3 weeks in Greece

Search

3 weeks in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in Greece

Planning our honeymoon has been ne most difficult thing of wedding planning so far...
We decided to change (again) our plans and instead of splitting our honeymoon in 2 parts (we initially wanted to do weeks in central Europe and then 1 week under the sun in Greece) we decided to put all of our time in Greece. Since we have 3 whole weeks, why not try to see ONE country in more depth? Greece seemed an obvious pick.

So, enough rambling, I need your precious help for a now 3 weeks itinerary in Greece.
We want: a good balance of sightseeing, magnificent landscapes and beaches. We want to do a little of everything: visiting, seing ruins, eating local food, hiking, swimming, snorkelling. We want to avoid resorts, group tours and do things by ourselves.

We want to include in this itinerary: Athens (only 2 days), Meteora, Delphi, 2 or 3 Cyclades islands.
This is what we came up with, considering the answers I got on other posts:

Arrival in Athens, then ferry to the Cyclades
Naxos/Paros for 4 nights
Santorini 3 nights
Crète 5 nights (Western part only, Elafonissi Beach, Samaria Gorge, Hania)
Domestic flight to Thessaloniki, 1 night
Kalambaka (or Kastraki) 2 nights (Meteora)
Delphi 1 night
Athens 2 nights

Now questions:
- Is this a good itinerary? What would you change?
- Should we do it the other way around (Athens - Meteora - Islands)? We are arriving May 25th and departing on June 14th, should we do continental Greece first and then the Islands when it gets hotter?
- Are our island choices good ones? Should we substitute Crete for ionian islands? The beaches there seem to be so wonderful!
- What is the best way to connect Thessaloniki and Athens (with stops at Delphi and Meteora)? I read it takes 3-4 busses between Delphi and Meteora... what about renting a car?
- Finally, they're are 18 nights on this itinerary and we have 3 more to distribute. Where?

Thank you all for your advices!
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:52 AM

I think you have made a good choice to narrow down your focus and concentrate on one place and see it well.

I might be tempted to tweak your plan a little and leave the islands to the end of your trip. While late May is generally good time for the islands June is better and gives the water a little more time to warm up.

Is there a reason for visiting Thessaloniki or was that day just to get to Meteora and Delphi without having to drive from Athens.
Since you have an additional 3 days to play with here is what I would do. Depending on when you reach Athens any time before mid afternoon will do, you could rent a car and drive to Nafplio. It is no more than two hours and good roads all the way from the airport.
Nafplio is a beautiful sea side town with two Venetian fortresses and an old town with Neoclassical buildings. It is a perfect place to get over jet lag. Plan to spend at least two days perhaps three here. Nafplio is perfect for a day trip to see Epidavros and Mycenae two of the most import and archaeological sites in Greece.
Nafplio and Peloponnese http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094108982/

Then drive north and perhaps visit Ancient Corinth and Ancient Nemia on your way to Delphi. Arrive in Delphi in the late afternoon and take a hotel in the village. The archaeological site opens around 8 as I recall and that means you will have it virtually alone for the first two hours before the tour bus crowds arrive. It is one of the most impressive site we have seen. Since the site goes up the side of the mountain you will be at the top when the buses arrive so that will give you an additional hours or so of relative peace.

Then visit the museum and hop into your can and drive to Meterora. It is about a 4 to 5 hour drive so you should arrive in early evening. The crowds will be gone and you will have an opportunity to drive up to the monasteries and get photos without the tour buses in the way. Also note the monasteries that are open next day so that you can get to at least one of them before the tour buses arrive.
We chose to stay in Meteora that night because it was a long day and headed back to Athens early.
Olympia Delfi Meteora https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645469717811/

Since you rented the car from the airport you can hop a commuter flight to your first island. You can get pretty decent fares to Santorini or Chania. Sign up for Aegean's web site for seat sales.
This will save you hours of travel time.

Personally I would be tempted to fly into Chania which is your furthest destination. While 5 nights for Crete is not nearly enough time to do it justice you have the right idea for concentrating on the west and so you can have a good short visit there.
Chania http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632117917828/

After Chania do head south to the Libyan sea that coastline is full of wonderful little villages and beautiful beaches.
Crete Libyan Sea https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645487373222/

You will have to get to Heraklion for the ferry to Santorini so on the way you might stop in Rethymnon to visit the Fortezza.
It is about 2.5 hour ferry ride to Santorini. This island is spectacular and is perfect for a honeymoon. You will have memories for life. be sure to get a hotel with a Caldera view. Sea view is not necessarily Caldera view. it is worth paying more to get that view. Santorini is expensive compared to Crete or Naxos so three nights is a good time frame for that visit.
Santorini http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632154800782/

Then head off by ferry to see Naxos. It is a good companion island to Santorini as it has the same white and blue buildings, ocean views a beautiful main town small mountain villages and great beaches. The bonus is it will give you a more authentic Greek experience and will cost half of what Santorini will cost for dining and accommodation.
5 nights in Naxos will give you a good opportunity to get to know the island. You might want to rent a car for a day although there is a good bus tour that will take you everywhere.
A week in Naxos https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645113682278/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/

