5 days in Paris.. Monday to Friday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will begin my honeymoon in Paris on February. Arriving on Monday, leaving early Saturday. Should I buy tickets to tours before leaving via internet? Or should I buy on site, considering is low season February?

Also, any suggested tour or activity is welcome... I'll appreciate.

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

I don't know what tours you may be interested in but you can see all of Paris just by walking or by metro. That would be my choice given your limited time. So much to see in Paris alone. I recommend the Streetwise Paris map for getting around Paris. It was my bible. I also liked A-Z Paris (may not have the name right) which shows all the arrondisements and what's located in them.

Check out Rick Steves Paris and Earl Steinbickers' France Daytrips for walking tours on your own in Paris and elsewhere.

I don't know about tours but you can find many within this website. When I left Paris for a daytrip I took the train to wherever - Chartes, Versailles, Chantilly & Rouen - and did it on my own. I was definitely a newbie to Paris but it wasn't difficult at all.

If you think you'll visit a lot of museums, then get the museum pass which you can get at your first museum and, I believe, in the metro stations. You can check out the rate and museums (openings) on the web.

Hope this helps. Nancy
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM

Since you will be on your honeymoon, I would suggest that you see a few things you are interested in but do not try to cram in too much. Once you see Paris, you will want to return again and again, and get to all the 'must sees' then. On this trip, see some wonderful things, maybe one major and one minor a day, based on the happy couple's interests but don't stress trying to see everything. There is too much. Enjoy this trip at a more leisurely pace. Savor your walks and dinners and the gardens and most of all, just enjoy being in Paris. Relax some, just on this trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM

We are also going to be in Paris Monday to Friday next July captainunit, so I have read your replies with interest.
Can anyone recommend apartment accommodation, reasonable in a good location for two couples?
We want to train from Paris to the Dordogne area, near Agen, any suggestions on booking trains?
With thanks, Dreamweaver
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM

You have plenty of time to enjoy Paris on your honeymoon. You can do and see a lot in four or five days. February is a cold, wet time, but it's Paris !! And Paris is beautiful any time! I would not buy anything ahead of time. Once you arrive in Paris, go to the ParisVision office over near the Louvre (the concierge at your hotel should be able to direct you to their office). There you can purchase your museum pass, the hop on/off bus pass and your metro pass. These three items will allow you to get around town with ease. They also have sight seeing tours etc if you prefer guided tours. http://en.parisvision.com, guided tours in France in coach or minibus. But if you are the adventurous types, here's an excellent website for learning the way around town. Just put in your hotel address and from there figure out which busses and which metros to take. http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/cv_en/carteparis.php
I found this site incredibly helpful! Spend time browsing thru the Paris books - my fav place was Barnes & Nobles for months before my last trip ..and I've been several times! Figure out ahead of time what you really want to see and then plan your days around that. A side-trip to Versailles is definitely worth the trip! One idea might be to hire a personal guide for at least one day to walk you through things. Email Michael at [email protected] to see if he is still doing personal tours. There are a couple of ladies too that do personal/photography tours - tho I would have to do some research to come up with their email addresses. I think Michael knows them and most likely could provide their information if he is not available for the times you and your hubby will be there. OH, i found it ... their names are LInda and Christiane and you can email them at [email protected]. I love love love Paris! Recently I made a trip totally on my own and it was amazing. Oh, the one thing I can recommend to book in advance is a reservation at Le Jules Vern Restaurant up in the Eiffel Tower. The dinner hour is usually booked up Months and months in advance but you might have better luck with the lunch time reservation. My daughter and I did this several years ago and it was worth every penny. Anyway .. enjoy!!!!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM

We used the Frommer's walking guide to Paris, which had great do-it-yourself walking/Metro itineraries. We were there for about four-five days. Saw quite a bit for that amount of time.

We bought our Metro tix and the musee pass from discoverfrance.com ahead of time. We just felt a little more secure doing that, but I'm sure you can do it yourself when you're there. We just felt, as first-timers, a little more secure doing it beforehand.

Just walk and take the metro as much as you can. We never used a taxi. Took the RER to Versaille. Took the RER from CDG to Les Halles. It's such a user-friendly place. Just do your research ahead of time so you feel like you use all your time wisely.

But it is the most romantic place, and you'll be on your honeymoon. Don't worry if you don't see everything you want!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Wow,, plenty of good info and suggestions... Really appreciate!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM

Dreamweaver, see a topic I started recently on a really good accomm. find we had recently for Paris. We've booked, but haven't yet stayed. I'm sure you'll agress that the prices and locations are terrific. Hope it helps. Click on my profile and look through al of my topics until you get to the one headed Paris accommodation - what a find!
All the best.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
TC

Our very romantic week in Paris.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...--a-report.cfm
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Suugestion:

Be sure to take a Seine Boat Cruise. All of the major ones have advance online purchase for a discount, but (as far as I know) the only one that doesn't require you to pick your date/time in advance is:

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/index.htm

The normally-12 Euro ticket is 8 Euros. Pay by credit card online, print out your ticket, and present it at the ticket booth (east end of Ile de la Cite at Pont Neuf) when you want to take the tour.

The flexibility is important, since Paris weather can be unpredictable.

SSander
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Don't get sucked into buying any thing on the net. Costs as much as 30% more, and all is available VERYeasily.
The exception would be the boat tour, as noted above.
If you would really like to maximize a day, hire Michael Osman for a day tour. YOu will absolutely get your money's worth, get a better tour, and truly enjoy Michael on a personal level. It is a bargain also.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Be sure to get a Navigo Card (€5) for public transport. Then load it up with a Carte Orange for a week (which is Mo-Su) in zones 1-2.

It costs €16.80 and gets you unlimited rides on bus and metro. Zones 1 and 2 pretty much cover all the site in the city.

Search this forum for Carte Orange and you'll get a good idea on what to say in French to purchase the card and Carte Orange.

You'll need a 20mm x 30 mm photo of each of you for the Navigo Card, which is an electronic card that you "load up" with the Carte Orange and swipe at Metro entry points and on buses.

SSander
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Here's some more info on the Navigo Card from my trip report (May '09) The French translation included two tickets from CDG airport to Paris:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-19-may.cfm

<<<<<<<<<<<

At the ticket booth the following worked well:

Bon jour. S'il vous plait, Je voudrais deux passes Navigo Découverte avec les Cartes Orange Hebdomadaire zones 1 et 2 et deux billets pour Paris.

I strongly recommend the Carte Orange, even if you are only going to use it 5 or 6 days. The convenience and freedom to hop on and hop off buses is worth it. We actually each took nearly 40 rides during the 6 valid days at a cost of 16.80 EUR (+ 5 for the Navigo).

NOTE: If planning to buy the Navigo, bring a 20 x 30 mm photo.

>>>>>>>>>>>

SSander
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM

CORRECTION ---- CORECTION --- CORRECTION

The Vedettes de Pont Neuf boat cruise I mentioned above is at the WEST end of Ile de la Cite (which is where the Pont Neuf is).

See:

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/acces.htm

CORECTION --- CORECTION --- CORRECTION

SSander
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi captain,

in 5 days, it's unlikely that you'll want to do more than one, or possibly two day trips, if you've never been to Paris before - you'll be too busy seeing the city itself.

Versailles is the classic day trip, and that's a doddle to do by yourselves as others have said. otherwise, try to group the sites you are seeing by area, so that you don't exhaust yourselves cris-crossing the city. the thing to look out for is that you don't target a particular site on a day it's closed. but as you are arriving on a monday you are avoiding the worst day for museum closures so that shouldn't be too hard.

congrats and happy planning,

regards, ann