Arles or Avignon?

Search

Arles or Avignon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arles or Avignon?

We are planning to spend about three or four days in Provence in May. Do you think it's better to be based in Arles or Avignon? Also is it best to rent a car in the area or is there good local transport?
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Base in one of the two cities and then do what? Also rent a car and what do you want to do with it?
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

We have no set itinerary. We just want to see as much of the area as we can.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 01:59 AM

These are both terrific places but they are of such great interest themselves that you will find yourself wanting to hang out in the towns, probably interfering with your desire to see "as much of the area as we can."

Now I am happy to see less at greater depth, but if you are not, you should stay in a smaller town with less to see and do and tour the countryside in a rented car.

These towns are also in the flatter part of Provence (yes, I have been through the Alpilles and visited Les Baux) and many people want to be in the hillier parts like the Luberon.

If you don't want to deal with driving on narrow hill roads, you could spend two nights each in Avignon and Arles, with a daytrip from Avignon to Nimes or the Roman Pont du Gard and a trip from Arles to Les Baux. The Roman arena in Arles is wonderful as is the Palais des Papes in Avignon.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM

www.lecalendal.com Arles my fav a more intimate town with Van Gogh Catalan Romanesque and Provencal roots. Avignon more of a big City feel ok not great Popes Palace nice there. seat61.com/france train way less hassle than car in towns cities. Renault eurodrive is nice if planning lots of rural travel but I prefer train cheaper city center to city center.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 03:33 AM

Both are lovely but I think Arles has more character and an absolutely fabulous Saturday market.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 04:52 AM

I love both Avignon and Arles. Arles has the greatest market we have visited in Europe. Stay in either Arles or Les Baux - it is easier to get in and out of town. By all means, rent a car - it is definitely the best way to see Provence.