Search

Day Trip: Rome to Siena

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:10 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip: Rome to Siena

I'm interested in the possibility of a day trip from Rome to Siena. I have done a number of searches to glean info from the forum and now I'd like to ask a few more pointed questions. I'm particularly interested in folks who've done this type of trip, as I'd like to here their experience (i.e. what would you do differently):

Seems that the bus is the best route and it will take 2 buses to get to Siena from Rome. How long will this take?

Is a day trip doable, and if so, how many hours should we plan on being in the town? There will be 4 of us (Hubby, Mom, Niece and myself).

This will be hub's and my 2nd trip to Rome for 8 days and I'd like to spend a day in a smaller Tuscan town as I don't believe Mom will be coming back to Italy.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi Daj,

>I'd like to spend a day in a smaller Tuscan town as I don't believe Mom will be coming back to Italy.<

Does it have to be Siena?

You can get to Orvieto in about an hour by train.

You could also take the train to Florence (1 1/2hr) and take the SITA bus or train to Siena.

See www.trenitalia.com/en and
www.sita-on-line.it
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:07 AM

I agree that Orvieto would be a good option and easier to access. However, you can also train via Chiusi to Siena.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:20 AM
ira

Thanks, Bob

It is faster to go by way of Chiusi.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:31 AM

You might try this bus option www.sena.it (direct ~2:45min).
Regards, Walter
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Last September we took a bus directly from Siena to Rome. We did NOT have to change buses. (As others have pointed out, if you take the train, you must change trains in Chiusi.) The bus ride was 3 hours. While Siena is a very interesting city, it is probably not the most convenient day trip from Rome.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Thank you all for thought provoking options and giving me the picture of the timing. If it was me & the hub, 3 hours wouldn't be as big a deal; however, with Mom, I would like a Plan B to enact depending on how she's feeling.

Changing a from train to bus may not be so bad, if it provides for more expedient travel. I can see that Orvieto is about 1/2 the distance. I will do some research into this town

I know this is not part of the Title Question (i.e. Rome to Siena), but what about Perugia? or any small towns on the nearby lakes (i.e. Bolsena or Trasimeno, which indicates ruins in the area)?

Thank you for any additional input.