3 days: Venice or Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Rimini for an athletic event in early June. Afterwards, I'll have 3 days left to spend in either Venice or Florence. Time is short, and I'm having the hardest time deciding which city to go to. Suggestions?
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi g,

It would help to know more about you.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM

I vote for Venice. I absolutely fell in love with Venice last year. It is such an amazing place. I am looking forward to going back very soon. A few days is a good amount of time to explore and enjoy the amazing city on the water! Hopefully you will have nice weather. We had 2 sunny, perfect, and comfortable temperature days and it was splendid! I have not been there in bad weather, but I hear you get a very different feel of it then. I hope if you choose to go that you have wonderful weather like we did.

Enjoy and let me know where you ended up!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:57 AM

They're both great but Venice is like no place else in the world & early June is an ideal time to go.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Venice, especially if you haven't been there before. It is unique.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Another vote for Venice!
Monica
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Unless you are a lover of the Renaissance and Renaissance Art, I also vote for Venice. Florence is wonderful for its art and its food but Venice is unique.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Hi
Venice is one of my favorite places on earth, so far, but there are people who don't like it. It is more expensive than Florence, is not as noted for fine food at a good price (though that can be found with a little careful choosing), and it has no industry except tourism, so for every wonderful experience there is an opposite tourist trap experience to be avoided. It is as others have said, uniqure, but that applies to the downside as well as the beauties. Its charms are subtle. Other places have more and better art, food, value based on price, etc. Its culture and influence peaked in the 15th century, and it's been going downhill (literally) ever since. I love it down to my toes.

Florence has gorgeous art in abundance, perhaps more masterpieces of art per square inch than anywhere else I can think of. It has wonderful food. It is good for shopping: ceramics, leather, paper. It is also a gateway to Tuscany and historic towns, vineyards, landscapes.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Venice's art does not lack in quality at all, some of the finest art of the Venetian school is on view for free all around the city. Tourist traps are easy to avoid if you are able to walk a few blocks away from Daytripper's Alley. Many people are too afraid or too ignorant to do this, so they get stuck in the touristy shops and restaurants.

Venetian cuisine is different from that of the rest of Italy, and different from the spaghetti and meatballs most Americans vizualize as Italian food--there are plenty of wonderful places to dine in Venice, but you won't think so if you are expecting Chef Boy-ar-dee or Healthy Choice Frozen Stuffed Shells.

If you are not a huge Renaissance groupie (I'm not, as you might gather), I'd definitely pick Venice.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Venice (although I love Florence)!