2-weeks in Europe

Old Feb 3rd, 1999, 05:59 PM
Susie

2-weeks in Europe

I am taking my 80-year old mother to Europe (her first time) in April. Starting in Paris, want to see Rome. What other cities/countries do you recommend? Are bus tours available and easy to schedule?
What about the train?

Old Feb 3rd, 1999, 06:37 PM
Cheryl Z.

Susie, just going from Paris all the way down to Rome is a long trip in itself, with lots to see and do along the way. And those are two cities that you will want to spend at least 3-4 days each in. Yes, bus tours of local sites are easy to arrange thru your hotel or on your own once you get there, but there is STILL lots of walking, lots of cobblestones, steps etc. (especially in Rome). which may not be very easy for your mom. I wouldn't want to discourage you though, I think taking your mom is great and it could be an absolutely wonderful and memorable adventure, but there will be things you need to consider. The trains are wonderful and fun, they are always on time, and you need to be prepared to move fast especially with connections. Plus you carry your own bags when you take the trains.
If you do go from Paris to Rome, you can go thru Switzerland if you actually do have time and really want to see another country. If your mom is in good health, can walk comfortably and has had some travel experience, with just some extra preparation, you could make this a great trip. I hope all works out and you both enjoy it!

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 10:47 PM
Carol

I travelled from Paris to to Venice to Innsbruk with my mother when she was about 70. Paris was hard because of all of the walking and the up and down of the subway. I do not know how difficult it is to arrange a bus tour of Paris, but I know there is a tourist office on the Champs Elyess, not far from the Arc du Triomphe. I recommend taking bus tours. Although my mother walks daily, all of the walking was stressful and hard on her.

We enjoyed Venice for its slower pace, with boat rides and lots of time for sitting at cafes and writing postcards.

My mother's favorite city was Innsbruck, mostly nostalgia from a trip taken in her forties.

Good luck to you and enjoy yourself. Spend lots of time at outdoor cafes (weather permitting) talking.

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 01:04 AM
Karen Ivory

Hi Susie,
I just came back from a trip to Europe, with my mother and Grandmother, and we actually had the most fantastic time. Mainland Europe was a little too cold to be enjoyable, but the uk and Ireland were well worth a visit. I am definatly going back this summer.
The Irish and Scottish especially are so friendly and welcoming, they organise everything for you and the history and landscape is breathtaking.
We stayed in each city with a group of hotels and inns, Jurys hotel Group, and they were so obliging. Their website is http://www.jurys.com
Forget Paris in the springtime visit the green hills and beautifil people of Ireland and Scotland.

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 03:17 AM
Jay Frank

As previously mentioned, you're covering a lot of territory. Our experience has been: (1) With the exception of a couple of sites (e.g., the Louvre) Paris is much overrated; (2) Strasbourg is an OUTSTANDING city, and convenient to both Paris and Switzerland by rail; Luzern, Switzerland is great, as is rail and ferry travel throughout that country; (3) Brugge is a bit out of the way (northwest of Paris) but also great; and (4) Venice is simply incomparable.

Have a fantastic trip!

Old Feb 10th, 1999, 07:10 PM
Susie

Thanks to all for your responses. Still looking for info on cities other than Paris and Rome. Does anyone have a favorite place in Switzerland and/or can anyone recommend the Eurorail trip that runs through Switzerland.

Old Feb 11th, 1999, 10:26 AM
Linda Freedman

Hi Susie, You should read our Switzerland 96 travelogue. It's on our non-commercial web site, TheTravelzine.com <http://thetravelzine.com>. It's packed with lots of info about traveling by train through Switzerland with specific information about hotels and restaurants. Enjoy!

Old Feb 11th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Linda Freedman

Hi Susie, You should read our Switzerland 96 travelogue. It's on our non-commercial web site, TheTravelzine.com <http://thetravelzine.com>. It's packed with lots of info about traveling by train through Switzerland with specific information about hotels and restaurants. Enjoy!

Old Feb 11th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Linda Freedman