Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 1/2 free days + a nice car...where should I go?

Apr 20th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Toby

I have Monday morning to Friday mid day and my friend's Beamer to do & see whatever I want in the UK in June. I am starting from London and have already seen London, The New Forest Region, the Midlands and Cambridge. I am now curious to where else I should go and why. I am thinking about touring Northern Wales and maybe going up to Lincoln and York. I am also thinking about driving all the way up to Scotland on Monday but that seems way too far...
I am definitely used to European driving and just want to get a plan for my 4 1/2 day UK adventure. Any suggestions, what would you do, what do you think are the most impressive sights i shouldn't miss? Thanks in advance...

Apr 20th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Patrick

So many places, so little time! York and Lincoln would be fun -- you might head up the M1 to York first for a couple of days, and then possibly also out to the coast at Robin Hood's Bay. You could return to London via Lincoln and also Stamford.
In June, I think I might opt for the other direction and go to Cornwall and/or Devon.
You're right Scotland just seems too far for such a short time.

Apr 20th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Uncle Sam

Toby,

Consider this:

One day in York

York is an absolutely fascinating medieval city. Do not miss the cathedral and its impressive stained glass. The Jarvick Museum was a disappointment, but there is a very unique museum there, and I cannot recall the name, but it deals with the evolution of basic gadgets like the sweeper, the washing machine, etc and you can walk much of the old town walls as well.

Drive to Edinburgh

The drive from York to Edinburgh as I recall is about five to six hours. (It has been about four years since we did the drive). The scenery is nice, you can stop at Hadrian's wall enroute.

You will pass through the borders area of Scotland which was the scene of numerous English forays into Scotland. In addition, you will see Jedborough Abbey. There are four abbeys you can visit, with Jedborough along the way to Edinburgh.

Two days in Edingurgh

The Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle (my favorite), Holyrood House, Deacon Brodies and more. There is enough for two days

One to two days

Meandering back from Edinburgh with a stop in Chester and a side trip to Northern Wales.

Just a thought.

Best wishes,

US

Apr 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
mpprh

hi

why not just take it easy ?
drive through the cotswolds, stay near bristol.

then visit devon & cornwall.

peter

Apr 21st, 2002, 11:11 AM
Barry

Hi Toby -

Personally I'd head out to the southwest... hit Salisbury, Stonehenge, Bath and on over to the southwest coast...

Barry

Apr 21st, 2002, 02:16 PM
Maggie

Hi Toby,
I agree with the last poster, head west young man!
Visit Malmesbury, Tetbury, Bath, Wells, Avebury, Stonehenge and Salisbury and enjoy the slow way of life in this part of UK

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
ttt

topping

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
janis

Since you have been to the New Forest you may have already seen Salisbury/Stonehenge/Bath since they are so close.

But if not - my choices in order would be:

1) Maggie and Barry's suggestions with the addition of the Dorset coast and Somerset.

2) Kent/East Sussex - especially if you like Castles and gardens.

3) York, the Peak District including Chatsworth and a quick foray into N Wales.

4) Norfolk/Suffolk - really fascinating castles, windmills etc.

Scotland is my very fav place on earth - but it is about 8 hours each way to Edinburgh so that basically would take up 2 days of your limited time so skip it this time.