Scotland Flight Destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to travel to Scotland next May, and visit the Borders, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Highlands, and one or two of the islands. There are quite a few airports to arrive in - Glasgow, Inverness, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, etc. Do you think it matters which one I should arrive in? Or if I find a good fare to any one of them, is getting around the same whichever one I arrive at?
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Do you realize your proposed itinerary covers almost all of Scotland. You'll will need at least 4 weeks to cover that much area although Glasgow and Edinburgh are less than an hour apart.

Regarding flights, all depends on where you are flying from. That information is essential as well as knowing your dates and assuming you will be renting a car. Public transportation will put a real hiccup in your plans.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying from California, so the price of a flight can vary hugely. My wife and I want to do a walking tour, probably in the highlands. Don't need to visit Glasgow, and already spent a week and a half in Edinburgh last year, but would like to make it to the Borders after our hiking tour. Right now, LAX to Edinburgh is $814 RT, and Glasgow is $775. If I could find a flight in the $500s to Inverness or Aberdeen, would it be worth it?
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 09:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>If I could find a flight in the $500s to Inverness or Aberdeen, would it be worth it?<<

You won't -- not from the west coast US.

Where you fy into essentially makes no difference re itinerary since one or more of those airports is the closest to one or more of the regions you list. So just book and the work out your itinerary based from where you land.

One or two which Islands? Some of the Inner Hebrides, or the Outer Hebrides, Orkney, Shetland??? Sure hope you have at least 4 weeks . . .
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 03:55 AM

We flew into Inverness and out of Edinburgh. Inverness airport is small and very easy to navigate. Car rental was right inside and we were out of airport very quickly. Was not too long a drive over to the coast. If you can get a cheap flight there I wouldn’t hesitate if you don’t have a long layover somewhere. Edinburgh airport is easy to navigate too so it depends on the route you choose to travel.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
. . . Every airport in Scotland is easy to navigate . . .
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 12:04 PM
ESW

Flights may be cheaper, but, depending on where you want to be once you land in Scotland, there may be additional travel costs which could negate any savings... You need to actor these into the equation.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 12:31 PM

If you wanted to fly through Schipol (Amsterdam) then get a connection to Edinburgh, it may be cheaper, but then again, it might not be. Newcastle might be an option, as it is in NE England, and close to the Borders. You could do a walking tour of St Cuthbert's Way or the Upland way while you are there, but it is green rolling hills, rather than mountains. Visit Lindisfarne, island depending on the tides.