3 days in Nimes - enough to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a short (romantic)break and have found some really good deals to Nimes. I love France but know nothing about Nimes or the area. Can anyone tell me if it has enough bars/ restaurants/ sights etc for 3 days?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Conserning sightseeing:

If you are talking about 3 full days (4 nights) in the city of Nimes then probably not. If you are planning on renting a car and doing things in the area as well such as the Pont du Gard then yes there is plenty.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:49 AM
DAX

Nimes is a small city with limited tourist attractions. It's not romantic or quaint, but it's not far from Avignon, Les Baux, Arles, Aigues Mortes, Uzes and Montpellier so you can use it as a base to drive from. I have stayed there for two nights and did feel rather limited in the choice of good restaurants & bars (clumped mainly around the arena).
If you're looking to experience a city in that area without a car, I would pick Montpellier (stay near the Comedy). I have stayed at the Sofitel for 2 days. It has a better transportation system and a lot more to offer in city life though the same limited number of tourist attractions. Plenty of avant garde restaurants & bars to go at night. It's quite inexpensive to fly into Montpellier and hotel prices are quite reasonable.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:52 AM
sandi

Nimes has a 3-day tourist pass available that covers most sites to be visited and is a pretty good deal, even if only used for 2-days.

And Nimes is a fairly large city, much of which we walked from end to end and can keep you busy for 3-days, all depending on your interests.

But with a car, you can also get to Uzes, a lovely Renaissance town about 15-miles north of Nimes; also a must is to get to the Pont du Gard and even into Avignon, if you choose.

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:57 AM

If your accomadations are not already paid for, Iwould strongly suggest spending yor time in Montpellier just a short train ride away. BEAUTIFUL small city. Nimes is nice, but not as pretty and interesting as Montpellier in my opinion. Only a thought. In any case, you will be visiting a truly beautiful region of France.

Have fun!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou! I wasn't planning on hiring a car as I found when I stayed in St Jean De Luz the trains were so fast and cheap that I didn't need to. I'll have a look at Montpellier though, so thankyou for all your suggestions!!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Hi

I've got lots of info on the area here : http://tlp.netfirms.com

Peter