Help with Scotland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50 something couple going to Scotland for a week. Flying in and out of Edinburgh. Staying in Edinburg for 3 days. We figured we'd go to Glasgow, and because I am an English teacher, I would like to see Inverness. What are the must dos on this trip, and probably more importantly, what should I skip? If Glasgow is not worthwhile as a base city, we can skip it. We;ve seen plenty of big European cities and are more interested in the places that are unique to Scotland.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . and because I am an English teacher, I would like to see Inverness. "

This does not make sense to me. What connections does Inverness have to your subject? One would think that the Borders - Walter Scott, or Ayrshire - Burns, or Angus - Barrie, or lots of other literary connections in other places. Inverness - not so much?

You have a week and are asking about a whole country so the options are unlimited, but your time is VERY limited. Whethr Glasgow makes sense depends on lots of things - like are you Charles Rennie Mackintosh fan, etc.

And what do you mean by a week? Specifically, how many nights do you have 'on the ground'?
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Possibly the Inverness issue arises because the people living in the area are thought to speak the purest form of English?
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 02:02 PM

"Possibly the Inverness issue arises because the people living in the area are thought to speak the purest form of English?"

There is no 'pure' form of English anywhere and certainly not in Scotland.

But maybe you were joking??

Wonder if the OP is an English teacher i.e. literature, writing, vocabulary, etc, or an ESL teacher - but in either case Inverness doesn't seem to fit.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

7 full travel days. No car. I am a high school English teacher. Inverness because of its connection to Macbeth, and it seems that there are many day trips that we can take from there, but if Glasgow provides a better jumping off point and access to all the Robert Burns sights, we could stay there for the 2nd half of our trip. We'd prefer not to have to change hotels more than once with so few days.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 06:24 PM

"Inverness because of its connection to Macbeth, "

You probably mean Cawdor Castle - but it is not in Inverness but more than 15 miles / 30 minutes away and not easy by public transport. Nearest train station is at Nairn and would mean a 7 mile taxi ride.

Visiting the main Burns sites (Souter Johnnie's Cottage, the Birthplace, the Bachelors Club, etc) without a car is not easy either.

IMO you need to re-think what you want out of this trip.