Herculaneum to Mt. Vesuvius

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius on the same day and I've been looking for a bus schedule and all I could find was:

http://www.comune.ercolano.na.it/erc...suvio_2006.pdf

According to this, it shows that there's only 2 buses from Herculaneum to Vesuvius at 8:25AM and 12:45PM and there is only 2 return buses from Vesuvius to Herculaneum at 1:30PM and 5:25PM.

Would you guys recommend going through Herculaneum first and then going to Vesuvius or the opposite? I could do Herculaneum until 12:45PM and then go to Vesuvius or.....Should I go to Vesuvius first directly from Naples (or I could go to Ercolano-Scavi via train and catch a taxi) until 1:40PM and then to Herculaneum??

Has anyone else done this trip and could give me some advice??

Thanks!!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM

Based on our experience in September there's no bus company that covers that route. From Herculaneum you have to go to a minivan/taxi outfit right by the train station. It seems to be the only game in town for getting to Vesuvius. You have to wait until the van is full and then you go up for a predetermined length of time which they set. We incorrectly understood that if you miss the specified return trip for your van you can just take the next one back. They had a fit when we missed it and we had to ride in the luggage compartment of the next van. (We were told there were no buses that could get us down.)

Once you get back to the train station it's a short walk to the excavations. There are cabs that circulate and you can get a lift for a couple of euro. We climbed as far as they let you on Vesuvius so we were less than thorough in our exploration of the excavations. I wish we could have spent more time.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM

I've read similar tales about that minivan service from the station in Ercolano!

And it does seem there's now no scheduled bus from there... those once run by Vesuviana Moblilita (mentioned on the PDF you'd found) were taken over by EAVBus in 2008, whose website doesn't show any - although it's definitely not an exhaustive list of their routes!
http://www.eavbus.it/opencms/eavbus/...rie/index.html

Think you'll find that the options available at the moment are best described here...

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...action=vesuvio

The first, from and back to Naples, doesn't go near the Ercolano statiom.

The other, whose route begins near Pompei's Amphitheatre, is a collaboration between EAVBus and the Citysightseeing people and, even though their OpenTop HoHo bus isn't being used over the winter, I'd suggest that you use the "Download PDF Poster" link on THEIR site for a clearer version of the current timetable...

http://www.napoli.city-sightseeing.it/eng/percorsi.htm

If you do opt for going thatway - and take the train to Pompei Scavi - then the Transport map here will help you identify just where the bus stops, quite near to the Porta Marina entrance...

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...n=mappe_pompei

Peter
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Those are all great information, thanks A_Brit_In_Ischia I appreciate it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

I thought I had updated this thread after my trip last November but apparently not......I took the Train to the Ercolano and right in front of the station (with your back to the station) on your left hand side, there is a place you can go in and they'll take you up. Now, I went in November so I was able to go pretty much right away but I think they might make you wait until they are full during different seasons....Either way, they took us up to the ticket station on the mountain and told us to be be back in 2 hours. It was more than enough time to get up there and look around. Hope that helps!!