5 hours in Zurich!!

Search

5 hours in Zurich!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 hours in Zurich!!

Will probaby have about a 5 hour layover in Zurich. I was there about 14 yrs ago but was wondering whether it was better to visit a small town outside of Zurich or stay in Zurich itself for the time I have.

Appreciate your comments.

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:47 PM

Good evening, If your layer is 5 ours
between flites. are you goilng to return to L;ptem an hour or two before
departure. Zurich is only 13 mins by rail from Kloten to the Bahnhof, it is
at the hed of the Bahnhofstrasse. If only you have about 3 hours you could
walk and sightsee along the Bahnhofstrasse and possibly if time
permats have lunch, Movenpick or etc...
also toys at Franz Carl Weber, Bahnhofstrasse, 62 shouldn't be missed
Richard of LaGrange Park,Il..
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:19 PM

We have the same predicament end of September. We are going to stash our luggage in a locker at the train station in the airport terminal. I plan to head for the Bahnhofstrasse, eat some lunch, get out my Fodors guide telling me where the best chocolate shop is (been there before) and buy some goodies! If time permits I am going to head down to that church with the Chagal Windows, Fraumunster. They are unbelievably beautiful and I would love to see them again. The Bahnhaofstrasse has the most fashionable shops you can imagine on it. I wouldn't try to go anywhere outside of Zurich myslef.

Look at your Fodors guide (Rick Steves, too); you can walk down the Bahnhofstrasse, find a chocolate shop or two on a side street, go to the Church, cross the river by the church, and walk back through the old town (incidentally, lots of places to eat in the old town as well) cross back over the river to the train station, and head back to the airport.

There was a really picturesque shopping area, which I cannot find on the map at the moment, just off the Bahnhofstrasse which had an exquisite chocolate shop. It might be listed in the Rick Steves book which I no longer have. Perhaps Ursula will be able to tell us (if she sees this post).

I think Zurich is very under rated and highly recommend it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:40 PM

Frommers lists 3 chocolate shops: Gennoni at Seefeldstrasse 4, Sprungli at Paradeplatz, and Teuscher at Storchengasse 9. Teuscher is the one I believe I liked the best because it is on a quaint street and smelled heavenly and was decorated beautifully. I bet we can get a map of Zurich as the TI at the airport before getting on the train.

There are many outdoor cafes to eat at in the old town or just sit and have a drink (pedestrian only street). If you feel like fondue, The Adler Hotel has a quaint restaurant in it that serves fondue (www.hotel-adler.ch).
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thank you for your responses. It's been 14 years since I've been there and I look forward to spending time there again, if only for a few hours.

The chocolate sounds great. That's something I didn't take advantage of last time!!

I'll make up for it this time.

Bob
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 04:53 AM

I live in Zurich and agree it is underrated. It is a small town easily seen on foot (in comparison to other European cities) so take advantage of your 5 hours by staying in town.

If you are in town on a Tuesday or Friday morning before about 11, there is a great farmers and flower market in Burliplatz on the lake. Just walk straight down the Banhofstrasse from the main train station basically until you hit the lake, you will see the stalls on your left as you approach Burliplatz. There are several bakers selling here as well, you can have a breakfast of fresh bread or chocolate croissants.

On Saturdays until the end of October there is a flea market from about 8-4 pm at Burliplatz. Lots of fun, junk and good stuff. There is a small stand here selling bratwurst and sandwhiches.

IMO, the Fraumunster is best seen before Noon, as most of the windows get the morning sun, and on a sunny morning they are quite spectacular. It is closed on Sundays, although you can attend a service if you want (in Swiss German).

It is also worth walking across the bridge over the river from the Fraumunster and going to the Grossmunster (cathedral), mostly to climb the tower and get a great view of Zurich, the lake and the Alps on a clear day. (Need to work off that chocolate somehow. . . )

Both sides of the river are charming areas with restaurants and shops. My favourite walk would be to go down the Banhofstrasse from the main train station, go left on Renweg (a charming street) and head up to the Lindenhof (take the first left off Renweg, then look for signs) to see this pretty shaded square with a fine view over the river. Then walk over to St Peter's church, which I think is on the prettiest square in Zurich. No cars in these areas, which is nice. From St Peters head down to the river and onto the Fraumunster and Grossmunster. There are many restaurants in these areas. From the Grossmunster you can then walk along Limmatquai on the river down to the lake (more restaurants here, including the Odeon where Karl Marx and James Joyce used to hang out), and take a tram either from Bellevue or Bukliplatz back up to the main train station or walk, its about a mile.

The Neiderdorf/Oberdorf area behind the Grossmunster has more trendy shops, restaurants and antique shops, including many bookshops. Worth a stroll as well if you have time.

Shops close at 4 pm on Saturdays, and generally around 6 pm on weekdays. Note that if your layover is on a Sunday, all shops will be closed, except for some in the train station. There is a Sprungli chocolate shop in the main train station, which I believe is open on Sunday. (You can also buy chocolate at the airport.) There are ATMs at the airport, in the main train station and several along the Banhofstrasse. It is useful to have cash (Swiss Francs, not Euros), esp smaller restaurants which may not take credit cards.

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:17 AM

I appreciate these tips, too.. was looking for 'route' recommendations for walking thru town... Thanks!