2nd UK trip

Jan 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

2nd UK trip

I've been to England once before. Loved it. I did the typical---London, Bath, the Cotswolds, Warwick, and a bit of Wales which I thought was wonderful.

I'm going back for two weeks, I plan to visit more in London and Oxford to see a son. Any suggestions of the other places that are not 'the typical'?

Also, can anyone tell me much about Cornwall and if it is a worthwhile visit?
Jan 28th, 2005, 10:11 AM
jay

Glastonbury, Dover, Salisbury and Windsor
Jan 28th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I enjoyed Canterbury very much. You should also visit Blenheim Palace - it's very, very near Oxford.
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

JoeTro, my son is an American also. Just got there this term and is loving it. It seems that you must be too. Are you? Thanks for the hints. If you have a chance to go to Wales, by all means do. Wonderful! Only thing better in my mind is Ireland. Amazing.
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM

You could visit East Anglia. Suffolk and Norfolk have some delightful small towns and villages, many with very big churches, built with the money from the wool trade.
It's not very far from London but seems to be off the main tourist track.
see http://www.visit-suffolk.org.uk/
Lavenham is charming. The houses were made from unseasoned oak with the result that they are crooked.
Southwold is another very nice little town, a small unspoiled seaside place.
There is a small ferry rowed by a young woman who is at least the fourth generation to work it. This takes you to Walberswick, another nice little village with an old pub, the Bell Inn full of quaint little rooms.
see http://www.suffolkcam.co.uk/southwold17012004.htm
Jan 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Ah, the town of Lavenham...just beautiful.
I would like to recommend 3 areas in northern England, which I feel are must sees. That is Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, and North York Moors.
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Hi
Have a glance at the post 'ok everyone, what's so great about York'. It might persuade you to head for Yorkshire, a beautiful part of the country. I live in Yorkshire, but was born and raised in Suffolk, so a second vote for here as well. Bury St Edmunds would be a good base to visit the coast and the lovely villages.
Happy to assist in more detail with either place if you should choose them.
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:47 PM

Combine Cornwall with Devon. The southwest is beautiful. Fine seascapes and wild moors. Go for it.
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:23 AM
billy_goat

Really, you are spoilt for choice. Any of the above suggestions will take you somewhere picturesque.
Devon and Cornwall are wonderful, with great walks along the cliffs, lovely little coves and don't forget the cream teas.
Yorkshire, again with places like Robin Hoods Bay and the Moors. The best fish and chip place in the UK is in Whitby.
Then of course, Suffolk is delightful.
Just stick a pin anywhere and you'll find what one of my American friends calls "the real England".

Jan 29th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for some great suggestions. They all do sound great. I was in Ireland last year, and really came to realize, that it isn't the castles and abbys etc. that I enjoyed the most, it was more the just being and seeing the countryside and having time to talk with the people. The suggestions you have given should lend itself to that very well.