Search

2010 Honeymoon!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Honeymoon!

I am beginning to plan my honeymoon in Italy for October 2010, and would like to know what to focus on. We want to see some of the major sites/cities, but will also want some downtime in warm weather on the coast. We will have about 10 to 12 days. What is our best bet?
Thanks so much!
Sue and Charles
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Can you tell us any of the major cities you are considering? My "best" may not be yours.

In 10 days I would prefer no more than 3 locations. In 12 days, no more than 4, but I'd still prefer 3.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Hi Han - My 'top 3' would probably be Venice, Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

Flying open-jaw would be best - maybe into Venice and out of Naples - or vice versa.

JMO ...

Steve
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:23 AM

My suggestion would be Tuscany (base in Florence and day trip to the countryside), the Italian Riviera (Rapallo or SML) and Rome. A nice mix of cities and stunning scenery.

You can fly into Pisa and out of Rome or vice versa to save time.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in some of the ancient ruins, but I'm not a history geek, so I believe I would like touch the major sites in Rome. Is Venice not worth seeing? I have heard mixed reviews. It sounds quite touristy, which isn't what we are looking for. Tuscany is a must - the wine country, and the Amalfi coast sounds beautiful. For those who have travelled there, would those three places be do-able in the time we have? (10-12 days)
Thanks!
Sue and Charles
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Sure you can fly into Naples, do the Amalfi Coast, then head up to Tuscany and then end in Rome, flying out from there.

We did a similar trip in 2007 and stayed in Positano. We rented a car in Sorrento at the end of our time there and drove to Tuscany...its an easy drive on freeways, and then turned the car in at Orvieto and trained into Rome.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jamikins!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Uh-oh, you aroused the sleeping Venice zealot. Yes, Venice is well-worth seeing. (I personally think it the most beautiful city in the world.) And, yes, there are lots of tourists, but if you stay in Venice, you can be there morning and evening when the daytrippers are gone. Plus the single best thing to do in Venice -- to my mind -- is to wander around in the back ways and little piazzas away from the crowded tourist sights. We always make a point of staying away from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto, both of which can get very crowded.

But Venice is small, eminently walkable, and extremely romantic. I would think it a must-see on a honeymoon. And it's a good place to get over jetlag and post-wedding fatigue.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM

spend at least 3 nights at each place for more enjoyable trip.
If you change location you lose a day.
If you have 10 full days, I would do the big 3.
Rome, Florence and Venice. Fly into one and out of another to save time and money.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM
ira

Hi Hang,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

>Venice not worth seeing? I have heard mixed reviews. It sounds quite touristy, <

Of course, the rest of Italy is a touristic wasteland, with only a few locals hoping an American or two might drop by now and then.

12 days is excellent for the Big3 - Venice, Florence, Rome. Fly into V and out of R.

>...will also want some downtime in warm weather on the coast.<
You are expecting to hang out on a beach somewhere? That is why you are going to Italy instead of Florida?

You really ought to get a guidebook or three.

My trip report might give you a few ideas, Ira’s Trip Report (Italy 2003)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Good luck with your Honeymoon planning... I'm planning mine for June 2010 now too, and it's not easy!

I studied abroad in Italy so have travelled to a lot of different areas in the country, but am trying to think of what I would want to do on my Honeymoon as oppose to just a vacation in Italy. These are tough decisions for you to make, because all of the places in Italy are amazing, but no matter what you choose, you will have the perfect trip.

There are two trips that I think of, but have a hard time deciding which I would want to do. Personally, I would not want to go to Rome on my honeymoon, but having never been to Rome, I could see how you might think it's a must.

Trip 1: Fly into Venice and spend 3 nights. Wander through the city, get lost in the narrow streets, take Gondola rides, there is no place in the world like Venice. I think it would be the perfect first stop on a Honeymoon because you can do everything at such a leisurly pace. I would then take the train to Florence and base out of there for 5 nights. I would dedicate 2 days to seeing the city and sites and then spend 3 days doing day trips to the countryside. Finally, I would go to Cinque Terre and spend 2-3 nights (check the weather for October though). I only did Cinque Terre as a day trip but have heard you could easily spend 2 days there. (I guess you fly in and out of Venice, but I'm unsure if there is a train from Venice to Cinque Terre).

Trip 2: Start in the Amalfi Coast- spend 5 days there. It is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I have been. Travel to Rome from here and spend 3-4 nights. From here go to Florence and spend the rest of your nights, taking day trips from the city.

Personally, i would want to do Amalfi Coast, Florence and Venice on my Honeymoon, but not really sure if that is feasible, others can advise you on that.

Good luck and congratulations!