6 Day Trip To Europe

Search

6 Day Trip To Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Day Trip To Europe

My friend and I have the opportunity to take our first trip to Europe in April, but we are only able to go for 6 days (tentatively April 5-11th). We are from NYC and would like to go somewhere with a reasonably short flight time, to maximize the actual vacation, and would also like to go somewhere that most of the tourism is confined to one major city and the nearby areas. Basically, a place like Italy is out because there are SO many places to go.

As far as what we enjoy, we are both 27 years old and love adventure - we went skydiving on our last trip. We also love to take pictures, so a lot of interesting scenic shots would be nice (eg, the Eiffel Tower, the guards in front of Buckingham Palace, a castle in Ireland).

Any ideas? We are very excited
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't cross Italy off your list. You could fly to any major Italian city and see the sights inside the city and make a day trip or two into the nearby countryside.

Rome + Tuscany or Umbria
Florence + Tuscany or Cinque Terre
Milan + the Lakes
Naples + Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
Venice + the Veneto
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM

I have not been to any country in Europe where "most of the tourism is confined to one major city." Most of the countries are like Italy - there's lots to do and many places to visit. Even on Malta, which is tiny, the interesting sights are spread out and not confined to one place.

I would not discount Italy simply because there are so many places to go. Choose one city for your week in Europe.

You should visit a place that interests you and not limit yourself to the above criterion. But if you insist...perhaps Macedonia or Bosnia?
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Paris. Will easily fill your six days, and you can add a side trip to Versailles.

Or London. Your six days will be full there, and you can add Windsor and Hampton Court Palace easily.

Either city would be great for a first timer. I think Rome might be a little intimidating as a first trip for some.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM

I agree: Paris. You will love it and it's a delightful introduction to visiting Europe. I'd recommend a day trip to Reims to go on a champagne tour. And see the Cathedral.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Paris would be a good choice for a base.

And, Reims is a great place to visit the champagne cellars. I liked Martell. The cathedral is wonderful.

Or you could visit Rouen for a day or two. The cathedral is wonderful, the city is known for Joan of Arc, and is a wonderful medieval city with some excellent restaurants.

Or you could visit Giverny and Monet's gardens for a day. Again, a wonderful day.

I've been to all these places.... loved them all and can't recommend one over any of the others. Day trip choices will be difficult.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM

There is virtually no country in Europe where most of the tourism is confined to one city. Quite the contrary. There is also no place on earth that is worth going to to get photo ops of yourself in front of major landmarks, because that by definition would mean being confined to a major tourist area of a major city or landmark.

The shortest flight times to Europe from NYC are obviously the UK. So I would pick London. It's expensive and a major city, though. You'll have to be a bit flexible about your desires if you want the shortest flight times. London won't be any different from Italy, though, as far as your criteria go - there is SO much to see and do there and in the surrounding areas. Just like Italy.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Just to toss out something different... what about Munich-Salzburg? Your flights would be a bit longer than London or Paris but Munich is a great city for young folks - very fun vibe. Salzburg is an easy train ride away. From Munich, you can easily daytrip to "Mad King Ludwig's castles".

Or for a really random combination, there is an overnight train from Munich to Venice. So you could spend a couple days in Munich and then travel overnight to Venice and spend your last days there before flying home from Venice.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:15 AM

Well, my first choice would always be Paris.

My sons are about your age, and I think they would answer Amsterdam; maybe in you're lucky the flowers will be in bloom.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:22 AM

Your questions a bit like asking what flavor ice cream should I buy? Everyone has their favorite. Since it's your first trip to Europe, I'd go with London. No language barrier, incredible amount of things to do and easy daytrips if you choose-but there's more than enough to keep you busy in town.

But that's my opinion. I'd advise you and your friend to talk it over, maybe google different European cities and then decide together where to visit.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:38 AM

cheapoair.com NYC to any city in europe will be an overnite flight so anywhere like LON PAR ROM would be best you would arrive in the morning have 4 full days there and fly back.
eurocheapo.com/rome for me good food lots to do WARMER.
ostia-antica.org my fav one euro on the metro from downtown.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:41 AM

Welcome to Yellow , Rome's classiest and sexiest accommodation. More than a mere hostel, Yellow has grown to become a Youth Hotel with a vibe and …

yellowhostel.com

the happening place for Rome

www.3ducks.fr if you elect Paris
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:57 AM

Rome will be very crowded as that weekend is Easter. Travel in most of Europe will be limited (possibly Sunday service) on Good Friday 6th April, Easter Sunday 8th April and Easter Monday 9th April. It is also a holiday for school children and lots of families will be taking an Easter holiday.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 03:17 AM

I agree with most here, Paris or London are perfect. I'd go with Paris as a first choice only because it's such an easy city to fall in love with.

Also, I was in Paris and London over Easter break two years ago, and it was great, but expect some rain so pack accordingly.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM

I am in agreement with most of the posters above. There is nothing like Paris and it is a reasonable flight from NYC. There is plenty to see and do to fill 6 days.

London is also great and offers a lot to fill 6 days. For your first trip to Europe, I would choose one or the other of these two great cities.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Paris or London would be my choice. Have a wonderful time. When I was younger and could only go a short time, we packed a lot into 6 days. Enjoy