4-5 days in Paris: honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone...I am currently planning a honeymoon to Europe. We are 24 & 26 yr. olds from New York who have never been to France or Italy. We will be landing in Paris early (7AM) on August 14 and flying out of Rome on August 28 with a 3 day stop in Dublin before heading back to New York on the 31.

Suggestions on how long is needed in Paris? We could extend or shorten our stay as we have not booked travel between France-Italy yet.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of where to stay while in Paris. (left/right bank) And specific hotels (preferably in the up to 150 dollar range)

Is it doable from Paris to do a day trip to Mont St-Michel and Normandy beached in a day? Or would you suggest doing 3 nights in Paris and 2 nights Loire River Valley and Normandy/Mont St Michel area?

Best way to get from Paris area to Italy - would you fly or take the train?

Sorry for asking a thousand questions at once. I appreciate everyones help. I had been posting ideas for the honeymoon before narrowing it down at this link if you cared to see:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...amp;dirtyBit=1

THANKS
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to add that we are relatively easy going. We have a list of things we want to do and see in Paris...and are looking forward to wandering around and exploring as we like to in all cities old and new to us!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM

A day trip to Normandy is possible. We went in January so we had even less daylight available than you will have in August. We also rented a van as there were 8 of us and the cost of the day trip tours--something like 160 euros per person--was more than we wanted to pay. If that price sounds good to you, I'd recommend taking the tour over renting and driving, which, for two people, is probably cheaper.

The link below is to one of the tour operators recommended to us by friends.

Enjoy,
Danielle

http://www.paris-trip.com/tours.asp?id=7
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is it possible to do Normandy/Mon St Michel tours yourself? We are kind of do it yourself people, not wanting to be bound to a set tour and sched. We were thinking of renting a car or taking the train out.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM

ttt for Beph....

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NE...

I have been looking at railsaver for tickets...seems to be a good site.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:36 AM

beph,
I just searched "normandy bus tours" (without quotation marks)on this site and came up with 100 threads. While I only looked at a couple, there seemed to be lots and lots of good information about booking tours, which, from what I understand is the best way to see the beaches, memorials etc.From what I understand, people, young and old, have had great experiences with very knowledgeable guides.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM

If I were you I would rent a car on leaving Paris and do a road trip to Rome. This lets you spend as much time as you want in the Loire, see Mt St Michel (difficult and time-consuming via public transt) and Normandy and then head across to Rome.

You could stop on/near the riviera and then head south - or you could drive straight across and stop in Lyon/Geneva - there are a host of options.
'
Just be sure you allow yourself at least 3 full days each in Paris and Rome - then get you little map and string (or mappy.com if you prefer) and plot a course to Rome.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks LucyD and NYTraveler. We had thought about renting a car and driving down to Italy. But in another posting was advised against it being told it was difficult/expensive to rent a car in one country and drop it off in another. So we then switched to looking at the railroads. In doing that on railsaver.com I pluged in a temp. trip plan which is:

Paris 8/13 - 8/17 (4 nights)
Normandy/Mont St Michel 8/17-8/18 (1 night)
Train to Lake Como 8/18-8/20 (2 nights)
Train to Venice 8/20-8/22 (2 nights)
Train to Florence 8/22-8/24 (2 nights)
Train to Pisa 8/24-8/25 (1 night)
Train to Rome 8/25 - 8/28 (3 nights)
Fly to Dublin 8/28 (3 nights)
Fly to NY 8/31

Does this seem good? I could live without Pisa ( ) if needed, or we could drop a day in Paris.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention prices: the website railsaver.com quoted prices @ $205 for myself (24 yrs.) and $278 for Tim (26 yrs). I guess I am still considered a youth which gave created a great laughter from the DH.
This would be for Eurail France - Italy 4 Day 2nd Class Youth/Adult FlexiPass.

Do you think it would be cheaper -or- just more enjoyable to drive?

Is driving across borders difficult? We are def. newcomers to traveling in Europe. We have been to Ireland with his family and Costa Rica (GREAT!) on our own. But we have never switched countries via driving other than Canada.

THANKS
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM

beph,
I would srongly advise skipping Pisa and adding an extra day or two in another city/cities. Of course, there are a few interesting sites there, but IMO, it was not that great, and I would have rather spent more time elsewhere. Others may disagree; just adding my two cents. I realize people are different and otherwise I probably wouldn't advise someone against going somewhere, but since you are in the planning stages and asked, and even expressed some reservations about Pisa, I felt compelled to post. It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time whatever you decide!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lucy d... I am sure we will have a great time. We have been dating since we were 14 and 16 and are now 24 and 26. We actually got married on our 10th anniversary (May 20). We had to wait for our honeymoon because I am a teacher. But we have fun no matter where we are!

I could live without Pisa, although it would be interesting to see. But as you are saying there is not much to do in the area...

Any suggestions on where you would add the day? France, Rome, Florence, Lake Como. We were thinking of going to Cinque Terre, as we have heard it is amazing...but I was not sure if that was too out of the way - or worth it for just one night.

Do you think 2 days in Venice is good...a friend has suggested 1 night, but I wasn't sure.

THANKS

I can't wait to do a trip report and thank everyone for their help - we would be lost otherwise
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

possible extra night in florence with a day trip to pisa.....

still deciding between train, driving or rail n' drive. suggestions

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I read part of your other post - somehow I missed it when it was first started. Here are some somewhat random thoughts:

Your possible train schedule seems like a lot of train time. But that's partly because I'm more of a car person, though I (we) travel by train when it makes more sense.

I do agree that taking a rental car from one country to another can be VERY expensive. About 7 years ago, we did a trip that started in Italy and ended in France, and after trying every variation of trains we could think of and only coming up with rather horrid schedules, we ended up renting a car and yes, it was VERY expensive. We definitely traded money for time. It may not be so expensive France-Italy; call some car rental companies and see (we always use AutoEurope).

Anyway, try to rent a car for some of the time. Driving through the countryside in Provence or Tuscany is beautiful and fun, too. BUT, try to NOT have a rental car in a big city (i.e., Venice, Florence, Rome). This may require manipulating your agenda a bit (i.e., let's say you fly from Paris to Milan, take the train to Florence, enjoy Florence, then train to Venice. Pick up rental car there, drive around in Tuscany, then drop car off as you enter Rome.) Just an idea.

August 15 is a holiday in France (and Italy); the Assumption, or something like that. We were there, long ago, for it, and saw people dragging a life lamb through the Latin Quarter. It probably became dinner.

I would say to try to plan at least 4 nights in Paris - the purists will say one week (or one month) is not enough, but I know there's a lot that you want to see and do.

Left bank, definitely. I love the 6th Arrondisement. Very lively at night, probably best for your age, lots of little restaurants and shops, close to many sights and sites. We like Hotel le Regent, which has smaller doubles (which we always get, choosing to spend our money elsewhere) for probably close to your price range. You'll probably have a hard time finding a room, though, so start looking, and use older threads here for other ideas for hotels.

Try to spend the night at Mont St Michel, if you want to visit there. Evening is when the huge crowds leave, and the place is relatively peaceful and oh so gorgeous. Don't try to combine Mont St. Michel and the Loire Valley; they're in opposite directions.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
AS Normandy and Mont st. Michel are ikn the opposite direction to Italy, if you are spending a week in Paris, I'd go there as a day trip from Paris, thus maximising you time in Italy. You could hire a car and drive down into Italy, or train to siena [highly recommended on another thread, and we loved it when we were your age] and possibly retun it there or in asissi, or orvieto, or on lake garda [my favourate suggestion] , then train to Rome.
Don't dismiss a one-way hire - it may add to the costs [it added about £150 to the cost of our trip from Switzerland to Holland] but it's not that much, compared to the convenience and sheer fun of being able to explore yourselves.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM

beph,
It is definitely possible to arrange your own outing. We rented a car right in Paris and picked it up at 7 a.m. when the rental car agency opened. This let us get out of Paris before the traffic was too heavy and got us to Normandy around 11 a.m. We really enjoyed having the freedom to see things at our own pace. My husband was the driver--he travels a lot for work and is used to driving unfamiliar cars in unfamiliar places, so if this sounds like either of you, go for it! (He got directions from Mapquest and found them fairly accurate.) We had to be on the road by 3 p.m. to get the car back by 7, but if you plan to keep the car longer, this won't be an issue for you.

BTW, other than the cost of the van and gas, there was no charge for any of the sightseeing that we did. We went to the American cemetary Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, Battery of Longues, and St. Mere Eglise.

Best wishes!
Danielle
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone....we definitly have a lot more work to do tomorrow
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

well...i guess today technically ;-)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

the more we look into it we are thinking of getting a car to head out to normandy beaches/mont st michel area.
We are debating on spending the night or not.

I have heard that Mont St Michel is wonderful at night, and after reading your posts Lex. it seems that we heard correctly. We had been planning on doind the Normandy beaches first and then heading over to MSM - thinking it would be better to spend the night as opposed to rushing back and being tired.
Thoughts?

and again thanks to everyone ;-)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

anyone know a cute B&B or hotel out in the Normandy area? I have been looking over old posts...is it good to take suggestions from those as opposed to going over the entire thing again in a new post? (some were over a yr old)

<3 thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -