Search

Student Attire

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Student Attire

I will be living in Dresden Germany this summer and going to school. I would really like to get a complete immersion into the culture. I really don't want to stand out horribly (I know I will a little -or a lot...) Can anyone who lives there or has been there lately help me with what to bring as far as clothes are concerned. I like to wear dark colors (I've noticed most europeans wear these as well) and I also wear skirts or dresses a lot. What is in and what is out?? Thanks for your help - I know it's a tad frivolous but important to an girl!!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:19 AM

All the German students I have ever met dress like crap

I think you'll be very OK with black (or deep red/purple - the goth look is very in) as well as skirts, but unless you're thinking sundress, a dress would be too much. Keep it simple.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:38 AM
ira

Hi Dorn,

May I suggest that you pack one reasonably nice dress along with your underwear and another pair of slacks; wear your usual travelling clothes and buy what you need when you get there?

Anything you bring with you will mark you as a foreigner.

Have a wonderful Summer.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Hello Dornröschen,

as you may remember I live in Dresden. I did not notice so far that most europeans wear dark colors - at least not in Dresden.

Even in summer I love to see women wearing skirts and dresses in light colors (like most men do, I think ;-))

Don't worry, nothing special is "in or out".
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Ingo - does the dark clothes thing apply to students as well? It seems like at every university in Europe I have ever visisted, there's at least one group of noticable goths

Old May 27th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Seriously... pack light with your favorite normal summer clothes & take some extra cash to go shopping for a few new pieces once you're settled and see what's what.

My friends (Switzerland) are big on black, but in summertime also wear white, ivory, tan, beige.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Dont worry about what to wear in Germany especially if you are a young student..have you noticed how the Germans Youth dress in the movies? They wear Jeans, jeans, jeans and T-shirt...Just dress comfortable and the way you always dress back home.. and have a great time...