find apartments for rent on a weekly basis far less expensive.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:43 PM
Andrew

I agree with you both. I've been planning my trip ( I leave on Thursday ) for quite some time, and got a room at the Sanderson for $1250 for 5 nights. I wanted to check out the "hippest hotel in the world" according to British GQ, but hope I'm not disappointed with snobby staff.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:44 PM
Merriem

I was so pleased to find a decent rate through londontown.com at the Beaufort Hotel, for two person for 99 pounds. That included breakfast, snacks, and all drinks. Not bad for a highly rated hotel.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
mike

I am going to London in Jan. and found hotels willing to offer a 30% - 45% discount just by asking. That was fairly consistent with every 4* I emailed. Ended up with a one bedroom apt. at Chequers Hotel in Ken. for 99GBP per night (and that INCLUDES all taxes). Regular rate was just under 190GBP. Ask. Good rates are there! M.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:31 AM
Nigel Doran

I agree with the last poster. I would say that those who ask generally get. Lastminute.com is a good place to go as is laterooms.com. Some hotels are discounting their rooms, but perhaps their rack rates are still the same. <BR> <BR>Remember that tax and service (if any) is usually included in the price. I just stayed in a hotel in D C where the daily tax came to $23 on a $169 room. What you see is what you pay.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Tracy

Hi, <BR> <BR>Get on the phone and *negotiate.* You can bet that they'll be happy to see you when you arrive . . . <BR> <BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/bus...00/1614637.stm <BR> <BR>Since this article came out, they're estimating that US tourists are 60% down from normal - tourism and the service industries are hurting, both sides of the Pond.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Lori

I am planning a trip to London in the end of November and I can't believe how cheap the hotels are right now. <BR> <BR>If anyone wants to get the best hotel rates go to www.hoteldiscounts.com <BR> <BR>I for one intend to take advantage of these great offers! <BR> <BR>Good Luck everyone!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Book Chick

London's low on us? They should send out for some; I think right now with 6 Yanks, you get a free order of fries! <BR>BC

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:14 AM
judi

I checked the prices of the Millennium Gloucester at londontown.com and hoteldiscounts.com and londontown is a bit cheaper. It appears that there is a charge for cancellations at hoteldiscounts but not at londontown.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Judy

Hey Judi, you go girlfriend....you are right on top of things as usual &gt;g&lt;. I wish I COULD go! I LOVE London. <BR> Book Chick: very very funny! LOL <BR> Judy

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:10 PM
gogoellen

I guess I am planning too early! (a bit excited!) We will be in London in June! I have emailed MANY hotels and few have offered any discount at all! Should I hold off and keep my fingers crossed??? What do you guys think? I bought our plane tickets already! Less than $500, leaving from SF and flying home from Shannon, Ireland. I thought that was pretty good for traveling in June!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Vita

I'll say! Where did you find that fare?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:32 PM
gogoellen

I am not at home....I will have to double check the name....but I am pretty sure it was cheaptickets.com. I have gone back on since then trying to see if I could get one more ticket (my son decided that maybe he could come with us). Anyway, now all I can find are $970!!! I had been checking prices for a long time and when I saw that $475 come up, I grabbed them!!! Anyway, I'll double check the name of the company, but I am fairly certain that is who I got the tickets from!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:34 PM
sonia

We just got back last night -- we were visiting family in England, and finished up with 2 nights in London. Following advice posted here, I checked with Londontown.com a week before we flew over, and got a room at the Millenium Baileys in Gloucester Road for 60 pounds per night (70 with VAT). Breakfast not included, but also not necessary -- nice patisseries and coffee shops around.<BR><BR>Baileys is a 4* hotel, a short stone's throw from Gloucester Road tube station -- very convenient for museums, shopping, and in a real "neighborhood" where people live and shop (which we prefer to the more the touristy locations of some hotels). We would be happy to stay there again.<BR><BR>I thought the Londontown site was very well done, and they delivered as promised. I booked online, got an immediate email confirmation. They also tell you how to cancel if necessary, no hidden problems that I could detect.<BR><BR>There were lots of people in London, but probably fewer of us Yanks than in the past. (It's holiday shopping time there too, so hard to judge.) On Saturday evening we went on a "Original Walks" tour of Hampstead pubs, and our guide Emily asked who there was American. Out of maybe 60 on the walk, I'd guess 12 - 15 were American -- and she and others in the group gave us an approving round of thanks for coming! We love London, and were very glad to be able to spend time there again. Our BA flight home to JFK was full...

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:35 PM
gogoellen

Correction, I got our tickets from <BR>Lowestfare.com. NOT cheaptickets. Like I said, I feel great about less than $500 roundtrip to London and then flying home from Shannon, back to S.F. Maaybe, I could have done better with a consolidator but no one had those dates yet...so I went ahead and got the tickets! Hope this helps anyone looking for tickets.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Book Chick

For heaven's sake, the special where you can order 6 of us & get free fries is still going & now they're throwing in a 6-pack of American beer at no additional charge! We're still mad-cow free, so dial up, operators are standing by to take your calls, & order up some Yanks now, if you're in the UK.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Malena

I am travelling to London over the Christmas holiday and just got a rate of US$60 per night plus taxes for the 4 star Copthorne Tara Kensington hotel through Priceline. I simply could not believe I was able to save so much and still stay in a 4 star hotel.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 04:42 AM
Maira

Londontown.com is offering 62% discount on a long list of hotels in London.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 05:34 AM
Judi

I will vouch for Londontown.com. We used them last month and they deliver what they promise. I just took a peek at what is available around Christmas and the Millennium Bailey's comes up at GBP 60 plus tax. It is a cute hotel near the Gloucester Station and Harrods. Their restaurant, Olives, is very nice. We didn't stay there because we couldn't get a deal but we stayed at Millennium Gloucester. It is pleasant but much larger and feels more like a business hotel. Have a great time, Malena!