Notices

4 day trip to Western Ireland

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 day trip to Western Ireland

I am planning my itinerary for my trip to Irleand. We fly in and out of Shannon, arriving Nov. 11 leaving the 14th. I need some help on my itinerary. I have a basic outline for the first two days, but since I am unfamiliar, I would greatly appreciate some input. We in our mid 20's and are trying to stay off the beaten track, staying in small, quaint towns with an active pub scene while being able to sightseee during the day. We prefer B&Bs.

Itinerary:
Nov. 11 Land in Shannon. Drive to Galway. Tour Galway
and visit Aran Islands.
Lunch in Galway: O'Dowds Bar in Roundstone
B&B in Galway: St. Martin's Bed-and-Breakfast.

Nov. 12 Drive to the Cliffs of Mohr, then onto ????? I am
not sure where to stay or visit aside from cliffs.

Nov. 13 Drive to Cliffden.

Nov. 14 Drive to Dingle, then leave for home.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:35 AM

It may be just a typo but...

On the 13th you have "Drive to Clifden". Clifden that I'm thinking of is out the far side of Galway and you would be making huge loops back and forth from where you were to where you want to be the each day. I would stay somewhere in Clare for your Nov 12th night, maybe Ennis or further south like Kilrush or even in Tralee if you can get that far. Then it's not such a long drive to Dingle the next day.

Atually, if it were my trip, I'd reverse it. Drive first to Dingle via Limerick, making that a long drive on your very first day to get it done and out of the way. It will take about 3 hours sticking to the main roads. Next day head tour Dingle and head for Clar but going the back roads and using the Tarbert-Killimer ferry. Stay in Kilrush or Kilkee and drive the Loop Head. Next day head for the Cliffs of Moher and Galway. Visit Galway then head back down into Clare, stay nearer the airport in Ennis or even Shannon for your last night.

Nov 11th: Land Shannon, get car, drive through Limerick, Adare to tralee and down into Dingle. Overnight Dingle.

Nov 12th: Tour Dingle, drive to Clare via Tarbert-Killimer ferry. ON in Kilkee.

Nov 13th: Coastal drive to Cliffs of Moher and onto Galway. Visit Galway, ON Galway.

Nov 14th: Drive back towards Shannon, visit Burren, leave for home (I'm guessing you are leaving from Shannon..?)

Cheers,

Wendy
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I do not believe your plan is possible. You will be lucky to get to Galway by early afternoon. The traffic is horrendous and there are endless roundabouts, in any event Galway is not off the beaten path, it is a large cosmopolitan City. If your serious about quaint village push on to Roundstone. Several good Pubs and restraunts. I was there in July. It is right on the water so November could be cold. plan on four hours from Shannon to Roundstone. From Roundstone it is a short drive to Clifden but again this is a City not a village so you might want to rethink that. I do not think you have the time to visit the Aran Island with just four days. Now how about leave Shannon and drive to Killarney. It too is a City but lots of Publs and music. Nov 11 is a friday so there should be music on somwhere. Next day drive south and do the Ring of Beara and spend the night in Kenmare or Glengariff. Day three drive North to Dingle for the night and take a loop around the peninsula, maybe spend the night in Ventry rather thatn Dingle. From Dingle plan on three hours to Shannon for your flight. With only three nights you can't get too far from Shannon and down to southern Cork or up in Mayo but have fun and don't even think about driving from Dingle to Clifden on your short schedule. Have fun.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Roundstone, one of my favorite places in Connamara, is practically a ghost town in the off season. We were there in April (2003) one year and there wasn't a whole lot going on. Event he town hotel had shut up tight until May. You may get that small town feel there but it's probably not the exact experience you are looking for.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 03:35 AM

Clifden is not a big town--not a village like Roundstone either. But it certainly is not closed up in November. I was there last November. You might want to stay in Clifden (lots of places open) and drive the area--Kylemore Abbey, Renvyle Peninsula, Roundstone. Roundstone is nice, but in the offseason there is nothing at all to do there--a few shops open is all. We had lunch and went on our way. But there are stores and pubs in Clifden. And to just drive the area--like Renvyle--it doesn't make any dif what time of year, except for foliage. Anyway, just a thought. Shannon to Clifden is about 4.5 to 4 hours. Have fun!