Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Trip to England - 10 Days - Just London or London & Bath?

Old Nov 16th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling to London in January for my first trip to England. I will be staying 10 nights and am wondering whether it would be best to find a bed and breakfast in London to stay in for the whole trip (with day trips out of the city to Cambridge, Windsor, Canterbury, Oxford, and maybe Leeds) or if it would be a good idea to take a bus out to Bath upon arriving at Heathrow, spend 3 nights in Bath to see the area and visit Stonehenge, then spend the rest of the trip in London. I'd like to see as much as possible but I also don't want to unnecessarily stress myself out overdoing it as I am sure the city and day trips would more than keep me busy. I plan to use public transportation and buses, etc. to get around rather than renting a car. Any recommendations on how I structure the trip?
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The first tow or three days in Bath would be great.

I assume you mean Leads Castle (which is nothing to do with 'Leeds' the city). There is absolutely no reason to visit Leeds Castle in January. The main reason for going there is the garden/grounds which will be nothing in January.

Windsor, Hampton Court Palace, either Oxford or Cambridge (the two are very similar experiences), and Canterbury are all good day trips from London. However, with just a week in the city you really won't have time for more than one or two and even that is a stretch. So IF you want a lot of day trips - ditch staying over in Bath. If you can pick one or two of the out-of-town trips, then yes, stay a couple of nights in Bath.

I personally would not stay in a London B&B for a whole week. Those four walls will get very small very fast. I'd rent an apartment. But if you want to stay in a hotel/B&B I'd recommend this one if you can get in and it fits in your budget - they do book up far ahead. http://www.bb-belgravia.com/index.php

Fantastic/convenient location, reasonable rates, good breakfasts, and free wifi.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:45 AM

I would also vote for seeing Bath, though we have done it twice in a single day and felt we saw what we needed to see. The most wonderful thing I remember about Bath are the incredible floral displays, which will be missing in January. But the town itself is lovely. Last time we took a guided walk and enjoyed that a great deal.
Do try to see Stonehenge, which I found magical both when we saw it before it was fenced and after.
London is amazing. While not as beautiful as some other European capitals, I always feel as if I am In the midst of an incredibly important place, historically speaking, and can almost feel the history and power of the place swirling around me. Hard to explain but I love being there.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I couldn't see why you would go to Bath if you could go to Leeds and York, but then jansj suggests you mean Leeds castle.

Having been to Bath many times (and in January) I can't understand why you are going there, just a damp, dull shopping centre with a a few Roman sites in the centre. Still I guess you've done your research.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:34 AM

London is amazing, even in the winter. There are some pics of London in late Jan in this link (the ones of the Tower and the Shard). http://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gir...7636964726324/

I so applaud you for staying in London for a good amount of time, not just a couple nights. You will really get to know our great city.

We went to Bath in January years ago, and yes it was wet and grey sky, but the buildings are so beautiful. The roman Baths are amazing. If it interests you by all means spend a couple days there. I believe you can do a tour a Stonehenge from there as well.

While in London be sure to warm up in our lovely pubs! A great way to do this is to take a pub walk with London Walks www.walks.com they do great walking tours that are very affordable. They also do great day trips so that could be an option as well!

Enjoy London!
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM

I would recommend that you look at London Walks and do a Bath day trip with them. I did the same, and it was worth every penny and every minute. It did not feel rushed and their guides are very helpful. London is huge and there is tons to see the first time around. I'd spend most of my time there with perhaps one trip to Bath.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I believe I will go ahead and visit Bath and Stonehenge and then only take two day trips out of the city of London. I'm definitely planning on doing at least one London Walk.

I especially appreciated the advice about lodging. I had thought travelling in January it wouldn't be hard to find places to stay but I discovered accommodations book quicker than I expected.

Thank you!!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no 'off season' in London really. The tourists are there in summer and everyone else is there the rest of the year (plus some tourists of course)