2 questions about london

Search

2 questions about london

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 questions about london

1. get cash here, and exchange before we go or at the airport, OR use credit cards for most purchases there, OR get cash from ATM's over there. what has the best exchange rate in your experiences?

2. has anyone ever had their cellphone service adjusted so that they can call back home when they are in the UK? does it work? my provider has that option, but i'm not sure it's worth it....

THANKS!

julie
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Give them an itinerary and have THEM call YOU if something "drastic" occurs.

Get cash at ATMs and use your CC whenever possible otherwise.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Julie, it used to be that getting cash out of ATMs there was the best way for cash and then using your credit card as much as possible for other charges. But recently I think all visas and mastercards have started adding enormous (3%) fees onto the already 1% international transactions fees, so actually, I'm not sure what's best anymore. I'll be curious to see what others tell you.

Don't know about the phone.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I usually get a minimal amount of the foreign currency at home, just for taxis, tips, a quick bite, etc. when we arrive. AFter that it's CCs whenever possible and ATMs over there for cash.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM

We found that banks in Edinburgh did NOT want to exchange cash for pounds unless we were a customer. We ended up using our ATM card and had no problems at all. My bank charged a $3 fee for each transaction and we got a good exchange rate.

I'd suggest getting a few pounds from you local bank if possible before you go and then use your ATM and credit cards for the remainder of your travels.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I just got my Capital One Visa statement for the period I was in London in March. All the transactions are at about 1.89 to 1.95 (in other words £10 came out charged as $19.50) depending on the day. The exchange rate of course fluctuates from day to day, but that's about what it was durifng the period I was there. So it looks like Capital One did not add anything. The cash I took out of the ATMS came out about the same (e.g. I took out £100 and my bank account went down $195).

Based on that I advise getting some cash from ATMs when you get there and using your credit card for most purchases (assuming you have a Capital One or similar card). I haven't gotten foreign cash before a trip in years, it always costs more that way. ATMS are everywhere in Europe.

As far as the cell phone goes, I bought a Virgin Mobile Sim card for £10 ($19.94) (and put it in my Cingular unlocked quad band cell phone) and I made a ton of local calls (to other Virgin Mobile Cell Phones), and received free calls from the US. I was there 10 days and talked to the US daily (they called me on the cell phone). If you just switch your current US plan to international roaming I believe you are charged for incoming calls when you are overseas and it can add up to a huge amount.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I use cash and credit cards just like I would at home and don't worry about it. When I get home I check my statements and spot check the relative rates. I find it comes out about the same. It is comforting to have some local currency in my pocket when the plane lands but not essential.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM

HI
there are fees and surcharges and exchange rates,and I think it's all deliberately obfuscated, the way phone bills used to be with message units.

The best we can do is guess.
Use credit cards for as many purchases as possible.
Take local cash with your atm/debit card from ATMs judiciously.
Don't take amounts so small that you have to do it twice a day and keep accumulating transaction charges. On the other hand, over the course of the whole trip, if your ATM transaction fees add on another $20, on a per-day basis I don't think it's worth going crazy over.

I have the same attitude about transit passes.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all your help everyone - i kinda hope this thread keeps going so i get more opinions on the cash thing.

the idea of getting some virgin mobile time on our current phones is intriguing.....

julie
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM

If you let us know your phone model, cellular provider, how much you plan to call home, and how long you will be there, then we can better answer question #2. Phone model tells us whether you have the correct GSM frequencies and whether your phone can be easily/cheaply unlocked. Do you know if it's already unlocked? Provider lets us know what your roaming rate would be. Frequency of use and length of stay determines which option is most cost effective for you - international roaming or purchasing a local SIM.

I don't bother getting cash here or exchanging at the airport (I do bring some USD as a backup which I can exchange if I have to in an emergency). I find ATMs provide the best exchange unless you have a credit card that doesn't charge extra conversion fees. I have an ATM only card, not a visa/mastercard logo'd debit card. Check with your home bank to see if they charge any withdrawal fees though.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I like to use several methods:

Get enough for your arrival and first day ordered from your bank or an exchange bureau (not the best rates and fees are most likely involved).

ATM card for daily expenses (most convenient and best exchange rates, may involve a fee from your home bank $0-5 is standard).

Charge card for major expenses like hotel or very expensive meal (you can certainly use it for more than this, but I don't like to).

I carry U.S. cash (a couple hundred) stashed in the back of my wallet, for emergencies and taxi/airport expenses at the beginning and end of the trip.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several ATMs as you exit customs at Heathrow.More than one bamk is represented. My son's cellphone foumd a UK carrier on the way into London, I bet it wasn't cheap.