3 days in Athens

Search

3 days in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Athens

I need some suggestions on where to stay, where to eat and any experience with tour operators. Does Athens have a HOHO (Hop on Hop off)?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM

I was just in Athens in May.. yes, they do have an on/off bus for 11 euro... we hired Nikos from Private Greece Tours for our party of 6.. I can't tell you how pleased we were with him.. he took us to Delphi, Cape Sounion, and also a tour of Athens.. I wouldn't recommend public transportation.. other travelers we met had bad experiences on the subway and buses..ex: purse snatching and wallets being lifted on the subway... do not stay in Omnonia Square area..we did - it was in the middle of the worst area of Athens.. The Plaka district is beautiful.. I recommend any restaurant on any stairways leading up to the Acropolis..
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
ira

Hi S,

What's your budget?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM

I've never had trouble with pick pockets on the Athens subways but in any subway system, you have to be alert at all times. I agree that the Omonia area is not the best choice - I like the Plaka and Makrigianni areas better (less congestion) unless you can afford the Grande Bretagne. You can walk to all the archeaological sites and the new Acropolis Museum easily from the Acropolis Metro station. I've done the tour to Sounion twice and would recommend the afternoon visit to see the sun set. The Archeaological Museum is outstanding and I like all of the Benaki Foundation Museums.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions all!! Thanks...Ira - I would say my budget is moderate, in the 500 euro range for lodging for the 3 nights. Is that reasonable? Frugal - can you tell me what Nikos charged you for your party of 6?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM

The main historical center of Athens is quite compact and really best visited on foot: the Acropolis, Plaka, agora and related sites are all close and walkable, and mostly pedestrian only anyway.

Unless you have seriously mobility issues, I wouldn't pay for a HOHO tour in Athens, unless it were to visit the more far flung locations but for getting around the city, it would be cheaper to use public transport. I found the subway system easy to use and no more dangerous than any other big city (actually less so than many that come to mind). I liked staying in the Plaka, at the Electra Palace, but that might be out of your budget. There are many budget properties in an around the Plaka and Syntagma Square areas.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:14 AM

Last year we stayed in the Attalos Hotel and in the Cecil Hotel, both on the same street, close to the Plaka area. Good value - rooms were a decent size, clean and safe, if in need of a little updating. Location was excellent. The Attalos has a pleasant rooftop bar with views of the Acropolis. The Cecil price includes breakfast.

Be careful on the metro between Piraeus and Athens - pickpockets are rife. We were hit on twice - they didn't get away with anything but we got a scare - the thieves looked exactly like fellow-tourists and we didn't give them a second glance until they "accidentally" brushed up against us looking for our wallets. A sharp shove from the husband (he's a very big man!) accompanied by a roar of "Thief!!" sent them running. He almost got a round of applause from the rest of the passengers! Stay alert and you'll be fine.

Visit the Acropolis either first thing in the morning or in the evening - it's too hot any other time. If you go there first, you will receive a ticket that allows you to enter all the other archaeological sites free.

The pedestrianised Plaka area is very pleasant, with plenty of bars and restaurants. Once nice thing to do in the evening is to visit the open air cinema in Thesio - it's called the Thesion Cinema. Shows start at dusk and they usually feature classic Hollywood movies (in English with Greek subtitles). Where else can you sip a beer watching a movie, with the Acropolis in the background?

Athens is a very under-rated city IMO. We found the people very friendly and willing to help with directions and so on. It is a bit grimy and traffic is hectic, but the pedestrian projects around the great archaeological sites make everything a lot nicer than it was 20 years ago.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM

Hotels in Syntagma, Plaka, Makrigianni, Koukaki & Monastiraki areas will fit the bill.

I have stayed in Attalos, great rooftop bar, hotel is ok, but I have found some others better for the money.

Astor hotel, 2 mins from Syntagma Square, breakfast/dining on the great rooftop, great hotel, only downside was low water pressure for the shower, but that may have been because we were on the top floor. Would definitely stay again. Views can be seen here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassas...7623652900967/

Pan hotel, stayed twice, great location for a budget stay, not much in the way of breakfast but I would stay agin for the convenient location.

Hermes hotel, another great location, a bit more expensive than Pan & Astor, no views.

Parthenon Hotel, south side edge of Plaka, recently refurbished, stayed here 4 times (once since refurb), very good breakfast & really helpful staff.

Cypria hotel, stayed twice, only a few minutes from Syntagma, great hotel if you can get a bargain, but prices have risen there over the last year or so as it became very popular, no views.

