Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 nights in Cote d'azur - where to stay and enjoy it all (Nice or Vence or other)??

Search

3 nights in Cote d'azur - where to stay and enjoy it all (Nice or Vence or other)??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm traveling to the Cote d'azur region in late May, just after the Cannes Film Festival. I wanted to concentrate on on the Nice area (including Eze, Villafranche-sur-mer, Vence), but also maybe Cannes and Monaco. I only have 3 nights and I'm coming in through Italy (Genoa). Would you suggest that I stay in a central location for all 3 nights and travel via day trips outward. There's a 50/50 chance I'll rent a car. Otherwise I'll need to rely on public transportation. My interests are markets, spectacular views, sites, people-watching, relaxing, as well as eating some great food.... Interested in budget to mid-range travel. Help! -Beth
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:39 AM

If you were to stay in Nice you wouldn't need a car, and you could easily take day trips by train and bus. Nice has a great outdoor market on the Cours Saléya, and you can get a marvelous view of the Promenade des Anglais and the sea from atop Castle Rock.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm getting advice on hotels. So far the hotel miramar in vence OR the hotel versailles in villefranche-sur-mer. Does anyone have any thoughts on these two places or locales?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM

If you stay in Vence, I think you pretty much need a car to be able to see the most in just 3 nights. Vence itself is only about a 1-2 hr visit - while Nice could keep you occupied for all three days.

I would stay in Nice - we stay at the Windsor (also spent 4 weeks in a gite just outside of Vence).

Stu Dudley

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Another vote for Nice.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Stayed at the Hotel Splendid last October - very comfy room, and great rooftop terraces, restaurant and bar. Very nice people, and the highlight and reason of going there: The Chagall Museum - breathtaking! Enjoy
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM

We were in Nice a week ago. The Chagall museum unfortunately is under renovations, until May I think. The Matisse Museum is worth a visit, it is situated in a nice park, next to some Roman ruins. Public transportation is a fantastic deal in Nice. You can easily take the bus into the city for $4 Euros.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Atlantanative

I would prefer to stay in Villefranche-sur-mer, St Jean Cap du Ferrat or Beaulieu.

If your visit is confined to Nice itself, you will not need a car. Unless you want the flexibility to visit other coastal towns such as Antibes, Juan-les-pins, St Tropez etc.

Have fun!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I've JUST learned that the Monaco Grand Prix is going on just before my arrival. I knoew about the Cannes Film Fest. Although, both events will have ended by the time I arrive, the hotels are slammed. All of the suggested places are booked in Nice, Vence, Villefranche-sur-mer, etc... Does anyone have any thoughts on the Hotel Armenonville in Nice. It DID have availability so I reserved. It looked "okay." Also, any clue to the crwods involved with this Grand Prix event??
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Did you try La Peruse in Nice? We loved it there.

We too were there during film festival and Grand Prix. We never made it to Cannes, but we tried to see Monaco. We went on the day they were setting up. We had a handicapped parking pass even and we never ended up leaving the car. It was nuts. There was no place to park or even pull over. We ended up driving on the race track streets before they closed them. I have cool pictures. Anyway, if you want to go to Monaco, go as far before the race as you can and take the train.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM

We *just* got back from that area - we stayed at Hotel Welcome in Villefranche. I would definitely stay there again - we loved it!

Loved the peacefulness of watching the water at night (we have a water-facing balcony). No fancy restaurant (fine for us) and no pool (we obviously didn't need). If you are would like restaurant and pool, La Perouse (in Nice - recommended by kelliebellie) looked great.

We are also a fan of renting a car... for the 'freedom' of visiting the places we wanted on OUR schedule. But we are not intimidated by the roads or the parking.

Villefranche has some good restaurants - not for gourmet 'foodies', but good casual dining. We enjoyed the place we ate so much on one night that we went back the next night (La Fille du Pecheur on the waterfront). I'm sure there are those that would turn up their nose at it, but it was low-key and yummy food.

Hotel Welcome has a buffet for breakfast that many get their breakfast at and bring back to their balcony to enjoy. We enjoyed sitting there in the evening enjoying happy hour before we went out for dinner. At times, it was hard to get motivated to go and only a really grumbly belly interested us. Rooms are very reasonable and nice without being fancy.

good luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM

The La Pérouse is lovely, but I'm sure it's already booked solid--and it's in quite a high price range.