3 days in Munich with a toddler

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Munich with a toddler

Hi,

My family will be in munich from 3/31 (Friday afternoon) till 4/4 (Tuesday afternoon). First time in Germany. I have a toddler.

Can you suggest the best way to spend time keeping in mind a toddler. Like most mueseums, good restaurants and bike tour are ruled out. I want to enjoy the city and neighboring places. I will rent a car to do the romantic road.

3 years back I had a fantastic 14 days in CH with my wife thanks to you fodorites. Trying again but with the toddler constraints. Hey you Mommy and Daddy's out there!

-_ Rohit
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM

We brought our toddler to Munich this year and she had a ball. Sometimes she'd let us push her in the stroller and other times she ran a few steps ahead of us. I think she had the most fun at the Augustiner beer garden playing with the other kids at the playground, while we drank our beers and watched them play. Along the Romantic road we stopped in Dinklesbuhl, which gave her a nice chance to get out and run around a little. We were able to do quite a bit of travelling by car; we'd drive for an hour or so in the morning keeping her interested by looking for cows or sheep etc. and then we'd take a break somewhere to let her run around, and after another half hour of driving, she'd fall asleep for her noon nap; when she woke up later, we'd be at our destination. Try to follow your toddlers normal rythyms and travel on their schedule and you'll be fine. Germany is very easy with kids. Plenty of little rest stops with juice boxes and snacks and many of the cities have playgrounds and pedestrian only streets which are great for strolling. Let me know if you need some specific advice or recommendations.
Whitey
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I remember taking my toddler kids back in the 80's. They were a great ice-breaker. German women were always talking to them and smiling at us. At the Berchtesgaden salt mine the ladies want absolutely ga-ga over my kids wearing their little miner outfits. At dinner our waitresses would bring the kids treats after dinner and once gave them free strudel and ice cream (which I got to eat).

The Germans are very family-oriented and love kids. They won't cramp your style in any way and may even open doors to places you might not normally get to experience.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks, that is encouraging.

Can you provide help as to how to plan the 3 days in munich. we were thinking 2 day trips : salzburg and romantic road to rothenberg. Is it ok or too much? Any specific recommendations on what to do in munich itself?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Hi Gullu,
I think your plan makes sense. You can daytrip by car and spend the nights in Munich beer gardens. If you don't plan on seeing many museums in Munich, you can easily explore the old center in a few hours; you may want to look into the Munich walking tours of the city if that sounds interesting to you. Driving the Romantic road isn't all that romantic; it's nice farm country with some cute towns along the way. Rothenburg and/or Dinklesbuhl which are very similar, are well worth your time. During the day though, these places can be overrun with tourists, so the best time to visit is early or late. If you have a chance, take the night watchman's tour of Rothenburg which is interesting and fun.
Salzburg makes a nice daytrip being close to Munich. If you had another day or so, I'd suggest you drive from Salzburg to Hallstatt and spend the night. It's a homey little town and the drive is scenic.
Whitey
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Gullu,
We were in Munich and Salzburg last month for ten days with a 2 year old. She had a great time and Germany is a great country to travel in with kids. Everyone was very friendly to her. Because of the cold, we didn't spend too much time in parks and gardens, but had to find fun things to do indoors. In Munich we managed to get to a couple museums and took a bus tour of the city, which I'd never done before anywhere, but my daughter got a kick out of it. Munich has big painted lions all over the city center and my daughter loved touching and getting her picture taken with each one. We spent a lot of time just walking around the city center. I think its key to try to find things that interest kids in between doing more grown-up things, like maybe popping into the toy department for a few minutes after you've done something not so fun for a little one. In response to your question about whether two daytrips are too much. I guess I would say yes, at least based on my child. Not that Salzburg or the romatic road are so far away or its hard to drive in Germany, but I have found (after two trips to Europe in the last 6 months) that sometimes you just need to take your child back to the hotel room and let them chill out a bit. Is it possible for you to not stay every night in munich and possibly spend a night along the Romantic Road or in Salzburg? I have to say one of the best parts of our trip was our stay in Oberammergau- the hotel wasn't fancy, but it had an indoor playroom for small children and even a playground outside.