Others to consier are Athos hotel, Central hotel (both next to or opposite Hermes), Amazon & Plaka hotels. There are many others, but when you find one you like that suits your budget check back on here & ask for details, some location descriptions on websites are not clear & that really is the key to enjoying your stay in Athens.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM

I stayed at the Amazon which Yiassis mentions above. The rooms were plain but spotless. The A/C
worked well and the location excellent between
Syntagma and the Plaka.

http://www.amazonhotel.gr/

Can't comment on the breakfast as I can't imagine eating indoors in Athens... get out and enjoy!

For a few dollars more I'd have a serious look at
the Athens Gate Hotel as well...

http://www.athensgate.gr/
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM

Take yiassas advice to heart - he/she lives there.

And agree with ParisAmsterdam - if budget works Athens Gate is a great choice. Great location. Good restaurant/bar on the roof with outdoor patio and amazing views of Acropolis. Excellent buffet breakfast included with room. One caveat: if you're a light sleeper ask for room on backside away from street (and they're cheaper). Rooms a little on the small side but very modern and updated. Great staff.

Agree with mes2525 and others to definitely visit Archeological Museum and the Benaki Museum. Displays are set in chronological order and easy to follow - walk through 4,000 years of history in a few hours.

Metro very easy to use - extremely clean and efficient. Everything pretty much in walking distance from any Metro stop.

If you're there on a Sun, the flea market near Monastraki is pure entertainment and very enjoyable. Great for local color.

Definitely agree with ter2000 that Athens is very underrated. No dirtier than most cities I can think of (yes driving is rather chaotic) Wonderful people, great neighborhoods, excellent restaurants (and do NOT overlook the neighborhood bakeries) and of course fascinating history and sites.

As far as restaurants, if you click on my name, I did a rather detailed trip report of our 15 day visit in 11/08 including what we ate, name of restaurant and costs.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM

I visited Athens last week for the first time in 28 years and found it a sad place.There were lots of boarded up shops and graffiti and you felt it was still on the way down (as it probably is financially)
We stayed off Omonia in the Polis Grand. We booked this notwithstanding the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were there on a holiday weekend and were lat-ish in booking. This hotel had a competative rate - no doubt because of the area. The hotel itself was totally fine and about 5 minutes walk from the underground.The area wasn't where we would want to live but no-one bothered us or threatened us. Someone did try and pick my rucksack whilst I was standing at the pedestrian crossing in Omonia. After returning I read in the paper that the Athens police had smashed a gang of about 70 mostly Romanians who were preying on tourists in the underground.
We walked to the Plaka and back and that was charming and we returned to eat.The restaurant was Skolhario at Tripodhou14 in the Plaka. We enjoyed this-for 56euros we had 10 dishes for four people to include wine and bread-terrific!
We used the underground which was clean air-conditioned and punctual and cheap.
On the way back our daughter stayed in Phillipos near the Acropolis which she said was a very nice hotel indeed. The rack rate was about 140 euros per night.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Good grief! Not use public transportation? They have a GREAT system. It is easy to use, clean, cheap, and there are fascinating artifacts in several of the stations. I think Athens is way under rated. The typical tourist attractions are clustered in one small area easily walkable. I will agree that the prices drop dramatically as soon as one leaves the Plaka area, but that is life.
I would say that as a general rule, one should ask for hotel rooms or apartments not on the front of the hotel and not on the street level. The streets, out of the main tourist area, are very small and the sound reverberates up between the buildings. In my opinion, the cars and motorcycles are just noisier than the US standard. So, bring a noise source to counteract the sound or spend more money and stay higher up. We rented a house for a week which we really enjoyed. Other than the traffic noise, I would not have changed a thing.
Three days will go by in a blink of an eye. One of the best parts of Athens is going to a tiny restaurant outside of the tourist area where they are REALLY happy to see you. The next thing you know, the owner will send a round of drinks and maybe a sweet for dessert. Don't overplan.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM

S - I cannot remember off hand.. I had my 84 yr old aunt, her 80 yr old friend and then the 4 of us 54 and under.... I honestly can not remember...but, with my aunt and her friend, I just didn't want the extra worry of them not being safe... and Nikos was so accomodating...check his website www.privategreecetours...
I can't say enough about him.. I normally use public transportation and I would have if I didn't have the elderly worry.. if you email Nikos - he responds quickly.. he does give quotes so if this is the route you are thinking of - I recommend it...and he will adjust the tours to what you want and what time you want...