Florence or Venice

Search

Florence or Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence or Venice

I need some advice for a 7 day trip to Italy. We`re considering doing a Globus tour (the laid back one) to Rome and Florence or Venice. We are 2 Moms aound 40 with a slight case of AADD (adult attention deficit disorder- lol ). If you had to pick - what`s better ? We enjoy Art - Wine - and things to do. What would give us more in a short time? Any input would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM

"See Venice and die"

Few truer wrods have ever been spoken.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM

when i went on my contiki trip last summer I found that florence was a lot of shopping.. there is some great architecture but I think for the overall package you are going to want to go to venice. There is food, shopping , architecture, museums and gondola rides
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Have been to Florence and Venice, 2x to Venice. We enjoyed Florence but love Venice and would choose Venice! What month are you planning to take your trip? There can be flooding in Venice at times. We have only been there in the months of June and July and it was beautiful weather.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Why not get some books from the library about each city, preferably with lots of pictures, and see if you have an intuitive attraction to the visuals and/or history of one over the other? Find out what your gut tells you.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM

We returned a year ago from Florence & Venice, have a little read and see which one tickles your fancy!
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34758287
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Florence is beautiful. But go to Venice. It's one of those unique places on earth.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Both great, but Florence will be much more interesting if you have AADD. Venice is unique and great to see, but restaurants are fair and you can pretty much see the sights in a day or so. Florence by contrast is much more happening. Great museums, sights, restaurants and piazzas....and if you get board, there are easy day trips out by train/bus (i.e. siena, san gimignano, lucca).

Again, think they're both amazing, but given you self description, I don't think there's a question as to which you would prefer.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM

I love them both but if I could pick only one, I would pick Venice.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM

I agree Venice is absolutely wonderful. I wonder though, if you have a significant other if you might want to go with them to Venice. Venice is very romantic.

Florence is the place if you AADD. There is lots to see there. The Uffizi, Academia, waking the Ponte Vecchio. My friends and I had an adventurous public bus trip up to Palazzo Michelangelo above the city to go to the church where the monks chant. The Santa Maria Pharmacia. The big central market place. The Duomo. The gelato....

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed and with only 7 days, you will not be bored

Enjoy
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I'm going to be a dissenting vote and say Florence. So much to do and see, it really keeps you stimulated.

Venice is great, too, but a nice romantic place to just be and relax. If you are "doers", I'd do Florence.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Interesting. We found a lot more to do in Venice than in Florence. We thought Florence a bit of a "one trick pony"--Renaissance, Renaissance, Renaissance. A lot more variety in Venice (including some Renaissance).
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM

I truly love Renaissance art and history, and can still remember the moment I saw my first Giotto <i>in real life, it's actually there, a Giotto</i> when I walked into the Uffizzi. I got misty-eyed. And I'm pretty hardnosed.

I still like Venice better.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Rome and Venice will provide a greater contrast and a wonderful trip. We did Rome first, and by the time we got to Florence, we felt like, okay, more art, and also unfortunately more crowded and smoggy...when we got to Venice last our mouths dropped open, it is awesome, your first site of Venice especially.

In my opinion you cannot feel the soul of Venice without staying for 2 or 3 nights and getting the vaporetto pass...go wandering about...do some museums...have pizza by the water...float down a canal just before sunset...wow...
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow- this is going to be a tough one I see. We are going in May. We also both plan to go back again with our husbands and families. We`ve heard such mixed reviews on Venice. It seems alot of people either &quot;love it&quot; or don`t. Same here with all that responded. It`funny isn`t it?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM

I have been to Venice five times, Florence 15. I do not like Venice, do not find it magical, charming or romantic. I have been there five times only because I often have a friend with me who is a first timer and wants to visit, not because it is a favorite spot.

Florence is my favorite city anywhere. I love the art, architecture, fashion, the ability to day trip into the Tuscan countryside, standing on the Ponte Vecchio at daybreak, wandering the streets of the Oltrarno.

I have made many friend there and enjoy the Florentine people as well.

I am very type A and am over Venice in a very short period. The last to trips I cut short and simply got out of town. My type C brother loves it so perhaps that is a comparison that might help

I will be in Italy this fall with 7 people who have never been. Venice is on the agenda but only for two days and only because the majority want to visit. Then off to Florence for 6 and Rome for 4.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Hey Florence lovers. We're going there in June with our teenage boys for 2 nights. Any suggestions for great family hotels or restaurants? (Although I still prefer Venice for u Tori)
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Not one of these responses has anything butpraise for Venice and it &quot;wins&quot; by a large margin the voting for which one you should consider so how do you say that the responses here confirm that people either love or hate it?
Okay, one response does but it was posted after your post I am referring to.

Is that what you are hearing? I would be confused about where to go if I didn't get clear messages being sent, too.

And whats up with two people stating that Florence is the place to go if you have AADD? That's just a ridiculous comment.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Aramis, the OP asked specifically about ADD so IMO it is not ridiculous at all.

I am one who bores easily and Venice bores me quickly. I find it artificial.

I never tire of Florence and could happily live there.

That was the point being made.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Hey kfusto, any suggestions for me about your favorite city? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -