3 or 4 day trip outside London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am traveling to London alone and would like to take a 3 or 4 day overnight trip to Stonehenge and other areas. Can anyone please recommend a tour company that I can book this type of trip with? Thank you
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Perhaps you don't need a tour company -- you've come to a board full of do-it-yourselfers! The many advantages of doing it on your own include probably costing less, much more flexibility in your schedule (if you suddenly decide you want to commune with Stonehenge for the entire afternoon, you're free to do so) and the fact that you are much more likely to interact with the people of Britain rather than the other tourists in your tour! For me, meeting new and different people is half the joy of traveling, and I couldn't bear to be in a busload of other Americans when I could be amongst the locals.

Stonehenge is accessible by public transit; you take a train to Salisbury, then a bus that runs every half-hour or so out to Stonehenge. Most people spend only an hour there, but Salisbury itself is very charming, wonderful cathedral with tallest spire in England (Britain?) and one of the original copies of the Magna Carta.

You can also get to many other interesting places by train: Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford, Cambridge, Lincoln, etc. etc.

Tell us your interests and we can put together an itinerary for you! Do you like museums, art, markets, outdoorsy things?

Another alternative is the many tours that make a day trip of going to Stonehenge and other places in the area: Some go to Bath, others focus on other Neolithic sites, or Cotswold vilages. Something for everyone!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I normally like the freedom and independence, but since I will be alone, I felt the need for more structure. I would like to see sights, and spend a night or two outside the city perhaps, if not I guess day train trips will suffice, but I'd like a more relaxing approach and go to bath, Stonehenge and whatever else is recommended. My last 5-6 days will be spent in the city going to theatre and museums...
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:04 AM

Suit yourself piano, and I wish you the best of luck in finding the tour you want. But some of us would find it LESS relaxing to travel as part of a big group with the "structure" of a fixed schedule and itinerary!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:10 AM
ira

Hi PB,

I also suggest setting up your own itinerary.

You could go to Bath and take one of the sightseeing bus tours for orientation and visit the baths. Next day take a tour to Stonehenge.

Then go on to Cardiff for two days and repeat the process. Visiting Caerphilly Castle as well.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:23 AM

Astral Travel and Evans & Evans are 2 companies often mentioned for DAY tours from London to Stonehenge. I know Astral also do longer tours but after checking their website (astraltravel.co.uk) I didn't see any multi day tours that covered Stonehenge (I could be wrong). It has been recently mentioned here that there arecurrently no tours from Bath to Stonehenge despite the fact that they're very close. Have a look at britainexpress.com for some other ideas.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:24 AM

To me, Stonehenge was a BORE and a letdown. Take a bus to Oxford or Windsor, you'll enjoy it much more.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:35 AM

Pianobaby, check out the following website. These tours sound like what you might be interested in. If not, there's still tons of good info here.

http://www.britannia.com/PriorityTra...on_groups.html

This website might prove of interest as well: http://www.britainexpress.com/index.htm.

You should also check out Evan Evans: http://www.evanevans.co.uk/.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:49 AM
ron

Maybe you want to consider spending the two or three nights in Bath. You could then have a day to tour Bath, on your own, using the hop on-hop off bus or guided, and another day doing Mad Max Tours (http://www.madmax.abel.co.uk/) day tour covering Stonehenge, Avebury, the White Horses, Lacock and Castle Combe. If you have a 3rd day, IMO, a must see in that area is Wells and Glastonbury; I do not know if anybody does a guided tour, but it could be done using local buses.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:00 AM

Bath is a perfect base. There are several interesting towns you can visit from there. (I took daytrips from Bath to Salisbury and Oxford.) Bath itself is a lovely town, well worth spending several days in.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. Does anyone have any suggestions where to stay in Bath if I use that as a hub for a few days?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
ron

There is a vast choice, but I really liked Chesterfield House on Great Pulteney Street, http://www.s-h-systems.co.uk/a01940.html
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:48 PM

This is ahrd kind of information to get on the Internet, I've tried myself.

I took 3 excellent daytrips with Gentle Journeys, and I know they also have longer trips, I highly recommend them. My trips were focused on gardens.

I have also heard good things about Oxford Walking Tours. If you don't want to walk, you could try emailing Oxford to see if they can recommend some nice non-walking tours, that's what I'd do. I have also heard positve things about Country Walkers.

All these places have nice websites.

I'd like to hear what you find out/decide to do, I like to gather tour information. If you're by yourself it can be just right to have someone else transport you around and have some company.

Oh!! London Walks also has nice whole-day trips, including to Stonehenge.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I just spent 3 days by myself in Bath in July. I stayed at the Parade Park Hotel. Excellent location, good price, a nice and safe place, big breakfast included in the price. If you want more info, feel free to ask: [email protected]