Hope that gives you some things to think about.
Have fun planning.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:54 AM

It's a good idea to stick to one country. You haven't mentioned when you plan to go, but depending on ferry schedules and the ferry company you choose to book with it's possible that you'll have to spend one of your free nights in Athens before you make your way to Naxos or Paros. I'm not finding any schedules yet beyond June 23. Until then most ferries will be departing Athens/Piraeus in the morning, although I am seeing one 5:30 departure but it's not a daily ferry. Actual travel time between the islands you've chosen is not long, but lots of time is wasted checking out of your hotel, making your way to the ferry port, waiting for the ferry, moving to the next island, finding your next hotel, checking in and unpacking. And in the case of Crete, the ferry arrives in Heraklion at 7:15 in the evening, and then it's a 2.5 hour drive to Chania. You might want consider adding any extra days amongst the islands you've chosen to compensate for this.

As ferry schedules are added for the upcoming season you will be able to see them here: http://www.gtp.gr
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM

stanbr has provided a perfect itinerary! ... I have done much the same myself, solo, and also with newcomers like yourself, and they loved every stop along the way.

It's perfect to start with Nafplio area, easy to drive to (best multilane highway in Greece, nonstop all way from airport) -- you can relax, wander flower-garlanded lanes, and enjoy sunsets that will give you something to compare with the widely-promoted Santorini versions.

Next, your driving introduction will help you easily handle the trip to Delphi & Meteora. Then, going back to airport enables you to avoid ANY city driving and use flight not ferry to head off for your farthest island .... where the water will have warmed up more, ready for great swims. DO sign up for flight sales -- it can be less than ferry tix, and SO much faster.

You can use a large lovely Blue Star Ferry when you return to Athens at the last (schedules are already out for Blue Star sailings which are the same year after year). By then you'll be energized "old hands" at Greek ways, and ready to get the most out of famous landmarks and a vibrant city.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 08:29 AM

BTW, with Stanbr's schedule u will have a beautiful full moon first week of June, when u would be in Western crete, for magical evenings.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 08:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Follow stanbr's itinerary and enjoy a wonderful trip to Greece!
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 08:52 AM

Between Thessaloniki and Kalambaka,there is a King Phillip's tomb with a nice museum under a mound at Vergina. It is a short detour from A2.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the answers!

I am looking more closely to your itinerary Stanbr and it really seems perfect! I will look more precisely into the ferries time tables.

We are arriving in Athens May 25th at 7:30 in the morning and departing from Athens June 15th.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 10:48 AM

Hey bossablue. We will just miss you. We are flying in to Athens June 15 for our return flight June 16.

7:30 is a great time to arrive Athens. You can load up on coffee and go on adrenaline and rent the car at the airport. Its about a 5 hour drive to Meteora so you may need to stop at rest stops and get more coffee.
Or of course you can always consider Nafplio which is just 2 hours away. You will probably have enough energy to stop at Ancient Corinth or Ancient Nemia on the way. Those are good sites but they only take an hour each so you can probably manage one brief stop before jet lag catches up with you.
There doesn't seem to be any reason to go to Thessalonika to get to Meteora. The drive from Athens for quite a while is on a major 4 lane divided highway so it is a fairly easy drive for the first couple of hours. It is however a toll road so it will probably cost you around 20 euros or so all in.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

So you suggest driving back into Athens instead of heading to Thessaloniki and taking a flight (1h20) from Thessaloniki to Chania (43$ with Ryanair!)?

This is what I've got with Stanbr's suggestions:

Arrive in Athens May 25th at 7h30 AM. Rent a car and head to Nafplio.
May 25-26-27: Nafplio. Day trips to Epidavros and/or Mycenae,
May 28th: take the car and head to Delphi with potential stops in Corinth/Nemea. Sleep in Delphi.
May 29th: early visit to Delphi then take the car to Meteora. Sleep in Meteora area (Kalambaka?)
May 30th: Visit Meteora, sleep Kalambaka.
May 31st: Take the car to head back to Athens airport, drop the car and take a (very late at 10h20pm) flight to Chania OR drive to Thessaloniki, drop off the car there (it must be possible with some rental car companies) and take an evening flight (7h10pm) to Chania. Sleep in Chania.
June 1-2-3-4 in Crète (possibly rent a car to go to Elafonissi beach, Samaria Gorge, Libyan coast)
June 6th: Ferry from Iraklio to Santorini.
June 7-8: Santorini
June 9th: Ferry to Naxos.
June 9-10-11-12: Naxos
June 13: Ferry to Athens
June 13-14: Athens
June 15th: Fly out of Athens
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:28 PM

If you travel by car, you can go from Grevena or Malakasi (both close to Kalambaka) up to Thessaloniki airport without leaving the motorway.
A car may be useful if you want to move between Kissamos, Elafonissi and Paleochora. But it will be of no advantage for the Samaria gorge hike because it's not possible to get from Agia Roumeli (end of the trail) to Omalos (start of the trail) by public transport.

