Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany- is 3.5 weeks TOO long in Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of renting a villa in Tuscany for 3.5 weeks. With our children (ages 2 and 6) is this too long? We thought wed have a base in Tuscany & do side trips? Any thoughts/recommendations?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Unless you have already seen every other place in Italy, then I would think you want 'Tuscany and' intead just one location for a three plus week trip.

Have you looked at the Slow Travel website?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I don't think that's too long at all. We spent 3 weeks there on one of our many trips to Tuscany & enjoyed the slower pace. If you get bored, pack an overnight bag & spend a night or two in Florence.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM

3-4 weeks is perfect for Tuscany.

Gives you lots of time to sit round the pool, catch up on reading (bring your own: Italians don't read) and work your way through the local wines.

Anything less and you'll waste valuable holiday time dragging the poor kids round Sienese Madonnas.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Joaniejd: I have spent three weeks three TIMES in Tuscany and it still hasn't been enough. It is a real luxury to spend that much time in a place. We rented a farmhouse each time, and had a car. we drove to all sorts of wonderful villages for lunch, we cooked, we walked, we photographed, it is super.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

If we decided to do 2 weeks in Tuscany with a week at the beach..it seems a lot of beaches are very public & busy, even the small little beaches. Is it possiblet o find a anice "resort" like you'd find in the caribbean where it is more private (no one selling anything to you on the beach) but also nice sand for my 2 kids?? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
ira

Hi J,

If you are looking to relax, unwind and enjoy the family, you have a great idea.

A week at the beach might be a vacation at home, but is just adding logistical problems to your Tuscany vacation.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
J62

I'd jump at the opportunity for 3+ weeks in Tuscany. I would book one place for the entire time, but would also take several 1-2 night side trips somewhere.

You could travel very light, leaving all but a small overnight bag at the villa.

I've done a trip like that before (with small kids), except in Bavaria. It was great to have a home base to return to, but also the freedom to decide on a not too far away destination on a whim. It was very enjoyable to thoroughly explore the local area, get to know (or at least be recognized & welcomed back by) shopkeepers, restaurateurs, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Every year we stay in Tuscany for 4 to 6 weeks and it is wonderful. Rent an Agriturismo with a swimming pool and the kids will love it. We always stay at Le Selvole in Radda ... spectatular grounds, pool, your own apartment and a good rate. Also, if you rent for 3 week or so, you can ask for a discount because you are a long term rental.

Just as the others have mentioned, an agriturismo can be a perfect base and use your location for day trips.

As to a beach location, I only know a few, but most Italian beaches are pretty crowded in July and August. Maybe try for a town that caters to Italians. Lerici is a great costal town that has very few tourist. There are also a few towns north of Grosseto that I've heard are good. I don't know of any resort but maybe just avoid the town you always hear about. AND keep in mind that you could just stay in the same apartment in Tuscany and really enjoy the pool.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Why not spend part of your time at Lake Trasimeno, just over the Umbrian border? The beaches won't be up to Caribbean/US standards for size or facilities, but they would be quite a bit quieter than the Tusacan coast, and it's very pretty there. I'd suggest you get somewhere to stay with a pool, though, for swimming. Plus you can do daytrips from there to parts of Tuscany - it's close to Cortona and not far from Arezzo - and to Umbria (e.g. Assisi and Perugia).
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Hi joan, family members rented a villa in Tuscany for three weeks and were a bit worried maybe that would be to long but they really needed to have a "nonbusy" time. At the end of three weeks they all wished they had arranged to have stayed there four weeks. They so enjoyed their vacation and enjoyed all of their side trips. Other times in Italy were travelling from place to place and they always came home a bit weary. I think with little ones your idea is very practical and I would imagine you will have a beautiful, fun and relaxing time.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I'm only curious about the rental arrangements. More often than not a month rental will cost LESS than 3 weeks. Is there a reason you're choosing 3.5 weeks? Or is that the total length you have for your vacation?

Is this the total trip or part of a longer one? Normally I too would suggest Tuscany AND somewhere else like Rome or Venice, but with 2 and 6 year olds, I really see nothing wrong with your plan.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Sorry. My mistake. Your posts are getting confusing. When you said here that the children are ages 2 and 6 I assumed you were giving ages in years. Now I see on another post you say they are 3 (maybe looking ahead) and 6 MONTHS old, not years. Big difference in travel and all the more reason to stay put.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:25 AM

No time in Tuscany is too long-can I go w/you?-I will babysit(I have 3 of my own) & sleep on the floor-all kidding aside, go for as long as you can & savor each day. Good Luck
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM

If gorgeous beaches are a MUST, then Tuscany probably isn't the best destination.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM

The OP, Joaniejd, is suspected of being a travel agent, getting us to do her work for her. The ages of her children vary widely as well as her purported destinations.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM

After reading over 10-13 other posts basically asking the same question-one would wonder?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why are you going to Tuscany, if you want a beach like the Caribbean?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Before answering you might want to check out this posters other posts where her children are 2 & 6 year old and another where she has 3 children.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Sorry - meant to post - check out her other posts where her children are 3 & 6mos and another where she has 3 children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -