Drive from Siena to Orvieto

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending 3 nights in Siena, we will be moving to Locanda Rosanti in Orvieto for one night. We will visit Montalcino, Pienza, & Montepulciano during our base in Orvieto. Which route would you recommend driving to visit towns along the way to Orvieto ? I heard Cortona is beautiful, as are Assisi, Spello, Spoleto, Todi, .. This would be for May 31st.

We are shooting for arriving in Orvieto in late afternoon, to avoid the daytripper crowd. The morning of the following day is reserve to see more of Orvieto.

thanks in advance!
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I'm confused !!! You said that you would visit Montepulciano, Pienza, and Montalcino from Orvieto - where you will stay 1 night. You will get to Orvieto late in the day via Cortona, Assisi, etc. The next morning is reserved for Orvieto. Presumably, in the afternoon of that day you are off to somewhere else. Exactly when do you plan to fit in Montepulciano, Pienza, & Montalcino on this schedule???

These villages, along with a drive through the Val d'Orcia and Sant Antimo Abbey will fill up a full day - or at least it should, to really get the pleasure out of what I think is the prettiest countryside in Tuscany.

Perhaps instead of visiting them from Orvieto, you meant from Siena???

Stu Dudley
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Stu, sorry for the confusion. We will visit Montalcino, Pienza, & Montepulciano as part of a full day trip during our base in Siena.

Old May 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM

I hope you are not just visiting that area as a "part" of a day - it's a full day to visit Montalcino, Pienza, & Montepulciano and the surrounding areas.

To answer your re-stated question, I would suggest that you choose either Cortona or Assisi to visit. Both will take at least 1 1/2 hours, and perhaps two to three each. I think Assisi is much more interesting and historical. It's at least a 2-3 hour visit if you want to see the Church, town, and then wander above the town to the Rocca Maggiore for a very nice view. I've been to Cortona & Assisi several times, and I much prefer Assisi (try to get there as early as possible to avoid the day-trippers - much worse than Orvieto).

From Siena, take the N326 and then the very us-scenic N75 freeway past Perugia to Assisi.

After Assisi, get back on the N75 and drive past Spello. The scenery is very pretty from here on. As I recall, Spello looks kinda neat from the N75, and if you want to visit it once you've past it a little, take the south exit back to town for a drive through or a walk around.

Continue on the N75 to the N3 & past Trevi - again it looks cute from the N3, but perhaps not as interesting from the inside. Continue to Spoleto for a visit if you have the time.

Head west on the N418 and the N3 & smaller roads to Todi. Try to budget your time in prior villages so you have time to visit Todi on foot. After Assisi, it's my favorite on this route.

From Todi, take the scenic N448 to Orvieto.

You may be tempted to try to see both Cortona & Assisi. If you do both, it may be 3:00 when you are still in Assisi, and you are a ways away from Orvieto, unless you take the less scenic N3 past Deruta to Todi. Also, remember that many shops close for a 2-3 hour lunch. I've never been to Assisi during the lunch hours, and it might be touristy enough (like San Gimignano) to have many ultra-touristy shops stay open during the lunch period.

Stu Dudley
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Stu, we dedicated an entire day to driving between the towns of South Tuscany based on your trip report. So, thank you.

As far as why the next morning of June 1st is reserved for Orvieto, we have to drive down to Sorrento to drop off the rental car. Of course we can always depart earlier for Sorrento if we see most of Orvieto on the afternoon before.

This will be out first trip to Italy, departing for Venice on May 21st. Excitement just gets the best of me typing up these towns and itinerary. Apologies for any confusion =)