Italy - Florence, Rome, Venice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Milan in September for 4 days on business. We aren't sure where to go after (for 7 days). We are both 27, like to experience and explore other cultures more than going to museums or doing major amounts of sightseeing. What would you recommend?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Venice and Rome, or Venice and some small tuscan/umbrian towns (Siena, Orvieto, San G. etc.)
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Is this your first time in Italy? I recommend that you see Venice. It is pure magic. A place you will want to come back to again and again. Lake Como is also a wonderful area without a museum in sight....
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi

How aboout 3 days in Venice, 4 days in Florence w/visits to Siena and Lucca/Pisa?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

This is our first time to Italy. We have been to many other countries, and love different things about each. I would say that my two favorite European cities (currently) are Paris and Sevilla. They are very different, but each has its own charm. I have been reading alot about Venice recently, and find it fascinating. Although, I love Roman Holiday, and can't imagine being in Italy for the first time, and not going to Rome. Such dilemmas!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:44 AM

I'm going to suggest that you go to one place and stay there---as you already know, the more you move around the less of a sense of place you'll have. As you'll have been in Milan you'll already have experienced the business/big city/icky traffic side of Italy, and so I'd pick either the countryside someplace or Venice. Venice sounds like one long museum visit, but in fact you can just about skip museums entirely, as the whole place is a very cool experience. Lots of day trips, easy rail access from Milan.

The downside to Venice is the tourists, but this won't be so bad in September, and if you're there over a weekend do your day trips on those days. Stay someplace well away from San Marco and you'll get to see local life. Small hotel/pensione, small restaurants (go to the same one more than once), small bars (ditto for repeat experience).

Save Rome for your next visit (a great excuse to come back) when you want to deal with another big city.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM

I think 7 days would give you enough time see Venice and Rome. Then come back another time and visit Florence and Tuscany.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:23 AM

In a week you could see all three but it would be a whirlwind tour. I think Rome deserves 5 days, Florence 3, and Venice 3, but you could get highlights in a shorter time.

Take the high-speed trains.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I do think we like the long stay in one place option most - it is so relaxing. However, knowing that I want to see so much of Italy makes me feel pressured to go to more than one place! I think maybe if we rent a place somewhere for the week, we could do day trips. That's what we did last year in Sevilla. While some people may think 8 days is too long in Sevilla, we thought it was so nice (As Therese mentioned) to go to our favorite cafe each afternoon for a cerveza (him) and espresso (me). It became "our place" that we didn't even have to name anymore by mid week.

So, would you stay in Venice for the week? Or where?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:45 AM

I'd say, pick two, and the more logical pairings in terms of proximity would be
Venice-Florence (with a daytrip or two into Tuscany) or Rome-Florence.
Unless you are going to fly, the Rome-Venice train trip is at least 4.5 hours.

I have files on the above cities; if you want to see any or all, email me.
[email protected]
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM

If you pick Venice , nice day trips include Verona (1 1/2 hours by train), Lake Garda area, Vicenza, ....or, go explore the coastal areas if that interests you. Definitely the more laid back option, if you want it to be.

Of course, far be it from me to ever attempt to dissuade anyone from visiting incredible Rome!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hi Janster. If you think there's a very good chance you'll return to Italy in the near future, then I'd say go ahead an base yourself in one city, or area, for the full seven days. I'd recommend either Venice or Rome. While some people find a couple days in Venice to be enough, we spent seven days there last spring and it still wasn't enough for us. Venice is seductive and enchanting. And it has...no cars or motorcyles, a real treat!

If you're not sure when you'll be able to return to Italy, however, then you might want to consider seeing two different major cities, in which case I'd recommend both Venice and Rome.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Other day trips from Venice would be Burano/Torcello (really part of Venice, but most people don't get to see them) and a boat trip up the Brenta canal to Padua with stops along the way to see Palladian villas. A bit museum-ish, of course, but there's the boat ride as well. I've not done this, but there is information about it on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

Most Venice guide books will mention day trip destinations. The train station in Venice is incredibly convenient: right on the Grand Canal, and well-served, so very easy to hop on and go somewhere. Though you may not want to, as Venice is quite cool all by itself. I recently spent a week there with my kids and had no trouble keeping us occupied without stepping into a single museum (other than the Doge's Palace).
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:30 AM
ira

topping for janster