2 weeks in La Herradura

Search

2 weeks in La Herradura

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in La Herradura

We'll be spending two weeks in La Herradura in late October. Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants, sights not to miss, or any other advice for our visit?
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM

You mean La Herradura in the coast of Granada?
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Between Almenecar and Nerja.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, that should have been Almunecar.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM

There are several recomendations I can make, but have no time now. Let me top this and I'll be back later.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Some info I have in my archives and am copy/pasting here.
There’s a new motorway from Malaga to the east. You get to La Herradura in 1 hour. The coastal N-340 is a good road though winding in places and crowded sometimes. Along this road from Nerja to Herradura you have first the Caves of Nerja (most visited monument in Andalucía, second only to Alhambra) and charming Maro. Then on the right you’ll find the exit for Playa El Cañuelo. Upon entering the Granada province you have exit to beach Cantarrijan. Then inmediatly another exit to Cerro Gordo (up, not to the beach) just before the tunnel, it is the old road that goes winding above the túnel and joins the main road after it, only that the other lane. Passing the túnel you are at La Herradura.
Cantarrijan is a nude beach, if you are for it, it is very nice; if not, skip it, as the road down there is terrible, only for 4wD; there is a shuttle but I believe they charge 8€ person. There is a beach diner below, poor quality and expensive. See http://www.rentalia.com/beaches/file.php/ref/4077.htm
Playa El Cañuelo is a good place to spend a pleasant weekday at the beach, good road down. There is a diner too, but I suggest carrying a picnic basket. See http://www.rentalia.com/beaches/file.php/ref/3298.htm.
This part of the coast is rocky, shingle beaches. If you can get a boat ride, there are many places unreachebly otherwise, and great to snorkel (highly recomended). I believe there are places in town to get this.
On the detour along Cerro Gordo you find a very good restaurant, La Leyenda. I used to go there, but have not ben in these past years. Fresh fish and stag or boar in the season. Great terrace to dine with a view, with only three or tour tables, so better check at phone 958640216. I remember they closed on Wednesday.
Daytrip to Nerja (there are several posts here) and Frigiliana.
Do not miss Frigiliana, it is all slopes and cobblestones, but no cars or bikes in very well preserved old part of town. You can eat at Hermanos Jaime, beautiful view from a small terrace with only two tables, so make sure to make a reservation at 952533168. Dont miss the Ingenio (sugarcane factory).
Daytrip to Las Alpujarras. Go: Salobreña (beautiful visit). Carry on and there is a crossing to the left. The road first goes by a river, very beautiful. Go Velez de Benaudalla-Orgiva-Pampaneira-Bubión and Capileira (end of the road, but very beautiful town. Then you can go back to Orgiva and go to eat at Lanjarón, Alcadima restaurant, 958770809.
Nerja to Capileira is almost two hours. Winding road, slow drive but safe, and great views. Avoid if raining.
An addition to the Alpujarras:
instead of eating in Lanjaron, you can drive one hour from Pampaneira to Trevelez, for one of the best hams in Spain, eating at La Despensa de la Alpujarra, 958858668, Almond soup, Pork meat and Trout, specialities.
When reaching Hotel Salobreña (big building on the right before reaching the town) it is worthy stop to see the view of the town from above.
La Herradura and Almuñecar were very beautiful spots before the enormous developing, DW used to spend summers there when child. On weekends, all the coast gets crowdy, so better stay in town, and make daytrips on weekdays.

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks josele, These are just the kinds of ideas we need. We hope to mostly relax and enjoy the restaurants and do lots of people watching, but I'm sure we'll find time to do some short trips to see Andulusia.