4-digit PIN

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Bob

4-digit PIN

Several posts have mentioned that you need a 4-digit PIN in order to use an ATM card in Italy. <BR><BR>My ATM card's PIN is 6-digit. Does it mean that I will not be able to use the ATM card in Italy?<BR><BR>Did anyone have any problems with 6-digit PINs in Italy?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Bob

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:34 AM
wendy

If you are using a debit/credit card, then your 4 -digit pin number will work... just an ATM card issued by your local bank with no Visa/Mastercard symbol on the front will not work...<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Wendy

You need to contact your bank and let them know your plans. You will need a 4 digit (not 6 digit)PIN

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 02:48 PM
janis

I'm not sure wahe Wendy is talking about - you asked about a 6-digit PINs right? Anyway - you must hava a 4 digit PIN for ATM card, Debit card, Cash advances on a credit card, etc. 6-digits do not work anyplace in Europe that I am aware of. easily fixed - just ask the bank how to go about changing your PIN.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 03:14 PM
rb

Before we went to Italy last year we just went to the bank and changed our pins to 4 digits...an easy way is to knock the last two numbers off. Now we are all ready for our next trip.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Alice The Magyar

Make sure you have your money in a checking account, not savings!! You must have only 4 numbers in your pin.<BR>Have fun. Alice

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:52 AM
ann

I just tried to change my PIN to 4 digits and my bank has a 6 digit minimum but assured me that just putting in the first four digits works in European ATMs. I would still check with your bank but I checked with two different people at my bank and was told this is the case for most banks these days.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Bob

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.<BR><BR>I, actually, contacted my bank and was told to use LAST four digits of the PIN (drop first two).<BR><BR>However, based on your posts, some banks advise something else - to use FIRST four digits (drop last two). Go figure...<BR><BR>I hate to be in a position, when I arrive to Rome and cannot use my ATM card.