Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks & 5 days with 4 & 6 year old - a week in Tuscany/ Umbria - and where else?

Search

2 weeks & 5 days with 4 & 6 year old - a week in Tuscany/ Umbria - and where else?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just under 3 weeks in Italy - ariving into either Milan or Bologna on 2 June and leave from Rome on 21 June (in the evening). There are 3 adults and 2 children.

Our tentative plans are;
- one week in Umbria somewhere ?
- one week in a agriturismo in Tuscany - proabably http://www.tenutabarbagallo.com/e_sangiovanni.htm (40km from Siena) or
- 5 nights somewhere ? Rome is a possibility or somewhere that is an easy drive to Rome (maybe ligurian coast ? )

Would welcome suggestions / comments on issues such as:
1/ should we spend a week each in Tuscany and Umbria (or should we stay 2weeks in one - and skip the other)
3/ where in Umbria do people recommend ? (other threads seem to rate the central area - near Perugia / Assisi - rather than further North - near Cortona / Citta di Castello. (note the apartments that come highly recommended at la Case Gialle are not big enough for us)
4/ If we are going to be at tenutabarbagallo - does that impact on the area of Umbria we should go to ? (ie not to overlap geographically)
5/ any suggestions for our last 5 nights would be appreciated ?
6/ Should we contemplate Rome - my concern is that it might be a bit full-on for our children - and not at all relaxing for us as we ready for our huge journey home to NZ). But happy to be convinced otherwise.

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:10 AM

The first time we took our girls to Italy they were 4 and 7 and their favorite place was, and still is, Rome. Kids love Rome so I don't think it is going to overwhelm them other than in a positive way. So much for them to see and do. The city would make a nice change from two weeks in the countryside. I love Umbria and think you should stay there a week and Tuscany a week. That will give you the chance to see both regions with fairly short drives, something to keep in mind with small children. My favorite area of Umbria is the Valnerina, the beautiful mountain and forest area around Norcia/Ferentillo. We spent a week at the Abbazia San Pietro in Valle near Ferentillo and loved it. But it doesn't have a pool, something you should try to have when traveling with the kids in summer.
Another favorite is Villa Monte Solare further north near Panicale and Perugia. Gorgeous property with two pools. But if you want an apartment rather than a pool, take a look at the Slowtrav.com website for lots of good suggestions in Umbria.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Here are my suggestions/comments:

Coming from as far away as you do, I'd offer that allocating 2 out of 3 weeks to Tuscany and Umbria is a mistake. Adjacent to one another, the two regions have much in common - I'd pick Tuscany for one week and forget Umbria.

Instead, I think you should include the Cinque Terre on your way from Milan.

As Grinisa suggests, I'd include Rome.

Is there a reason why you've omitted Venice???
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM

My concern with the Cinque Terre would be that with such young children, I would not want to take them on the hike between the towns, something that most people like to do when visiting that area. Also, in June, the place is going to be crawling with people carrying Rick Steves' guidebooks. Best to visit in the shoulder season.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Grinisa, we don't know the kids' ages and I think that just being on board boats and around the water would be fun (and a relaxing break) for all - no need to do the hiking, etc...
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM

TuckH: you have overlooked the title of this post...kids ages 4 and 6.

Salandos:As one person ,who had kids about the same age, said: they very much enjoyed Rome. It IS,however, a large bussling city and kids that age DO get tired walking and walking.

Also the Sorrento Area would be fun for them...boat to Capri, other day trips, and a smaller city to stroll around. I understand you will have a car.. and that is great.
Umbria and Tuscany do not offer much contrast when you consider the entire country of Italy...
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
jgg

I agree with the others who stated that a week in Umbria and a week in Tuscany would not be a good idea as they are very similar.

Consider instead a week in Umbria and a week on the Ligurian Coast. Last June we stayed 4 nights in Lerici on the Ligurian coast and really enjoyed it (wish we had spent some more time there). While staying in Lerici we did the Cinque Terre by boat - probably more fun for your kids than hiking, and went to a marble quarry in Carrara - very interesting. We also, enjoyed a day lazing on the beach. I think a week on the beach and a week in the countryside will give your whole group more of a contrast.

I have to agree with the others about going ahead and doing Rome. You will have spent two weeks in a more relaxing environment, if you don't plan to do too much in Rome I think you will really enjoy it.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM

>TuckH: you have overlooked the title of this post...kids ages 4 and 6.<

Yes, I missed that - mea culpa.

However, all the more reason to give the kids a break - perhaps this sequence: Tuscany, CT and Rome. We too stayed near Lerici and very much enjoyed using the boat transportation to visit the five towns plus Portovenere.