2 weeks in Italy for the first time

Aug 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

2 weeks in Italy for the first time

Hi

I have been reading the posts here .. and I think it will be really helpful to take advice from ppl already been there.
I have 16 days in italy .. must do places would be ROME ,FLORENCE,VENICE,NAPLES .. need help with itenary .. My plan was 4 nites/5 days in Rome ( we are flying in & out of Rome ) .. then head north to florence, side trip to Pisa , Venice -- 2 days .. and then train / fly Amalfi coast .. side trip to Capri ..Please help . Will 4 days be enough in Rome ..??
Also want to go to the Blue Grotto .. any ideas ??
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM

You have been reading too many tour brochures. I would skip Pisa and the Blue Grotto but I would include your 4 primary destinations. If you can change your air tickets I would fly into Venice and home from Rome and have this order and timing:
Venice--4
Florence-- 3 with side trip to Siena
Amalfi coast--4 [you pick it]
Rome---5

Hope this helps.
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi M,

Do you already have plane tickets?

Aug 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Ira , I do and am flying in and out of Rome . Thanks Bob for your feedback .. it sure helps .
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Will I need 4 days in Venice .>???
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Here are some places worth exploring that are off the beaten track but near enough to Rome. These places are filled with historical religious importance plus have scenic beauty: La Verna(southern tuscany, related to Francis and Bonaventure), Civita(1 hour north of Rome, related to Bonaventure), and Subiaco (1 hour east of Rome, related to Benedict). These are breathtaking and have few tourists. Check them out on the internet for their significance.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Hi,

Bob's scheme is a good general scheme to start with.
But what are your interests? Roman architecture, medieval architecture, baroque architecture, paintings, moderna art, nightclubbing, beachbumming...

<Will I need 4 days in Venice .>???
Certainly yes. And if by any chance you would get bored, You can take a train to Padova, Verona or Vicenza for a day trip.

What bothers me are your tickets. An open jaw solution would have saved you a day... No way to change that?
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:31 AM

although I agree you could easily spend 4 days or more in Venice, I don't think you "need" that amount. Your original plan was 2 days there, and if it is 2 full days I think that is enough to see the major sights and have some time for wandering around the city.

Obviously you can visit either Pisa or Siena as a side trip from Florence depending on which interests you most.

I think you will be disappointed in the Blue Grotto if you make a special trip to Capri just for that. Capri is an interesting destination but IMO you will enjoy yourself more if you stick to the Amalfi coast for a first trip.

as others have said whether 4 days is enough in Rome depends on your interests. There is certainly enough there to occupy you for at least a week, without even including day trips, but many people spend 3 to 4 days and are able to see the major Roman ruins, the Vatican museums and St Peters and spend some time walking around the central historic part of the city.

What time of year are you planning to take this trip?
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. We are going in Sept.and No there is no way I can change my tickets . I am thinking of doing 5 Days Rome ; 4 Florence ; 4 Venice & 3 Amalfi Coast . Would like more feedback on Amalfi Coast ..
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Since you must return to Rome to fly home, I would go immediately to Florence or Naples or even Venice on arrival, then do the others, returning to Rome for your entire stay there at the end.

Venice>Florence>Naples>Rome
or
Florence>Venice>Naples>Rome
or
Naples>Florence>Venice>Rome