Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4D3N - enough time to go to all these places ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will spend 4D3N in Barcelona mid next week, afterwards, will have another 4D3N - I want to go to Seville, Toledo, Segovia & Madrid, pls suggest the best way to go (by air/ train from Barcelona) & will I have enough time to go to all these places?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM

goosi, you have started another thread which I understand because of the title of your first thread.

Now do not get frustrated (and no do not start a third thread) but dear please read what Rex told you in your first thread.

Your thread should have been title something like "Help with trip to Spain" or "Going to Barcelona and around Spain to Madrid. Info Needed".

Also, when I saw this new title I thought "where in the heck is 4D3N"?
After reading your post (and I only clicked it on out of curiosity by the way) I realized you were abbreviating for 4 days, 3 nights.

Now first of all your entire trip to Spain in NOT for 4 days and 3 nights.

Your visit for Barcelona is for 4 days and 3 nights.

So you could have titled your thread "Info Needed for 4days & 3 Nights in Barcelona". And then that is the info you would have received, info on Barcelona.

Also, I think you are trying to visit too many places if you only have 4 days and 3 nights left of your trip after your spend your time in Barcelona. You cannot enjoy and get anything out of your trip if you are going to jump from place to place without any time to enjoy where you are at in the moment.

So no, IMHO you will not have enough time to go to all these places.

Don't give up, you will get the hang of it, but do read the advice that people here give you, like Rex's post on your other thread. Please, go back and read that and go to the links he gave you and read that. Rex is an experienced traveler, and a good Fodors poster. You are fortunate to have his help.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:48 AM

I do not think this is enough time for all of the Madrid stuff.

We spent three full days in Barcelona, including a day trip to Montserrat and found this to be enough time.

We also spend three full days in Madrid, including a day trip to Segovia. Another day in Madrid would not have been the worst thing in the world either. So you could probably do Madrid 2 days, Segovia 1 and Toledo 1, but not Seville. Or spend 3 days in Madrid and 1 somewhere else. I just don't think it's possible to do all 4 of these cities justice in the time you have planned for them.

We flew from Madrid to Barcelona on Iberia for somewhere between 50-60 Euros I believe. Flight time 1 hour.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:00 AM
ira

Hi goosi,

>..will have another 4D3N - I want to go to Seville, Toledo, Segovia & Madrid, ...<

This might be possible. It is certainly not recommended. Your memories will be a blur if train stations and/or airports.

Train schedules are at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
airlines are at www.whichbudget.com.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:10 AM

With only 4 days after Barcelona, I also think you are trying to do too much (and I don't mind moving around a bit). As JoeTro suggested, you could base yourself in Madrid and do day trips to Segovia and Toledo, and that is full enough.

Barcelona is I believe about 4 hours by train from Madrid, so that will eat into one of those days. You could fly, which may take a little less time, but still, you have to assume about 1/2 day will be taken up by traveling.

As much as I loved Sevilla, I would skip it on this trip - it's too out of the way from the other cities/towns.

Karen
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:35 AM

I agree with Karen and would choose either Madrid and surroundings or Seville and a day trip to Ronda or Cordoba. Personally, I would choose Seville, one of my favorite cities in Europe, but you need to do a little research to decide which is best for your interests. We can only tell you what we would do, not what you should do.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM

I agree with JoeTro and Kaudrey.

I'd recommend basing yourself in Madrid for most of the time and doing one day, train trip to Toledo or Segovia - or maybe both at a push.

Trying to squeeze Seville in will be really tough.

K
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Goosi, I gave you some Spain tips on your "Tips" posting. So, you can back and read them. I won't repeat them here.

Seeing Karen's posting makes me think of her wonderful trip report to Spain. The link to her report is
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34478108

Karen was also in Spain in February last year. (We realized while posting on Fodor's that our paths crossed... so we managed to meet each other in Barcelona. Goosi, I hope you have the good fortune to discover how very, very cool it is to meet up with fellow Fodorites!) In any case, Karen's report will provide a different viewpoint from my report and toss in a few more ideas for you to ponder. If Karen is telling you to slow down, I would listen very carefully. Ray and I are ones to poke around and soak up the nuances of a place...Karen travels at a faster clip than we do. Everyone needs to find what works for them. Some people actually like to spend all their time on a train taking photos out the train's window and checking in and out of hotel rooms.

Oh, now I will be the little devil...you could always squeeze Sevilla in by taking the first AVE train from Madrid to Sevilla and then taking a late train back that same day. It eliminates hotel changes... saves time checking in and out of the hotel. The fine art museum in Sevilla is phenomenal as are the churches. I believe the AVE trip is only about 2 or 2 1/2 hours each way. Then you probably have a 15 or 20 minute taxi ride.

The first thing you need to do is set some priorities and quickly. (Is this trip for Feb 2005 as I gathered from your previous posting?)

- Sharon