2 NIGHTS in ROME - NICEST HOTEL???

Apr 5th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

2 NIGHTS in ROME - NICEST HOTEL???

if we spend 2 nights in rome before heading to capri, where should we stay?
something really nice in a great location, please!
or any ideas of really nice hotels in naples?
thanks!!!
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Tell us your budget & we can suggest hotels to suit. If "really nice" is the object and money is no object, I'd say the Hotel de Russie in Rome.

I've just been choosing a hotel for a week in Naples, although I was looking for a fairly cheap option. My impression is that all the grand old hotels are on the seafront (in the Santa Lucia area) and while they may be very nice, it's difficult to get to other areas especially at night. I think a lot of people stay there because they are afraid of Naples' reputation & want to stick just to that one area.

I was looking for somewhere around the €100 pn mark & decided on the historic centre, but well away from Piazza Garibaldi (where the main train station is) which does sound dangerous. I might have gone for the Carrera 241 or the Neapolis but left it too late, so now we're staying at the Executive. Look at www.venere.com for other options - you can narrow it down by area & by what's available for your dates.

Also check reviews on www.tripadvisor.com.

Confused, though - are you planning to stay in Rome *and* Naples, or one or the other ? If the latter and you've not been to Rome before, it has to be Rome.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Others have recommended from time to time Grand Hotel Parkers in Naples, which is not on the seafront and appears to have a beautiful view. Can't speak from personal experience; maybe someone else can chime in with that.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Here's where I'd like to stay in Napoli.

http://www.hotelsanfrancesco.it/

Let me know if you do.

For Roma, Albergo del Senato. Hands down.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Also disagree with the advice that if you've never been to Rome, you have to go there first before going to Naploli.

The Greeks didn't feel that way!

Seriously, there is no "order" in which to see Italian cities and one is also "permitted" to go to Italy and bypass cities altogther.

Apr 5th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Neopolitan

I think we're still waiting for an idea of price. I've seen many people here give tons of information for similar requests of spectacular four or five star hotels only for the original poster to come back and say, "I was thinking of splurging 150 euro per night."

Apr 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info..
$$$ no object! i guess up to $500 per night would be fine...
Apr 5th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Albergo del Senato.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM

The Hotel de Russie would be more than that.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Pausanias

In Rome most of the deluxe hotels are at the Spanish Steps or Via Veneto area -- not favored locations for many these days. If you want this area, however, I can recommend the Intercontinental Hotel de la Ville at the top of the steps. It's sleek and attractive. The Grand Hotel de la Minerve looks like a luxury choice in a great location near to the Pantheon. I haven't stayed there myself but friends who have say it's very good.

In Naples I can recommend the Excelsior in Santa Lucia. Our room had a balcony and a view of the bay including Capri. The other two grand hotels in the area, the Vesuvio and the Santa Lucia are very similar.

It is true that you are a bit out of the way for exploring the city by night. The locals have responded with a wonderful innovation called "the taxi." These vehicles are for hire at any time of day or night and can take you anywhere in the city!!! I hope more municipalities adopt them in the future.

Apr 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Neopolitan

For that price I'd agree with Albergo del Senato in Rome and you can get a great room for that. I'd actually prefer it over the more "famous" Hassler or Eden or the Via Veneto hotels any day!

Apr 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I agree with the Albergo Del Senato recommondations. We stayed there last June and the location cannot be beat. We were able to walk just about everywhere. The hotel itself is nice, with a great roof top bar.
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

ok, i'm giving my travel agent thumbs up for the albergo del senato!!!
thanks for the recommendation!!!!
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Pausanasis, I take your point about taxis; but our guidebook basically says that if you take a taxi in Naples you *will* get ripped off. Was that not your experience ?
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Pausanias

Caroline --

I never had a problem with in-town taxis, which use a meter.

However . . . last time we were in Naples there was a transportation strike (nationwide) on the day we were to leave for Rome. Not wanting to just hang out, I hired a taxi to take us to Cumae and Baia, stopping at Avernus and the Phlegrean Fields. We agreed upon a price. He took us to the first two, and to some impressive ruins in another town, but then turned the car around towards Naples. I asked about Baia and Cumae.

"Closed for the strike," he said.

He took us back via a route with a panoramic view of the bay and Naples. At the hotel I gave him the exact amount we had agreed upon.

"No tip?"

"Why should I tip you? I hired you to take us to Baia. You knew it was closed."

"Well, yes," he agreed, "but I took the long way back to give you the view."

"That is true, but I wouldn't have taken the trip if I'd known it was closed."

"But I brought you to the extra stop . . . "

I could see that somewhere in his mind he believed he had earned his tip. He was a nice enough fellow, apart from his larcenous ways, and in the end we agreed that half a tip was the appropriate solution.

Apr 6th, 2006, 06:36 AM

What guidebook are you using?

I took taxis several places in Napoli without a problem. If you want to do an extended tour by taxi, ask your hotel to help you arrange it.

crumpet, I saw your other thread about getting to Ischia and Capri from Roem. Are you thinking of driving a car into Nappoli? Don't. I've drivien nearly thousands of miles in Italy, and I wouldn't drive in Napoli. I know Italians who won't drive in Napoli.

Apr 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM

nessundorma: at the moment I just have a Cadogan guide which is at least 8 years old, from the first time I went to the Amalfi Coast; but I have newer & better guidebooks on order !

Actually that old guidebook basically says that any form of transport in Naples is inadvisable - taxis will rip you off, a car will get stolen & buses are hot, crowded & full of pickpockets ! It hasn't put us off booking for a week But I thought we'd probably only use a taxi to get from the airport, & see if the hotel could book that for us. (We will be leaving by boat.) The rest of time I expect we'll be walking.
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:52 AM

P.S. Pausanias: good story ! At least he sounds nicer than the Madrid taxi driver, this Monday, who expected us to pay him what was on the meter (almost double the normal fare), which had carried on running while he took us on a 45 minute tour of some roadworks & then broke down twice en route to the airport ! Each breakdown involved about 10 minutes of him rolling the car backwards downhill to try to jump-start it (once on the motorway !!) & finally attacking something under the bonnet with a hammer. When we just gave him the normal favour we got a lot of abuse. And were lucky to make our flight. This was booked through the hotel, who have been informed.
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Pausanias

Funny story. Glad you made your flight.

Apr 6th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Thanks, caroline! I always wondered how these rumors about Napoli got started.

I walked everywhere I went in Napoli. Crossing the street is an incredible adventure. Our strategy was to hide behind old ladies for protection!

I wouldn't take buses just because the traffic in Napoli is so chaotic, I can't imagine being on a bus. Taxis were surreal enough.

We truly loved being in Napoli and can't wait to go back, but as Americans, it takes a real adjustment --and I live in New York City. There are many places in Napoli that are slums. That's the only way to put it. And in America, if you are in a slum, it's a dangerous place to be and you know it.

But in Napoli, if you are in a slum, it's not dangerous (although I wouldn't do it at night). But you *feel* like it is.

A few of the most compelling artworks in Napoli -- most especially the Cappella San Severo -- are located in some of the oldest neighborhoods of Napoli, in shadowy streets teeming with people and chaotic shopping. You can't avoid being a part of the chaos of Napoli if you want to see its treasures -- and its treasures are so worthwhile -- so it just feels like another world to be there.

I advise friends going to Napoli to ask their hotel manager to show them on a hotel map which areas to avoid at night. The train station area is filled with drug addicts and prostitutes, and it just doesn't make sense to be there.

I hope you like Napoli as much as I do. There simply is no way to hide its oddities, but I found it an incredibly rewarding Italian city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO