Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 adults + 1 todder + 1 week = France or Italy?

May 6th, 2009, 03:15 AM
lsm
Original Poster

Hello! I'm hoping to get some advice and recommendations on a trip this June/July (end of June or beginning of July)... My husband and I live in the Netherlands and would like to take a week-long trip with our son (1 year old) and my in-laws, either to Italy or France. However, I'm not sure where to begin! We'd like to find somewhere relaxing, with good food, hopefully not too too hot, and where it's easy enough to go around with our son. Museums and/or historic sites would be a bonus. We would be looking to rent an apartment as well. I was thinking of somewhere in the south of France, but then I heard that Italy was a good place for kids. We've been to some of the major cities in France and Italy, so we wouldn't mind seeing other places. So far the only ideas I've had were the Lake Como region, Tuscany, or somewhere around Avignon in France.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if I should provide more information.

Thanks in advance!
May 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Is there any European country that isn't a "good place for kids"?
May 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
lsm
Original Poster

Well, Amsterdam is very kid-friendly in some ways, but not in everything - changing rooms and high-chairs can be hard to find for example. And some of the old style trams can't accommodate strollers. I guess I'm looking for a place where it's easy to walk around, children are welcomed in restaurants and where there are nice parks and playgrounds for kids. Thanks!
May 6th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Hi lsm. I live in Italy with my two young kids - so I am a bit biased about travelling in Italy with kids (my kids are so spoiled with all the attention they are used to getting here), but I love travelling in France as a family, too. I have been on a holiday to Provence with a one-year old and three-year old. We used Gordes, not too far from Avignon, as a base. There is so much to see in the region to easily fill your week (relaxing, great food, fantastic hill towns, architecture, etc.) A trip in Italy my kids loved at the same age was the Salento peninsula (heel of the boot) in Italy. End of June/beginning of July is ideal there, because there aren't yet too many tourists. Great food, relaxing, gorgeous baroque towns, combined with beautiful beaches. Otranto and Gallipoli are nice bases. It is a wonderful region and you can see a lot in a week. Good luck - I am sure you can't go wrong in either country.
May 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Let the pictures do the talking:
http://www.tuscany-villas.co.uk/phot...any-italy.html
May 15th, 2009, 06:56 AM
lsm
Original Poster

Hi Romana2 - Thanks for your reply! The Salento peninsula sounds great, I'll have to look into it.