3 days on the Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on our honeymoon and plan on spending 3 days on the A.C. Is Sorrento a good home base for doign excursions to Pompeii and other places of interest. We have a free stay via Hilton in Sorrento. Is this a good city for sightseeing as well? Any help is much appreciated!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:44 AM
ira

Hi hokie,

Yes, Srrento is a good base. You can take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii, the bus and ferry along the coast, and the ferry to Capri.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:43 PM

My husband and I stayed in Sorrento and did the same excursions described above. We really liked Sorrento, I'm not familiar with the Hilton however.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:11 AM

We just returned from a stay in Sorrento and we were happy with our choice of towns as our home base. It was convienent to Positano, but consider taking the ferry for a trip to Amalfi. Make sure you don't miss seeing Herculaneum. You can take the train from Sorrento and get off at the Ercolano Scavi stop and walk 10 minutes to the site. It's incredibly well preserved and was a highlight of our trip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM

We stayed at the Sorrento Hilton, and found it a lovely base for the area. It's up a hill overlooking town, but it's an easy and pleasant walk down past lemon trees in the evening for dinner. Our room had a panoramic view of the bay and Vesuvius was visible in the distance. Breakfast was also decent! We had some terrific pizza at a place called La Fenice - ask the hotel for directions (again, you can walk there).