Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 restaurants in Amsterdam, have you been there? Help!

Apr 10th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi!
I'm looking for a good typical restaurant in Amsterdam. A nice Dutch decor is as important as the good food. It should not be too pricey (I'm a student) but still nice (because it is for a special occasion). I was looking on the net and found these two:

Piet de Leeuw
http://www.diningcity.com/ams/pietdeleeuw/nl/index.html

Het Karbeel
http://www.diningcity.com/ams/hetkarbeel/nl/index.html

Has anyone gone to one of those two? I'd like to get an opinion of someone who's experienced them. If not, did you go to one similar to these two?
Thanks,
Christelle
Apr 10th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Haven't been to either, but a restaurant that wasn't too pricey with excellent seafood was Oosterbar -- but that was a few years ago. It's located by a nice square called the Leidseplein. Good luck.
Apr 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM
ira

Hi C,

Have you looked up the guide to Amsterdam restaurants at www.fodors.com?

You can also look for reviews at www.tripadvisor.com
Apr 10th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi! I did have a look at different websites and searched the forum. I came up with the two restos mentionned above, but wanted to hear personal experiences and get direct recommendations.
Apr 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Hotel Okura has a marvellous Japanese restaurant which I believe has 1* Michelin. The chicken skewers (chicken yakatori?) were succulent, tender and absolutely spot on.

Dutch cuisine isn't to my taste, have something international.
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Hey C,

Try the 'recession resto's' at SpecialBite - I've never had a bad meal from their recommendations:

http://www.specialbite.com/fav_result.html?type=11&ic=1

HTH and have a great 'event'
, )
Apr 10th, 2004, 07:13 PM

you'd be better off eating the Indonesian food you will find all over.
Apr 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Why doesn't anyone like Dutch food? Borenkool met rookworst and kip saté rules!!
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Hello christellefv,
I was recently in A'dam and ate dinner in various places. A special and very old-Dutch place was Vlif Vliegen (Five Flies) in the Spui neighborhood. Yes, it's just a little "touristy" but it was very good and had various tasting menus at several price ranges. I had the five-course vegetarian menu (which I was skeptical about at first in this land of heavy meat eating) for about 38 Euro and it was fabulous. The dining area is actually three or four smaller rooms, very intimate and low lighting. The waitstaff was really great. Everyone dining there seemed to be celebrating something, or to be in a very nice mood indeed generally.
Apr 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I would also recommend the 5 Flies, as a special occasion. It is a bit pricey and touristy, but not much. Shave some money off some of your other expenses to enjoy this unique, old, and really Dutch restaurant at least once in your life.
Apr 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM

I'll second that - borenkool rocks!! Just remember to make a pool with your white vinegar . . .
Apr 16th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I have lived one year in Amsterdam. I know how to eat my borenkool met rookworst.. I like it with a bit of mustard on the side. I'm just not too familiar with restaurants as I used to cook at home most of the time. Ciao!
Apr 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM

I lived in Amsterdam many years ago. Piet de Leeuw was a favorite as it was quite affordable. Just be sure you order beefsteak if that is what you want. About the 3rd or 4th time I was there I learned the steak I had been ordering was actually horse. Memories of Black Beauty notwithstanding, it was delicious.

The Five Flies is an excellent old line restaurant. There is a great little bar quite nearby, Bij Hoppe.

I would also suggest an Indonesian restaurant though none come to mind at this moment. There are several good ones, ask almost anyone at your hotel/hostel. You will also enjoy the Dutch sandwich shops, Broodjeswinkels. Terrific little sandwiches that are positively addictive.

Oh, and I liked my rookworst met wittebonnen and a sharp mustard as well!
Lekker!

Have fun.
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Just thought of something over the weekend.....

How about De Belhamel on the Brouwersgracht? I haven't eaten there yet but have passed by in the evening on my way to or from Siberie (wink, wink) and each time it looked like a welcoming place with happy people. Can't beat the location for character, either.

Another one - De Luwte on Leliesgracht. I've had a number of really memorable meals there. The setting is very romantic, if that matters.

But I still like the Vlif Vliegen for all the reasons posted above, and more. I remember a complimentary, house-made cordial that was served with my dessert - it was flavored with honey and herbs and was the perfect ending to the evening.

Gotta stop now. Getting nostalgic and lonely for the 'Dam.
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your recommendations!!