Search

cash in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cash in London

Ok we are really newbies at this. What should we take for cash to London? Will be there 5 days and then to Paris for 4 days. Cash there? Don't miss places? Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Dont' take any cash, save for a few hundred bucks - that's if you have charge cards or ATM cards. ATMs dot every corner it seems and if you have a 4-digit pin number your card will work at them - by far best rate of exchange and fewest fees. Just make sure you have enough funds in your checking account (ATM cards hooked to savings accounts, in my experience, may not work, but those to checking accounts do. Visa, AMEX and MCard can be used everywhere, Discover card is useless. Check with your charge card issuer for fees abroad as these can vary widely. ATMs usually only cost $3 or so to get out the usual max of about $250/day. Britain is very expensive, about twice as much as you'd spend in US on holiday i think. Take some travelers cheques in case your ATM card won't work for some reason - mine always have in the UK, but many banks in UK charge a minimum of 3-5 pounds (5-8$) to cash them! Plus the rate is often not as good as at ATMs, which in my experience have always used in inter-bank rate - the best possible.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:32 PM

I agree with the atms for most of your cash needs, but we are exchanging money at home so when we arrive we don't have to scout out an atm so we can pay for transport from the airport or a cup of coffee. Large banks and some travel agents in the U.S. will do that.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:01 AM

All Britain's airports have LOADS of ATMs in them (we call them "cashpoints" BTW).

Also all airports have at least one Bureau de Change that is open 24 hours.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:06 AM
ira

Hi sr,

I agree. Exchange about $100 at the departure airport (this will cost about $3 extra) for GBP and Euros if you don't want to bother looking for ATMs on arrival.

Otherwise, charge everything you can and use ATMs for cash.

Some people bring traveler's checks in USD for emergencies.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Hi ....

If you are flying into Heathrow, then as you come through passport control, there is a Bureau de change ... get some cash while waiting for bags

Mark
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Heathrow also has ATM machines and you'll get a better exchange rate.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM

This mention of bureau of exchange and ATM's reminds me of something. Although I totally rely on ATM's I do understand the perpetual worrier, in panic that no ATM will be working or an act of terror will have closed them all down. So in the past I've agreed that it might be worth the peace of mind to get some local currency before going. But for the life of me, I swear I've never heard of all the bureaus of change being closed for any reason. What's wrong with waiting till you get there, and IF for some incredible reason no ATMs can be found (like they covered them up in the night, or thieves ripped them loose and stole them) then just go to the change booth and get some local currency? That way you're only paying the EXTRA money in the event that you can't find an ATM.

Of course, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to spend the little sum of $15 dollars or so if it makes them feel better to have some cash on hand, but here's just another alternative.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM

We were on an almost identical time frame in London and Paris in June. We used ATMs to get cash. We landed in London with about 200 pounds. It lasted for days. We used credit cards for just about everything. In Paris, we had about 200 Euros when we landed. Even taxis take credit cards. Except for some small purchases from street vendors and sidewalk crepe stands, we hardly ever needed cash.

I found my self spending it on purpose just to get rid of it before we left! Oh, we did need .41 euro for the public toilette on the square in front on Notre Dame. That was weird!

Have a great time. We just loved our trip! Went with our two teenage daughters.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I was one of those worriers who was certain that I wouldn't find a working ATM in London. I decided to get some pounds before I left and it was a surprising hassle to find a branch of a bank that did this. I think it used to be more common. I also paid a terrible exchange rate.

There are LOTS of ATMs and if they happen to all be broken, every place I went in London took charge cards.

I wouldn't bother getting cash ahead of time. The rate on the ATMs is very good.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM

I would say Europe is ahead of the USA in ATMs, but still somewhat behind in credit card acceptance. The ATMs are every bit as reliable and efficient as here. But smaller businesses, restaurants and hotels in Europe still don't take credit cards, or at least, give raised eyebrows when they're presented to settle the bill (despite credit card logos in the window).
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
P_M

Keep in mind that when you make a w/d from the ATM in Europe, you are requesting that amount in local currency, not US dollars. Last year I met an American lady who was so pleased thinking the ATM actually gave her 100 euros for 100 dollars. I tried to explain that when she entered the "100" amount, she was requesting 100 euros, and her account would be charged more than that in dollars as the euro is stronger, but she didn't buy it. If only I could have seen the look on her face when she returned home and saw her bank statement!!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM

P_M, could you be referring to my mother-in-law?(LOL)
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM

sramnesia - on all my trips to London or Paris, I always use my Visa Card at ATM's (never had a problem yet). However, prior to leaving, I visit my bank, and purchase GBP's and Euros just to get me by until I get in my B&B.
For example in London, I know approximately how much the "Heathrow Express" trip will cost, and also the black cab from the station to my B&B, with a tip as well.
If you ask others on the board, they will tell you approx. how much you would need.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM

"But smaller businesses, restaurants and hotels in Europe still don't take credit cards, or at least, give raised eyebrows when they're presented to settle the bill (despite credit card logos in the window)."

What? I've traveled extensively all over Europe and I have yet to see any evidence of the above statement being even close to accurate. Rarely one may run into a place than doesn't take credit cards (just as can even happen in the good old USA), but it is certainly a big exception, not the rule. And I have ever to present a credit card at a place with logos in the window and be greeted with raised eyebrows or a request for cash instead.

On the other hand I've never stayed in a one star or lower type hotel, so maybe what you say is possible about them, but certainly not at any typical 2, 3 star or above place, small and family run or otherwise.