Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

50th Anniversary Worthy London Experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary in the UK next year in London, Bath and the Cotswolds. We are looking for over the top memorable experiences to help mark the occassion. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of really wonderful "over the top" possibilities. But a few might include:

staying at Ston Easton Park www.stoneaston.co.uk/ near Bath and VERY nice.

A hot air ballon ride in the Cotswolds www.ballooninginthecotswolds.co.uk/

A Champagne flight on the London Eye. I did this w/ some friends last Feb and it was amazing.

Dinner or lunch at either the Fat Duck www.fatduck.co.uk/ or at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons www.manoir.com/web/olem/olem_a2a_home.jsp
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at Ston Easton Park; very Edwardian in feel and with some magnificent antique furniture. I still lust after the Sheridan chair in our bedroom, not to mention the Chippendale bed.

There's a huge billiards table in the Downstairs area.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM

If you want to dine in the Fat Duck, you have to book two calendar months in advance. Lunch might be easier, but don't bank on it.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM

There are just as many over the top experiences nere as anywhere else - though we don't really do over the top in the Cotswolds.

But before we all rack our brains about things like access to the Royal Enclosure during Royal Ascot week, it might help to get an idea of when, what they're interested in and how big the party is.

Because some people might regard tings quite quick and easy to arrange (like private access to the inner circle at Stonehenge) as over the top: others might regard them as insufferably tedious.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM

My family went to England to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary several years ago.

My advice is know your parents well, know what they like, what they're interested in, what their energy level is.

The idea of MY parents in a hot air balloon would be completely wrong. But for others, it might be perfect.

I have many times recommended the Landmark Trust, if that works into your plans. They have completely spoiled me for anywhere else.

For us, all going together, on a low-key "greatest hits" trip with some fun extras thrown in was perfect.
(For example, I took note of joke remarks my mom had made over the years about things she read in novels, like having a hamper made up at Fortnums, and made one up as a surprise for a picnic.)

I had to occasionally remind myself: It's THEIR trip. Yes, they would probably like X once they got there, but once you present the options, and they say no, back off.

If you tell us what your parents like, people here can tell you all sorts of related things that are special. Do they like dancing? Or a kind of music? Any particular food? Anything related to their jobs or hobbies?

My parents absolutely loved their trip. But it would bore the crap out of most people.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

How amazing - 50 years! No wonder you want to make it special for them. Here are a few ideas and websites to visit:

- Buy a Gift has some ideas for couples including a spa day for two which could be fun:
http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Product/Id...les_Experience
or
A flight over the Cotswolds
http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Product/Id..._Minute_Flight)

- Perhaps they's be interested in renewing their vows at a lovely English estate like Sudeley - weddings.sudeleycastle.co.uk/
or
Berkeley - www.berkeley-castle.com/weddings.html
or
Longleat - www.longleat.co.uk/weddings.html

- Are your parents interested in WWII themed events? - in addition to the Cabinet War Rooms/Imperial War Museum in London, you could go further afield to Dover and Bletchley. Wiltshire also hosts a wartime weekend every year that you can read about at:
http://www.easier.com/view/Travel/At...le-132296.html

- The Smithsonian institute offers one of a kind tours to England - they are expensive but deluxe. The two that your parents might like include:
Churchill - http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/t...hillengland09/
or
Mystery Readers England -
http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/t...ssicmystery08/

Last minute.com (www.lastminute.com) in England often has some interesting packages.
- What about a deluxe haircut, makeover and photo shoot for your parents
or
- Become a Laird or Lady of Kincavel
or
- Name a rose or star
or
- Afternoon tea at the ritz

- There are a lot of sites you can book on a 'private hire' basis for a cocktail party and tour. These include:
- The cabinet war rooms
- The Pump Room and Costume Museum in Bath: http://www.romanbaths.co.uk/index.cf...B4DFC6A7DF6D9C

The National Trust offers many of its properties for private hire: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...rivatehire.htm

- Pick a play you know they would love and book a private box - followed by a lovely meal somewhere.

Final idea - why not rent a classic car - a Jag/Bentley/Rolls Royce and go somewhere in the Cotswolds for a deluxe picnic. People like flanner and janis can probably give you some special places - my suggestion would be Kenilworth or Sudeley.

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were given a gift voucher from friends for afternoon tea at the Ritz which was very special - and very expensive! It's not the sort of thing we would have thought to do ourselves and we had a great time, food was good and plentiful (cakes, scones, sandwiches and tea) and service was excellent. The room they serve tea in is beautiful. You have to book quite a long way ahead, all the details are on the website.

Don't worry too much either if your parents will not have really dressy clothes for the afternoon tea, most people were smart but more casual than I expected.

Kay
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Suggest they book that room at the Covent Garden Hotel which has, reputedly, the BIGGEST bed in London.

The charge for the room alone will make any London stay VERY memorable!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Hi Moonriver - A pleasure flight along the Dorset coast?

A balloon or helicopter ride in the Bath area?

Steve