Search

3 1/2 weeks for Italy May 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 1/2 weeks for Italy May 2011

Hello fellow Fodorites,

We are an Aussie couple in our mid 50’s that have 8 weeks leave in May and June 2011. Aren’t really into art, 5 star hotels or meals but do enjoy walking, general site seeing, nature, the outdoors, loading up the daypack with goodies and finding a special spot for a picnic. Of course we want to see the main sites but like to wander off and just see what we see. We will not be hiring a car but using trains and buses – Tdudette, your great trip report made us realise this IS possible and we thank you.

Our focus for this trip will be Italy for roughly 31/2 weeks then onto Ireland and the UK so this post is really part one – Italy. This is our proposed itinerary so far; we would really appreciate any input and suggestions to make it even better.

Rome - arriving on May 1 early in the morning
5 nights

Train to Orvieto
1 night (maybe 2?) any nice walks out of the town?

Train to Perugia
5 nights

Train and bus to Siena
2 nights – take a hillsandroads day trip

Bus to Florence
3 nights

Train to Manarola, Cinque Terre
3 nights

Train to Venice (5 hours!)
4 nights

Fly to Dublin May 24.

I am just not too sure of Siena/Florence, general consensus seems to say that it’s best to stay overnight in Seina to get the most out of it so do we just stay in Siena and day trip to Florence? We would then grab a taxi to the station and catch the train to the CT from there.

Ok it’s now over to you for your ideas and guidance, thank you.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Any reason for staying for 5 nights in Perugia, except for eating Perugina candy?

I would cover Cinque Terre on the way north instead of backtracking to it and then heading for Venice. If I had to give up something, I would drop Orvieto. It's very nice, and has good wine but you will see other nice places.

I would day trip from Siena to Florence. In fact, I probably would stay longer in Siena and would rent a car there for a few days and visit the several worthwhile places within easy driving distance from Siena.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would add a night to Orvieto and a night to Siena, by taking two of the nights from Perugia. There are walks/paths around Orvieto to Etruscan tombs. Another option is a bus excursion to Civita di Bagnoregio. Be sure to check schedules and book return tickets. You don't want to miss a last bus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita_di_Bagnoregio

From Siena it's easy to day trip by bus to Florence, Volterra, San Gimignano, Montalcino, etc. (except on Sunday when some towns don't have bus service). Between Florence/Siena buses run hourly and take about an hour.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.
Treplow, sorry I don't follow what you mean about backtracking to Cinque Terre as it is north of Siena? I am obviously missing here. We thought Perugia would be a good base for using public transport to visit a few of the smaller towns in Umbria.

kybourbon, we are leaning more towards the option of staying in Siena and thank you for those ideas, sounds great. I also found a Nature Train that runs from Siena so I will look into that. Civita di Bagnoregio looks fabulous too so the idea of an extra day in Orvieto makes sense rather than staying only one night.

Keep the ideas coming, this great!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:47 PM

I just wanted to say that you made a great choice going with hillsandroads. I assume you are taking a day trip with Luca? You will love it (and him). Enjoy, I am seriously envious of your extended time in Italy.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Flame, his website is mentioned here often with such favourable comments that he is the obvious choice but so glad to hear from another happy customer. I think it will be well worth the money spent.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM

Oh you are welcome Maudie. Do you have a place to stay in Florence? If not, I can HIGHLY recommend Hotel Casci, we have stayed there no less than FIVE times and loved it (obviously!!). It is NOT fancy but it is immaculately clean, it is a small B&B run by THE most caring and accomodating family ever, it is right smack in the middle of town close to everything you would want to see. Breakfast is much more than what is usual in Italian B&B's/hotels. And they take really good care of you.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

It looks perfect, we are simple travellers and don't need all the creature comforts but do need clean! Breakfast sounds wonderful. I appreciate your input Flame, do you have any ideas for accommodation in Siena?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM

I gathered that from your original post, that's why I suggested the Casci, we are also the same type travelers. All I need is a really clean place, comfortable and good service. We have never stayed overnight in Siena so I can't help you with accomodations there but I suggest you check out tripadvisor (which is where I have always found our accomodations and never been steered wrong).

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

I too always check out Tripadvisor but nothing on there at the moment grabs my attention for Siena. Anyhow it is still along way off so maybe something will pop up when I start the arduous task of finding accommodations.
So many posts on here are for places that are way above our budget and taste so its nice to fine a kindred spirit.

Many thanks once again for your helpful suggestions, I am sure there will be lots more questions and I haven't even started on Ireland and the UK!!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Hotel Ai do Mori in Venice is nice.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Peter, looks like a great recommendation.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed very budget in Orvieto and Siena last trip. In Orvieto I stayed at a convent and in Siena a hotel/convent (Alma Domus). Both had curfews. In Orvieto it was midnight, but they preferred 11 pm and you had to let them know if you would be out later. In Siena, it was 1 am. They both might be more budget than what you want. Very basic with private bath.

The convent in Orvieto (Monastero San Lodovico) had a great breakfast for 3€. Click on "where we are" and scroll down to see the location.
http://www.monasterosanlodovico.it/English/english.htm

Alma Domus is beside San Domenico and just a few minutes walk from the Campo or Duomo. It appears they have included breakfast in their rates for 2010.
http://www.hotelalmadomus.it/

In the picture of San Domenico on wiki, you can see Alma Domus in the lower right corner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilic...omenico_(Siena)
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon, curfews won't bother us as we will be tucked up in bed by those times after all the walking. Budget is fine then we get to spend the money saved on other goodies. They both look great!

After doing some thinking we might do as you suggested and add a night onto Orvieto so we can visit Bagnoregio, take a night off Perugia & add to Siena. We can't decide if we want a day trip to Florence or go for 2 nights which would pretty much give us almost 2 full days if we leave Siena early. It will be easier to get the train to the CT from there than Siena. Oh too many choices.

Thanks again.