3 possible locations in Brittany for a 4 day stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at spending about 4-5 days in late June in Brittany near(ish) Vannes. We aren’t feeling super particular about exactly where as we are travelling with kids (6,11) and the idea is to get settled into the rhythm of local life (and allowing my older child to practice his French) rather than racing around by car seeing the sites. We do want decent access to beaches and walking to a boulangerie would be a big plus but not necessary.

We have found a lovely property near Saint Cadot (not actually on the island but just across the bridge), which would provide that small village setting though it’s admittedly further north than we were looking at first, and somehow I’m disappointed it’s not right near the ocean though that’s probably irrational.

Similarly we have found really love traditional French family houses with large gardens near Carnac (more specifically near Saint Colomban), Larmor/St Philibert, AND on the Ile des Moines. I am really intrigued by the Ile Des Moines particularly. Thinking that might just be the perfect escape but I’m not sure.

We will be 2 families with 4 kids 6-12 and a mother in law in 70s with fairly good mobility.

I’d welcome your thoughts on pros/cons of any of these places if you’ve visited!

Last edited by travelrequired; Dec 7th, 2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 06:53 AM

Enlarging your search: what about the Íle de Ré? The island has bike paths well separated from the roads.

https://flic.kr/p/7mHttx
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Although I am not a fan of Brittany, I have a growing desire to go to Quiberon.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want time for your kids to chat in French I suggest either go camping on a French camp site where families can hang out or book him onto a dinghy sailing course so he has to chat or drown ;-) just buying the family bread will not cut it
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
If you want time for your kids to chat in French I suggest either go camping on a French camp site where families can hang out or book him onto a dinghy sailing course so he has to chat or drown ;-) just buying the family bread will not cut it
Excellent advice, though they may end up befriending English Dutch or German kids as well or instead. Actually in June there may not even be many kids about.
Many campsites have lovely cabins and chalets you can rent, and though most will expect you to stay for a full week you may get lucky in June with a four day rental.
Where else are you planning on going?
Be prepared for variable weather in Brittany. It can be very wet.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end we rented houses/gites/apartments (still able to cancel if need be) in Trinite sur Mer, at Domaine du Gavaudun (in Dordogne/Lot) and in Strasbourg. We are also bringing my 76 year old mother-in-law from Australia (for what may be her last trip to Europe) so decided renting au centre ville in Brittany would allow her to get out easily to see things and come back to the house to rest. She also adores sailing so Trinite sur Mer felt like a good fit. I think our kids will get exposure to European children at Domaine du Gavaudun so we decided that ticked that box, but I think the idea of camping is a great one that perhaps we will explore next time.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:29 PM

travelrequired,
Trinite-sur-Mer is a great town and location and one that I want to spend more time in on our next trip to Brittany.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Enlarging your search: what about the Íle de Ré? The island has bike paths well separated from the roads.
We are actually now looking at Ile de Re as well. I’m curious about your opinions of St Martin vs Le Bois Plage for 5 days. I hear the beaches are much nicer on west side for the kids but also want my MIL to have enough to do in a village.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St Martin, is really nice, it has a regular market and just nicer. I couldn't spot the dates which is important as the Parisians come during August and the people of Ile de Re really don't like the Parisians and it can get a bit fraught.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
St Martin, is really nice, it has a regular market and just nicer. I couldn't spot the dates which is important as the Parisians come during August and the people of Ile de Re really don't like the Parisians and it can get a bit fraught.
I should have mentioned we are there June 21-27 so hopefully it will be a little quieter than later in the summer!
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Ile de Ré is pretty boring if you are not an avid cyclist.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
Ile de Ré is pretty boring if you are not an avid cyclist.
We do love to cycle and play on the beach. We’ll probably also do a day in La Rochelle. I have a six year old who struggles with lots of transitions so we are OK with it being very low key.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 10:24 AM

If you go to La Rochelle, do not miss the aquarium, one of the best in France. Most foreign tourists do not think of such a place compared to historic buildings and the various natural wonders; Also, the boat trip that circles Fort Boyard out in the ocean is worth it. Both things are great for a six year old.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 06:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I very much enjoyed the aquarium in La Rochelle!
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
If you go to La Rochelle, do not miss the aquarium, one of the best in France. Most foreign tourists do not think of such a place compared to historic buildings and the various natural wonders; Also, the boat trip that circles Fort Boyard out in the ocean is worth it. Both things are great for a six year old.
Thank you so much for this suggestion!!
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 06:42 AM

I even made a little video of it.