Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks Northern Italy - itinerary advice please!

Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Off to Northern Italy for last 2 weeks of July with DH. I have booked tickets flying into Verona and out of Pisa. It is my 40th Bday trip and I want it to be special!

We love - hiking, beautiful unspoiled places, 19th and 20th century art, delicious food and want to see both mountains and ocean. I have purchased a 3 night Luxury Link package at the Hotel Posta in Reggio Emilia so that is definite.

Don't like - kitschy hotels, prefer a more modern style where possible although Hotel Posta is old and looks wonderful. Budget would be up to about $300/night ideally.

Right now I am thinking something like this

Maybe 1-2(?) nights in Verona to rest up after a long journey from Toronto. Byblos Art Hotel?

4-5 nights in Dolomites - considering Vigilius Mountain resort in Lana (though $$$), Seiser Alm Urthaler in Castelrotto (anyone stayed here? looks lovely but not much info out there). Is one area better than the other for hiking (more spectacular spiky peaks?) Does it make more sense to stay in one area or both?

Should I stay a night or 2 somewhere else before Reggio Emilia - Ravenna or Ferrara?

3 nights in Reggio Emilia at Hotel Posta

4 nights in Liguria, I am thinking Lerici.

Would appreciate any advice!
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I should add that we have already been to Venice - more interested in going a bit off the beaten track (although admittedly Liguria in July is squarely on the beaten track!)
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM

Listen, Snoopy, to stay in Reggio Emilia in the last two weeks of July, that in Italy is the hottest period of summer, means to live in hotel under a/c protection for the whole day, and by the way be sure they have a swimming pool, and then try to visit something only after sunset.
I think it is very important for you to know it.
Ravenna, just a bit better because the sea is very close; the same of Reggio Emilia is Ferrara that, anyway, deserves to be visited more and more than Reggio Emilia, whose only appealing item is aceto balsamico tradizionale and the very good restaurants (do not miss TRATTORIA DELLA GHIARA).
In Verona 2 nights, especially if you like opera and you book tickets for Arena di Verona. You can choose among AIDA, TOSCA, NABUCCO and CARMEN, but you should buy tickets very soon.
A very good hotel in Verona is LA RESIDENZA VERONA HOUSE (www.veronahouse.com).
Rather than Lerici, may I suggest you a very original location ?
Close to Lerici and Portovenere, only fifteen minutes by boat, there is a very small island whose name is Palmaria.
Well, if you book soon and are lucky you can stay there at LOCANDA LORENA (www.locandalorena.com) and spend time to swim and have delicious meals as Locanda Lorena has also a very gorgeous restaurant.
Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM

Sounds like a nice trip. I would go straight to the Dolomite and stay in Castelrotto or Ortisei. The Seiser Alm area is superb hiking. On the coast we prefer Portovenere but Lerici is also nice.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM

We went to the opera (Aida) in the Verona's ancient amphitheathre last summer. It was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life. If possible, see Aida; it was the first opera performed when the opera festival in the amphitheatre began (in the early 1900's) and is still the most popular one.

We got tickets the afternoon of the performance but I strongly recommend you get them in advance. I would never have been so blase about getting tickets if I had known how incredible the experience is.

Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
jgg

We stayed in Lerici for 4 nights and really loved it. Portovenere is also very nice and I would definitely consider staying there as well. The thing that we really liked about Lerici is that it is much closer to the autostrada than Portovenere so we were able to more easily explore the area - which we did by visiting Carrara and a marble mine - fascinating - and a wonderful little inland town called Sarzana that we believe has THE best gelato in Italy (Gelateria Biagi).
Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

Vicenzo I am always so pleased to read your tips and I was intrigued by the suggestion of Palmaria; the hotel Lorena looks lovely. But I thought that this island was home to a naval base... (??)

Am I confusing it with another island?
I must put this on my list of places to visit in the future!!

Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Ekscrunchy,
you are right, because Palmaria was a naval base since 10 years ago.
Then it became World Heritage by Unesco together with the two smaller islands Tino and Tinetto.
Now is a very lovely place where spend few days and Locanda Lorena is a very lovely place, very good as restaurant, also.
Ciao.

Vincenzo
Dec 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM

We did 2 weeks in northern italy in September of this year. Our plan was as follows: venice 3 nights, cortina 3 nights, bolzano 2 nights, laga de garda 3 nights, milan 2 nights, verona 1 night, fly back from Venice. Cortina was wonderful for hiking and sightseeing in general. If you can get to the dolomites, do it! We found a great little town, isera, just north of Garda with a wine center, culinary school restaurant and awesome views.