5 days between Siena & Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be at two seminars this Fall. One is October 16-21 just outside of Siena and the other is October 26-November 2 in and around Rome. Any suggestions for what we should do for the 5 days in between seminars? Go down either coast or in the middle countryside (Assisi, Perugia, etc.)? We haven't explored anything in the middle of the boot except Florence. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Late October would be an ideal time to visit Umbria. Lots of festivals going on then in various towns. Check out this website: www.hostetler.net/events.cfm for a list of them. Eurochocolate in Perugia is at that time as well as the white truffle festival in Gubbio. Late October wouldn't be the best time to visit the coast, but you'll have Assisi almost to yourself (many people will have already been there the first week of October for the Feast of St. Francis).
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Grinisa: Thanks for the tips! Looking into basing around Assisi or Perugia.

Which town would be best for setting up a 5 day base camp for exploring that region?
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I based myself in Perugia for 3 nights/4 days and enjoyed it. The main drag (Corso Vanucci) has nice cafes and upscale shops, and there is a lot of local color if you walk outside of the main part of town. I suggest going to the Tourist Info area and get the free self-guided walking tour map.

Perugia is a main city so there's a lot of transportation connections.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm leaning toward Perugia. Eurochocolate looks interesting.....has anyone here experienced it? Is it worth it. Hubby & I are certifiable chocoholics!