3 Nights in Scotland -looking for suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked a trip to Ireland this summer and decided to "pop" over to Scotland for a short stay. I know 3 days is not nearly enough to get a full experience but wanted to at least see some of the country. I'm very early in the planning stages but I'm thinking of getting lodging in Edinburgh for all 3 nights. We'd spend 1 day exploring the city, it seems public transportation will be sufficient to get around without renting a car for that day. However, we'd like to get outside of the city for a day and we'd be willing to rent a car then (we've driven on the "wrong side" before so that is not an issue). We prefer to have flexibility that a rental car gives us when exploring so if we were to rent a car what would be the must see sites/towns within a few hours, we're really looking to see some beautiful scenery Loch Lomond looks interesting, are there other areas we could loop in on our itinerary and make a full day driving tour?
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- having a car 'on hold' in Edinburgh for a couple of day trips really doesn't make a lot of sense. It would seriously limit were you could stay (parking and traffic issues) and you'd have to navigate out and back through heavy Edinburgh traffic twice for the day trips.

So either 1) Day trip to places you can easily reach by train/bus like Stirling or St Andrews or the Borders - 2) stay the 3 nights outside of Edinburgh like in the Trossachs with a car to visit places like Inchmahome/Loch Lomond/Stirling/Doune, and do a day trip in to Edinburgh - or 3) stay in Edinburgh but take a couple of small group day tours with Rabbies (never more than 16 passengers/usually fewer) https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...from-edinburgh

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

To clarify, we want to spend 1 day in and around Edinburgh. We'll make our base there just so that we don't have to change hotels. Our plan is to rent a car just for the day that we want to go explore outside of Edinburgh. It looks like we'll be renting a car on a Sunday so we'll go to the airport to pick up a rental car for the day. Depending on if we have parking where we stay near Edinburgh (some of the options I've explored on VRBO have free parking), we may keep the car overnight and drive it back to the airport for our departure. Based on your reply it seems like "Inchmahome/Loch Lomond/Stirling/Doune" would be a good area to focus on for the day we have a car? We are seasoned travelers and prefer the freedom and flexibility of a rental car to see sites and towns at our own pace.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 04:02 PM

Your OP said 3 days and now it sounds like you really only have two days??

If you have 2 days only -- then sure, visit Edinburgh one day and rent a car for the other day outside of town. There is a lot more to see in that area than the partial day you'd have but better than none at all.

IF you do actually have 3 days -- I would spend all three nights outside of Edinburgh and Day trip in to the city.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 04:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, so you have a day and a bit for Edinburgh and a day for a day trip someplace else.

I'm not going to fret with "where in Edinburgh" you plan to stay, only to recommend that you make sure that there's someplace to park the car overnight after the day trip so you can take it to the airport the next day. Have I got that right?

It looks from your posting history that you live in Colorado, and you'll have been in Ireland for some time, and are okay with right hand drive cars. So from that I'm going to assume (a) you're going to be over jetlag and (b) coming from the Mountain West, you're not frightened of a few hours in the car. Still right?

So in that case I'm going to suggest you go big before going home. Get up early, taxi to the airport and collect your car. Then drive like the wind to the west. Here's the map: https://goo.gl/maps/tzXpRAAjvqHdQoMH9

First, note that Google's time estimate of six and a half hours is horse... This will be an all-day trip, morning to evening. Fortunately in the summer in Scotland, the sun is up until quite late, so you won't have to worry about driving in the dark.

The route takes you on a motorway through Glasgow and up Loch Lomond into the Highlands. You could stop at the pretty lochside village of Luss for a coffee, then continue north. Cross the Rannoch Moor and take the single-track road down into Glen Etive, my vote for one of the most scenic short drives in all of Scotland. You'd continue to and through Glen Coe to its village at the bottom of the glen, which could be a late lunch turn-around point.

Return to Edinburgh with a stop in Callendar, a pleasant village on the edge of the Trossachs, and maybe a stop at The Kelpies, near Falkirk. If you're making good time, you could also stop at the Bannockburn battlefield, or someplace where you could get a photo of Stirling Castle. You'll be back in Edinburgh before dark, but probably not until after dinner someplace.

Now of course this is a pretty aggressive plan for one day, certainly by British standards. But it's really not especially grueling, and the views and feel for the Highlands you'll get are irreplaceable - in my view.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 04:59 PM

Gardyloo's route is good . . . Do pay attention to "First, note that Google's time estimate of six and a half hours is horse... "

Googlemap's drive time estimates are even worse than horse pucky. Plan on a full 8 hours car time (that is butts in seats) plus all the many places you'll want to stop, plus however much time it takes to get out to the airport and get the car.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. I've booked our lodging near town but on the West side so that we're closer to the airport. We'll rent a car for the day to explore Inchmahome/Loch Lomond/Stirling/Doune. That seems to be the best option to see the sights and not spend the entire day in the car. Appreciate all the suggestions.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 06:12 PM

" explore Inchmahome/Loch Lomond/Stirling/Doune."

That is a lovely day loop and totally doable. From EDI via Drymen, Balmaha (on the east shore of Loch Lomond, to the Lake of Menteith/Inchmahome, Doune, Stirling and back to EDI is about 3.5 hours 'car time' plus about 4 hours worth of stops.

The reason I'd do it in that order is Inchmahomre closes earliest with the last boat out to the island aroud 2:45PM so it would be hard to fit in after both castles.

I'd head to Loch Lomond first thing in the morning (about a 90+ minute drive) then start meandering back east stopping first at Inchmahome then maybe have lunch in the Lake hotel overlooking the island/priory. So . . . Loch Lomond -- then Inchmahome around 10 or 11-ish. Then lunch > Doune > Stirling (Last entry 5:15 but you'll want to be there earlier)