5 days in Paris with a 13 year old girl

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my grand-daughter to Paris this June. Would like hotel suggestions for a twin beddded room 100e or less. Also some recommendations for good inexpensive eating places and suggestions of some off the beaten path kind of things to do.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM

There's another thread going right now. A man taking his grandson and seeking twin bed room.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34588016
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:21 PM

hmmmmm. Could a double love blossom between a grandma and a grandpa, and between a couple of grandkids?
Stay tuned.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM

LOL! I had the same thought <i>after</i> posted!

Helen: That certainly wasn't what I was implying! There are some good suggestions over there.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM

What is your granddaughter interested in? Ask her to read a few guide books on Paris and pick out a few things she would like to see. The book &quot;Kidding Around Paris&quot; is written for 10 year olds, but she will get a good idea of what she will see in Paris. My daughter also read a little about the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay and had several things she wanted to see in each museum - Degas' &quot;Little Dancer&quot; was her favorite. I also think your granddaughter will enjoy walking along the Champs Elysee and looking in the store windows, and browsing through the big department stores, such as Au Printemps. And like all kids, she would enjoy a boat ride on the Seine in the Bateaux Mouche.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I can tell you what my grandaughter likes to do every time we go to Paris.

1- going to the top of Notre Dame.
2- same for le Sacre Coeur.
3- Eiffel Tower is a must.
4- Visit Saint Denis Cathedral.
5- Walk around Montmartre.
6- The Louvre and the Museum D'Orsay.
Brooke loves to draw and paint.
7- These are her favourite's places in
Paris, that we make certain to see
everytime we go back there.
8- Brooke is also 13 years old and we
will be in Paris in June also.

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I was in Paris with my daughters, aged 12/14 at the time. I would add the Rodin Museum and Versailles to your list.

We found lots of inexpensive sidewalk cafes to eat meals. Our small boutique hotel served breakfast so that was easy.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:33 PM

We took our daughter to Paris for the first time when she was 13 and I wish I had a picture of the expression on her face when she first stepped out into the city by the Seine. But I have it in my mind, and it's a great memeory. She's headed back to Italy next week (is 21 now) and believe me, this trip had much to do with it.

Besides many of the good suggestions already, I'd recommend getting her a copy of Rick Steves Mona Winks so that she'll have some background for the museums. Have her look through art books to get an idea of artists she likes so that you might focus on those she's already interested in.

Also, try to see the ceiling at the opera house and there's a terrific and not too expensive restaurant nearby called Le Grand Cafe (you can check out their website at legrandcafe.com) where the food is excellent and the entire place is stained glass (ceilings as well).

I'd also add the Pompidou if she likes modern art--it was one of our favorites. And also go up to the top of Arc de Tromphe.

What a lucky granddaughter she is to have grandparents like you! Have a great trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:42 PM

No one has said anything about a hotel, so let's provoke some suggestions: The Hotel Cosmos, at 35 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud, has rooms at 55 euros per night. (That's per room, not per person). This is a small, pleasant, family run hotel, with an elevator, that does quite a bit of business with European tour groups. The rooms have been retrofitted with bathrooms. There are four Metro stations, Republic, Parmentier, Goncourt and Oberkampf, easily walkable from the hotel. From the Goncourt Metro station, the Seine is 10 minutes away. The neighborhood is lively, with a wide choice of restaurants.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM

Helen:
My goodness. I'm sorry I blotted your thread with that angry looking graphic...looks like a little devil. It was supposed to be blushing and was fine when I first posted it. When I saw it this morning...well, I blushed again. LOL!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:22 AM

Depending on her tastes, you might want to also look into either a bike or segway tour. our 13 year old enjoyed the segway a great deal. Skip the boat on the seine routine; Versailles was great; if she is really into tennis, take a trip out to Roland Garros stadium; pantheon can also be interesting. we stayed in the latin quarter and usually stopped at little sidwalk cafes - nothing extravagant or really 'planned' - prix fixe menus were a great deal. buy bottled water from a market to carry along with you.