Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

good rural locations for a week stay this summer--perhaps Brittany or Normandy or northern France

good rural locations for a week stay this summer--perhaps Brittany or Normandy or northern France

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:22 PM
julie

I think we have finally decided to book air tickets. Because the really good deals are to the UK we will be crossing the channel and arriving from there. We are low key, active, independent budget travellers who would like to rent a cottage or a gite for a week. We'd like an area where we can do some sightseeing, but also just get in tune with the area and the culture. We enjoy the outdoors and hope to do some biking (an area where we would do lots of half day trips to interesting and charming villages would be ideal)and hiking. My husband is an avid fly fisherman so if the area offered that it would be a plus, but not a determining factor. We do like the water--rivers, seas etc. We enjoy wine areas also and would be happy just sitting in some charming small local cafes for a while. This trip we want to become part of a different country rather than just tourists. I speak some French so language isn't a huge issue. Our lodging needs are rather minimal--we want something cheap and not very fancy. Something intersting but off the beaten path would be our preference. We are not looking for touristy areas that are packed with golf courses, tacky attractions and the like, or fancy restaurants. What areas would you recommend? I think we will probably be trying to stay in the western part of France because we will be coming in from the UK and then renting a car.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:11 AM
JOdy

You might try this site..www.normandy-tourism.org

They have a section on small hotels and also gites. we are staying nr. Fougere nd will do trips toward Mt st Michel ,honfleur, and then to the south, east and west. Driving is not difficult there and we like a base camp.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Sheila

What happened to Scotland? she said plaintively.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:13 AM
JOdy

Sheila...

Are you speaking to Julie or me?

Scotland next year for us!

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Betty

Two years ago we stayed at a charming property about 15 mi. south of Lisieux (Calvados)and used it as a base for visiting Caen, Bayeux, the Normandy beaches, etc. We stayed in the larger house but there is also a small cottage called the "Lavoir" that would be ideal for 2 people. This property is very much out in the country, with cows on the surrounding hillsides, but close enough (5-6 mi.)to small towns like Livarot and St Pierre sur Dives where you could shop or find a restaurant for dinner if you like. I just checked the site and the cottage is available for July 27-Aug.3 or Aug. 24-Aug. 31. The owner is a very nice woman who speaks perfect English.
http://www.normandie-gites-normandy-rentals.com/

If that does not suit, you might try www.gites-de-france-calvados.fr for other properties in the same area that may still be available for summer.

I wish you a wonderful trip to France.

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Sheila

I meant Julie- we're corresponding elsewhere on the board; and you know how upset I get when people pass us by

I thikn you will have the same problem Julie. It's high season and it's 6 weeks away. I 've some Brittany agencies bookmarked too; I'll post them tonight.

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:14 PM
jeanne

There are some interesting looking choices at this site...Honfleur, Normandie.
http://www.location-honfleur.com/lou...r/chambres.htm

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Sheila

Here are three web sites with Breton holiday places.

http://www.susanparadise.co.uk/brittany/index.htm

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/

www.morbihantravel.co.uk

I've used all three companies

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:16 AM
francesca

We have had excellent experience with gites de france; the web site for the calvados region was given in an earlier post. The houses are reasonable and we haven't been let down by either location or quality. At this late date, you might have to call up the central reservations people and ask what they have left in your price range, or sometimes the web site can tell you what is available for the week/price you want. I booked a place in Burgundy this way for August. good luck

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:17 PM
srcit

First find the villages or cities in the area you would like to operate out of, then go to Logisdefrance.fr and check out the Logis de France hotels. Many are are rural but charming with excellent restaurants. We used them exclusively during a three week trip in 2000.

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Betsy

Hi Julie

We sound like the same kind of travelers. Here are two places we stayed near Bayeux two years ago. Both were good places to stay. La Ferme is out near the Normandy beaches. The house is 500 years old. The owners serve dinner and everything we had to eat was from the farm. Herve grilled lamb chops in the huge fireplace. It was a magical evening. I use my photo of the house as my computer screen saver. Le Manoir is the home of Col. Chilcott, a retired British officer and WWII expert. We loved their rambling farmhouse within walking distance of Bayeux. We passed on the colonel's battleground tour. Both of these places are inexpensive.

La Ferme de la Riviere
Saint Germain du Pert
14230 France
From US: 011 33 2 31 22 72 92
www.karenbrown.com/france/lafermedelariviere.html

Le Manor des Doyens
St Loup Hors
Bayeux
14400 France
From US: 011 33 2 31 22 39 09
[email protected]
www.vrbo.com/vrbo/352.htm

Jun 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
julie

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am trying to follow up on them.

Sheila--Scotland lost out because we dallied too long when trying to decide. The website had said that fares were valid until midnight, but when I logged on to book at 10pm fres had gone from $414 to $814 a person. Needless to say that eliminated Scotland. A lesson for everyone--if it's agood deal buy because it might not last.

Betty--looked up the lavoir and it looked like just what we want, but when I called, they were booked.

I spent hours surfing the gites de france site and at this late date everything that is in our price range seems booked.

I also am going to try the logis de france route. I actualooy discovered I have one of their guide books from a trip earlier this year. I'd forgotten that the proprietor had given it to us. We just stayed in that one hotel, but from what we saw this does seem like a good route to try. For anyone else out there who might be interested, the guidebook also has a section where hotels that would appeal to a certain type of traveller are listed--eg. hotels for cycling enthusiasts, wine enthusiasts, nature loving etc.

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Luis Vernon

Julie:

I was in Normandy last month, based in and around Caen. I can highly recommend the MANOIR DES TOURPES in the village of Bures-sur Dives, about 20 mins east of Caen, The owner, Mr.Michael Cassady is an absolute gem of a hotelier. Ask for the "peach" room, a huge bedroom with a fireplace and a view of the river, a garden and 2 friendly horses that love carrots, apples and stale bread. I'd also recommend Honfleur, a picture perfect harbor town on the channel.

Good luck..

Luis