Thoughts on Venice?

Search

Thoughts on Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Venice?

I hear some like it, some love it. Why do you love it/hate it-what are some likes/ dislikes? Is 2 nights enough time or would 3 be better?
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Personally speaking, there is nothing I dislike about Venice. It is the most magical city I have been to thus far. The architechture, lack of motor vehicles, the canals, and the people are just a few things that make Venice truly unique.

I spent 4 days there in 2003, and still didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to. So, I'm now planning to go back for a week.

Most people say that 3 days is ideal for a first trip, and I must say that I agree. After all, not everyone falls in love with Venice as I did.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:46 AM

We love Venice - I have been 3 times. Unlike some cities, you don't just "see the sights", you experience Venice. One of the top two or three travel thrills of my entire life was approaching the entrance to the Grand Canal in a water taxi on a beautiful sunny morning - unforgettable. Venice is beautiful, mysterious, unique and there is something new (or very old) around every corner. It has beautiful architecture, wonderful music (think Vivaldi), great art, incredible churches. It is a delight just to walk around. If you love Venice, and I do, 2 nights is not nearly enough. Three nights would be better but more would be even better.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I loved it in October 2000 but was disappointed in December 2004. The cold and rain dampened my spririts a little and we had high-water issues for a couple of days. I would go back for 3 or 4 days but only in the fall.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I sbsolutely loved Venice, but I think a lot rides on the weather. My friend enjoyed Florence more than Venice, as we had great weather in Florence, but quite a bit of rain in Venice. I have previously experienced lots of cities in less-than-perfect weather, so can overlook almost anything. The weather definitely changes your attitude about a city though. That said, I think Venice is one city that, rain or shine, is trully amazing.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM
SRS

I love Venice! It is so relaxing and beautiful. We just wander and wander for hours on end. Walkers rule here.

The only thing that sometimes gets stressful is finding a place you want to come back to and then not being able to locate it again.

We went for 2 days the first time (not long enough), 4 days the second (much better), and now we are planning for a week's stay. I can't wait!

I love spending our days wandering and then listening to the orchestras at night!

We still haven't made it to nearly a fraction of the museums because we get caught up relaxing.

Bottom line, I think 3 nights would be better than 2. Venice is really special!

Sally
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:13 AM
ira

Hi k,

If it weren't for Paris, Venice would be my favorite city.

I can't think of anything I dislike other than the crowds.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:18 AM

3 nights better than 2. 4 nights better than 3.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Venice because it is totally unique. I've been twice, 4 and 5 nights which seemed about right, but I could easily spend a couple weeks there given the chance.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM

I love Venice. And I hate crowds.

The first time I was there I spent two nights. It wasn't enough time. But if that's all you have, it's still worth it. Venice is always worth it. It really is the most beautiful city I have ever seen.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I just returned from my thirteenth trip to Italy and am one of those that does not care for Venice.

I have visited the city 5 times since 1978, most recently in January of last year during Carnivale and previous to that in 2002 in May. I have stayed in a luxury hotel with a canal view (The Danieli) and other 3 and 4 star hotels and pensions.

To me, Venice feels contrived and artificial. While many Italian cities are crowded in season, in Venice it seems more frustrating, probably becuase to me it is not worth it to fight the crowds.

Many I know find it magical but IMHO and IME it is a very expensive city and there are many other places in Italy that I much prefer spending my time and money.

I think that everyone should visit Venice if they have the opportunity and make their own decision. On my past three visits, I was there with companions that had never visited the city before but wanted to see it. None of them were enamored with Venice and we ended up cutting the visits short and moving on.

For my brother, it is his favorite spot in the world and he can easily spend two weeks there and be in heaven.

To each his own.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Well, yes, Venice is contrived and artificial--it always has been. It was constructed from hundreds of boggy, marshy islands over centuries of enterprise and hard work.

Of course, you can say pretty much the same about all cities--very few grew spontaneously without human intervention.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Ah, RufusTFirefly, you can always be counted on to be arrogant and sarcastic.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM

it definelty is a magical place ive been there 4 times and would still go back. a must are the islands of burano and murano. from venice you can also make side trips to verona, vicenza and padua
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I didn't find Venice to be that expensive. I got a good deal on my hotel, meals are perhaps a little more expensive than Rome but you can get good deals in some areas, and attractions are more or less the same price.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:07 AM
eab

Hi Klio,
We loved Venice. We were there two years ago and are going back in April. Venice is so different from Rome and Florence that it had an exotic quality, and it truly is serene after the wild scooters and other traffic of Rome and Florence. We are big walkers so we loved wandering around. I'm curious to see if we have the same reaction on our second visit.
It's definitely worth seeing once so you can form your own opinion.
Enjoy!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Venice is my favorite city in the world. It is unique, it is beautiful, and it is gloriously rich in art and history. There is no better place on earth to wander around, hopelessly lost but deliriously happy.

Wander long enough, and eventually you'll run into this guy:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36524122OPbCQh
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:16 PM

kfusto--arrogance and sarcasm are two of the best weapons against ignorance and sophomoric utterances.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM
ira

Re costs in Venice:

The US Dept of State lists the per diem allowances for
Rome $460
Florence $471
Venice $369

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM

You got that right, kfusto! and btw, I appreciated your viewpoint on Venice. Myself, I've not made up my mind this city, since I don't know it well enough, yet, but will hopefully remedy that situation next month. I don't know as I could ever feel for it the way I do Florence, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -