2 nights in Capri? To much??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in Southern Italy, and are planning on spending 4 nights in Sorrento (and make day trips to surrounding regions). We will also be going to Capri, and can't decide if one night is enough or 2 nights is better. Would we get a chance to see most and experience Capri in one night and two days (and spend an extra day in Sorrento), or should we extend it to 2 nights and 3 days? Much thanks!!
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:25 PM

I hate Sorrento, but LOVE Capri. But, I am rather posh. Many people don't like Capri because it has a "scene." You will see scads of the international jet setera walking around in their Tod's or Ferragamo's. You will also see day-trippers here, enjoying the scenery, by having picnics along the walkways. It is a clash of social classes, which is fun, in my opinion. Sorrento is more middle class, more mundane, ordinary. Although the scenery is breathtaking, you will see a plethora of ticky-tacky souvenir shops selling tea towels to the Brits who flock here. (You will see fish-n-chips shops, also.) In my opinion, Sorrento feels more like Brighton than Italy. Capri is fabulous, especially Quisisana, the grand hotel. I have stayed a week on Capri, and could have stayed a month. Put on your Killer Loop sunglasses, throw yourself into a chair at a cafe in the piazetta, have a Campari, and take it all in.
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Just to confuse you--Capri and its pleasures can be seen in a single long day trip by taking one of the boats to and from Sorrento, unless you want to do Capri's hiking trails or explore the whole island in detail. Like Sorrento, it is crowded in the summer. Sorrento makes a perfect base for the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Herculaneum (an easy train ride to the latter two from the Sorrento Circumvesuviana train station.) Both Capri and Sorrento have their tourist schlock, and Capri's is higher-class schlock, but I'd go with Sorrento.
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Taia- definitely stay at least 2 nights on Capri.... it's the most magical place.
A day trip is just not the same experience www.caprionline.com is a helpful site, I love the hotel Mamela the web site will link you to the hotels web site if you're interested.
la dolce capri
Fluffy
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:50 AM

I had this same issue, and decided to stay 2 nights. I will arrive in the late afternoon, just as most tourists leave, have a little time to look around and then will enjoy the relatively less crowded evening, which I hear is a magical time on Capri. I will then spend the next day exploring the island, and again have a nice evening. I leave the next morning for 2 nights in Ravello. This is really less than 3 days. It is one full day, 2 nights, and the bracketing evening and morning.

Of course, this is still a plan, so I can't tell you how it worked out, but it is one idea. When are you going? We go in October, so if you will be there first, be sure to post and let me know how your visit worked out!