Reload this Page >

can't decide weekend trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:30 AM
sue

Ok, I've booked a flat in Notting Hill for eight days in July and I plan to book Le Meridian Russell or Harlingford for the last three days of our 2-week trip(opinions on either would be appreciated.)But I can't decide where our family of four should go for three days in the middle. I've narrowed it to Edinborough or York. We want to SEE beautiful scenery, but we aren't much for hiking or driving too far. Edinborough seems to have nicer accomodations, but a longer train ride. What will make our kids say, wow this is really amazing and different (from London and New England)? Thanks!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Bob

Scotland is great and Edinburgh is a fun city. But it is another large city.<BR>York also nice.<BR><BR>Why not head out to the Cotswolds for a few days and visit the quaint small towns out there? It would be a contrast to the crowds in London.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:52 AM
elaine

I haven't been to Edinburgh yet, but I have been to York. I love York, but I have to say that the idea of seeing castles and &quot;haunted&quot; areas in Edinburgh sounds great for kids.<BR><BR>here are some websites for you<BR>http://theoracle.co.uk/attractions_list_name.cfm<BR><BR>http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Scotland/edinburgh.htm<BR><BR>http://www.ebs.hw.ac.uk/MaryKing/haunted.htm

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:53 AM
sue

I thought the Cotswolds had been ruined by tourists?

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 10:00 AM
janis

Anyplace in the UK would be great for a three day break from London.<BR><BR>While Bob's suggestion of the Cotswolds is a good one, they are so close to London you could do a reasonable day trip. BTW - I love the Cotswolds and try to spend a week there every 2 or 3 years.<BR><BR>But for your family, and a WOW factor you cannot beat Edinburgh. It is only a 4+ hour train ride from Kings Cross and the city is amazing. The castle, the old town/royal mile, new town, the botanic gardens, etc. And you would be a short train ride from either Linlithgow or Stirling which the kids would really ebjoy.<BR><BR>York is great too - the Minster, old city walls two FANTASTIC museums, Jorvik Viking center that kids really enjoy. Plus you could do a side trip out to Malton for Castle Howard where they filmed Bridehead Revisited.<BR><BR>You cannot go wrong with either city - surrounding scenery is more dramatic in Scotland but you'd really have to rent a car to get to the best places. You would not need (nor want) a car in either York or Edinburgh - little parking and lots of road congestion in both, but they are very walkable places and both tourist information centers offer lots of 1/2 and full day tours to the surrounding areas.<BR><BR>So - flip a coin - you can't go wrong. it is only too bad you don't have 4 or 5 days - then you could easily vsit both. And with three days you still could - 2 days in Edinburgh and one in York on your way back to London. Buth that would preclude doing any out of town excursions. But something to consider. York itself is very small and a full day will give you time to see most of it.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
janis

no - the Cotswolds have definitely not been spoiled by tourists. A couple of town/villages get overrun - mainly Bourton-on-the-Water, Bibury and Broadway. The way to get around that is to visit them early or late when the day tour buses aren't there. Until about 11 AM and after 5 PM alll three are back to normal and look pretty much like any Cotswold village. But MANY other Cotswold villages are unspoiled and quiet.<BR><BR>But my recommendations for Edinburh or York (or better yet, both) still stands.