Timetable of the ferries to Naxos on June 9th:
FB Bluestar Delos: Piraeus dp 7.25 - Naxos ar 12.30
FB Bluestar Naxos: Piraeus dp 17.30 - Naxos ar 23.35
CC Champion Jet 1: Piraeus dp 7.00 - Naxos ar 10.15
CC Superjet: Rafina (close to Athens airport) dp 15.45 - Naxos ar 19.45
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

neckervd: on june 9th we are going from Santorini to Naxos, not Athens to Naxos! Thanks though
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 01:19 PM

Hi bossa I didn't realize you were planning to fly from Thessaloniki to Chania. Given the price and the fact it is a shorter drive than back to Athens by all means that sounds like a good plan. Just have to find a rental agency that will let you drop off the car.
neckervd is correct you cant do Samaria gorge by car. You will need to book an excursion or just take the local bus to the top of the gorge, walk down and meet the ferry at Agia Romouli to Choira Sfakion and then the bus back to Chania. Car simply doesn't work.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

For Samaria Gorge we thought about going to Hora Sfakion, take the boat to Agia Romeli and walk the opposite way into the gorge. The easy way ... I wonder if we should rent another car in Chania, drive around to go to the places we want to see (beaches, Elafonisi, Rethymnon...) then drop it in Iraklio before taking the ferry to Santorini. Again, we would need to pick up a car at one place and drop it another place. I have to take a more careful look into car rental services in Greece. The other option would be to simply take the bus everywhere.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 04:58 PM

Several of the local car rental agencies wil allow you to pick up in Chania and drop off in Heraklion. Last summer we simply parked the rental at the ferry port and they picked it up sometime later on. I think you need a minimum of a three day rental.
Look at Athens Cars Crete. We have used them three times and have found them to have very good prices with all insurance included.

You can see some of the images of Samaria gorge walk in my Crete Lybian sea album above.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 06:25 PM

Most rental agencies just plain won't do a drop-off that fare away. The few that will, charge a HUGE drop-off fee if you hire in Athens & drop in THessaloniki .... At least this was the case a couple of years ago when I tried to arrange it for a friend ... It may be less hassle to return to ATH airport, drop car, fly to Chania.
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 02:49 AM

Timetable of the ferries to Naxos on June 9th:
FB Bluestar Delos: Santorini dp 15.30 - Naxos ar 17.30
Much more expensive high speed catamarans:
Superjet: Santorini dp 9.00 - Naxos ar 10.35
Terajet: Santorini dp 11.00 - Naxos ar 12.40
Seajet2: Santorini dp 11.50 - Naxos ar 13.30
Champion Jet 1: Santorini dp 15.30 - Naxos ar 16.45
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 06:26 AM

Ferry from Piraeus to Chania is about ?? 9 hours, either all day or overnight ... could cost 70-90E?? Flight from ATH to CH takes 50 minutes -- and if you sign up for Aegean newsletter "alert" and check its site daily, you may pick up a fllight for 40E-50E or so, I think.

Neckervd must have missed your message about going to Chania, because still helpfully offering info about sailings to Naxos. Very helpful info for anyone goiing to Naxos, however!
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I will sign up for Aegean newsletter for sure. We will certainly fly into Chania (or Heraklion).

Anyone has a recommendation for a car rental agency in either Athens and on Crète?
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 08:25 AM

THE BASICS--
• for all rentals, do have International Driving Permit (get it at your local AAA, takes only 20 mins).
•Also, do a "walk-around" of car before driving off, note any "dings" & photo them if desired, & have them noted on contract. Just a savvy move... we've never had a problem with places where we rented ... but being prudent eliminates worry.
•Also, about insurance -- you may be tempted to save 3-4E by not paying for full CDW if your credit card has some kind of coverage. However, think about it; your CC agency is 7-9 hours away, and if you have a fender-bender at 6 pm, it's the wee hours in N. America, a hassle to communicate. Pay for full coverage, rest easy.
• Majority of fleet models are stick-shift & a big savings; however, they do have automatics, but fewer. If you need automatic, don't wait until last minute to book.

CRETE -- Almost all agencies allow delivery of car in one major town (i.e., Chania or Rethymnon) and drop off in another (i.e. Heraklion, for outbound ferry or flight) without added fee. We have used Autoway 4x with good satisfaction; large choice of new cars, their price better than the "biggies" like Avis, etc. Others have had good experiences with Anna's Cars, which may have "newish" cars but in good condition, and sometimes better rates. In any case, use a Crete-based agency like these 2 ... more responsive than Avis/Hertz etc if there is any "glitch."
ATHENS -- I got a tip years ago about a "best buy/good service" agency for picking up car at ATH airport ... it's BUDGET-ATHENS (the hyphen is important; this is Greek-owned with its own fleet... different from plain BUDGET, which may "farm out" its bookings). The link is http://www.budget-athens.gr/?gclid=C...Fdx05QodUkGLfw ... and you can do a "dummy booking" and see availability of many models & the cost ... then e-mail them. I have done comparison-shopping, and always satisfied with price. You can go to Budget desk in airport building, and walk outside 100 yards to pick up car. Have used 3 x. One year, we had to change our model TWICE because of change in # of our party, and they did it cheerfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -